Author Topic: Optic (RDS) Decision Time: Adviced Wanted  (Read 5510 times)

Offline 007_Bond

Optic (RDS) Decision Time: Adviced Wanted
« on: August 27, 2017, 10:15:11 AM »
Hey guys. I recently decided on a DPP but found a great deal on a MRO. So I feel like I've narrowed down my options for a new RDS for now to 2 choices:

Leupold DeltaPoint Pro
Trijicon MRO

There are pros and cons to each, as there are with everything, but I'm havin a tough time makin this decision. So I thought I'd ask for some advice here.

Leupold DPP
- Pro's: no sight picture obstructions, lightweight, better gradual brightness settings, auto on/off, clear glass, true 1x magnification, waterproof to 33 ft., warranty, Leupold Customer Service
Con's: MAYBE not as durable as a Trijicon or Aimpoint?(... might be due to smaller housing?), and the emitter can get covered by debris.

Trijicon MRO
- Pro's: Military Grade Ruggedness/Toughness (aluminum 7075), Clear Glass, Sharp Reticle, Waterproof up to 100ft, Battery Life, Bigger Objective View/Lens, seems like a more full package optic (brightness knob that goes up and down versus the one button brightness on the DPP, full size housing)
- Con's: Slightly Over 1x Magnification (up to 1.05x) creates image imbalance, pretty obstructional sight picture with the turrets and brightness knob on top, red glare in certain situations. Also - compared to the DPP it can feel like your still looking through a tube with the MRO.

Anyways - this is a good place start. I will be using this on a CZ Scorpion EVO 3.

So my 2 main questions are...

- Is the Trijicon that much tougher than the Leupold DPP?

- Which would you recommend I go for?

Price doesn't make a difference as I have enough money for either and got a really good deal on both and they're pretty close to each other.

All it really boils down to this...

Do I want something that's:

a. ) Proven to be basically invincible, has a better brightness/intensity dial and extremely long battery life ... or ...
b.) Small size, and obstruction free view of the DPP? (But the potential that the light emitted could get covered by debris, etc.)

That's all I have to decide really. But it's still a tough choice.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 12:00:51 PM by 007_Bond »

Offline Thrillbilly

Re: Optic (RDS) Decision Time: Adviced Wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 12:13:39 PM »
Both are great choices.  I think it comes down to intended use.

On the Leupold, If you are looking for compact size, it is very small and light. It stays out of the way, which is cool. I think the smaller display area makes it more appropriate for the range. All of the RMRs ive used takes a little getting used to to find the dot quickly.  From a toughness standpoint, it will probably survive a drop or two, but it is fragile compared to a full sized red dot or holosight.

With the Trijicon, you are getting a heavy grade component that will be geared toward hard use and combat. That optic is quickly becoming a favorite for a lot of shooters. It is quick to use and fast on target.

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 12:25:43 PM »

On the Leupold, If you are looking for compact size, it is very small and light. It stays out of the way, which is cool. I think the smaller display area makes it more appropriate for the range. All of the RMRs ive used takes a little getting used to to find the dot quickly.  From a toughness standpoint, it will probably survive a drop or two, but it is fragile compared to a full sized red dot or holosight.

With the Trijicon, you are getting a heavy grade component that will be geared toward hard use and combat. That optic is quickly becoming a favorite for a lot of shooters. It is quick to use and fast on target.

Thanks so much. Due to ruggedness alone I may have to choose the Trijicon even though I kinda prefer the Leupold right now cuz of sight picture and size.

Offline Thrillbilly

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 01:22:31 PM »
MAC has made a few videos of the MRO and it on the Scorpion.

MRO review

On Scorpion

There aren't a lot of Deltapoint reviews on the Scorpion that I can find.  One thing also to consider is that Leupold warranty. It is first class and if you ever break that Delta Point, they will cover it.  I really love Leupold gear, everything I own of theirs from my VX1 to my VX5 is top notch on quality and craftsmanship.  You can't go wrong.

(All of that said, I went in a slightly different direction for the Scorpion myself.  I went with a Vortex Spitfire 1x and no Irons. The Spitfires prismatic lens has an eteched reticle so batteries are not a big worry, since it still has a reticle without power.  It also has a 1moa center dot, which is perfect for the range.  Nice big bight picture, and two additional ailing rings if I need really fast target acquisition.  It works well on a 9mm.)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:36:13 PM by Thrillbilly »

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 01:50:58 PM »

MRO review

On Scorpion

There aren't a lot of Deltapoint reviews on the Scorpion that I can find.  One thing also to consider is that Leupold warranty. It is first class and if you ever break that Delta Point, they will cover it.  I really love Leupold gear, everything I own of theirs from my VX1 to my VX5 is top notch on quality and craftsmanship.  You can't go wrong.

(All of that said, I went in a slightly different direction for the Scorpion myself.  I went with a Vortex Spitfire 1x and no Irons. The Spitfires prismatic lens has an eteched reticle so batteries are not a big worry, since it still has a reticle without power.  It also has a 1moa center dot, which is perfect for the range.  Nice big bight picture, and two additional ailing rings if I need really fast target acquisition.  It works well on a 9mm.)

Thank you. Yes I've seen those. The more I look through the MRO the I realize and am aware of the distracting features it has (slight maginificatjon, big tumors on the top / and side, and the light emitter outdent inside the lens). * I know this seems nit-picky and for those who might nag about me noticing these things... I'm not just looking through it on my couch in my living room. Also - The Firearm Blog mentioned this very thing (light emitter) as I just found out by reading their review this afternoon.) These distractions might just be too much for me to bare and compromise with.

Yeah that Leupold warranty is "GOLD" if I ever need it.

I've considered the Vortex Strikefire as well, mostly cuz it would helps any astigmatism issues. And their warranty is obviously great too but I still feel Leupold is a higher quality build. Main reasons I steered away from the Vortex Strikefire Prismatic 1x is its size. I want as small-ish of a profile as I can get. And ... no offense, but I wanted more of a top tier optic company.

Offline Thrillbilly

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 02:40:06 PM »

Thank you. Yes I've seen those. The more I look through the MRO the I realize and am aware of the distracting features it has (slight maginificatjon, big tumors on the top / and side, and the light emitter outdent inside the lens). * I know this seems nit-picky and for those who might nag about me noticing these things... I'm not just looking through it on my couch in my living room. Also - The Firearm Blog mentioned this very thing (light emitter) as I just found out by reading their review this afternoon.) These distractions might just be too much for me to bare and compromise with.

Yeah that Leupold warranty is "GOLD" if I ever need it.

I've considered the Vortex Strikefire as well, mostly cuz it would helps any astigmatism issues. And their warranty is obviously great too but I still feel Leupold is a higher quality build. Main reasons I steered away from the Vortex Strikefire Prismatic 1x is its size. I want as small-ish of a profile as I can get. And ... no offense, but I wanted more of a top tier optic company.

Oh, none taken man, I usually go with the highest end optics I can on my gear. Vortex is my minimum acceptable standard and I buy the the Spitfires because of the prism. (I have 2 of them).  Everything else is Leupold in my safe.

Sounds like the Delta Point is the clear winner for your Scorpion.  If you don't mind, can you post some pictures and a range report after you get it?

Offline TAPnRACK

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 03:51:52 PM »
I am picking up my Scorpion w/Flash Can model on Friday... I am putting an MRO on it since I have one not on a rifle at the moment.  I have a low mount so we'll see if it co-witnesses the irons.  Sig makes a really nice red dot as well.... that won't break the bank.  I'll post pics and review once It's setup. 

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:03:07 AM by TAPnRACK »

Offline tact

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »
Weird question perhaps, with respect to the MRO, but are you looking at the targets with both eyes open with the optic mounted at the right position on the weapon?  I just don't get all these obstruction or tube cons that keep being brought up. 

In any case, there is also the Leupold LCO for about 150 more, or even the Vortex UH-1 that offers a holographic site which some people seem to prefer of common red dots.

Offline SKILCZ

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 04:33:20 PM »

Thanks so much. Due to ruggedness alone I may have to choose the Trijicon even though I kinda prefer the Leupold right now cuz of sight picture and size.

If you want small and light, why not look at Trijicon RMR?  That compares more readily to the Leupold DPP and has a similar shape with a smaller, less tubular peripheral housing. 

Offline Thrillbilly

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 05:02:56 PM »
Weird question perhaps, with respect to the MRO, but are you looking at the targets with both eyes open with the optic mounted at the right position on the weapon?  I just don't get all these obstruction or tube cons that keep being brought up. 

In any case, there is also the Leupold LCO for about 150 more, or even the Vortex UH-1 that offers a holographic site which some people seem to prefer of common red dots.

There are a few schools of thought on it. People sometimes go with both eyes ooen, some with one closed.  I have been conditioned over 30 years of shooting to close one eye, and that instinct follows through with CQB optics.  I tend to ignore the windsge, elevation, battery, and brightness knobs on just about every optic. Its not much different than a good peep sight or some irons with shrouding.

Some optics, especially the older strikefire style ones are a problem for me though.  Between flip up caps, side controls, etc, it's just too much. Lie this,

For a long time I liked EOTechs, but I had two fail me and got rid of them. But i liked the sight picture.

The MRO, isn't too bad,

But the delta point, as with other RMRs have almost no obstructions at all.

For reference, the Spitfire isn't too bad,

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 09:14:39 AM »

If you want small and light, why not look at Trijicon RMR?  That compares more readily to the Leupold DPP and has a similar shape with a smaller, less tubular peripheral housing.

I am not going with the RMR because the glass isn't as clear as the Luepold's glass. And I don't need something smaller than the Luepold

Offline Shootingblanks

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 09:53:41 AM »
I'm in the same boat.  I went to Fin Fur Feather and looked at several optics.  I didn't really care for the MRO.  I did like the Leupold DPP and the Aimpoint T2.

I've narrowed it down to those two.  I will be using it for USPSA and like no obstructions for quick target acquisition.  The DPP has nice sight picture and limited obstructed view.  I shoot with both eyes open and am leaning towards the DPP but my Aimpoint on my AR is very durable.

Offline earlan357

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 12:47:01 PM »
I have had both on my range toy SBR.  Neither co-witness with the factory irons if that matters to you.  One option is to run an AR height mount that you can see through, allowing you to use the factory irons through the mount.  I'm running Troy Low-Profile BIUS.  Currently I have a 3.25 MOA RMR on an ADM low mount.  I prefer the 3.25moa RMR dot to the 2moa dot on the MRO.  I don't think the Evo is capable of 3.25 moa at 100 yards, let alone 2moa.  I think a 6.5 would be more appropriate but the 3.25 was on sale.  I love the MRO on my AR's, but it just seems out of place on such a small gun.  Both the RMR and MRO have slight magnification, like 1.1x.  It's minimal but the distortion is there.  The MRO has a wider field of view, but the RMR window almost disappears.  The MRO also has finer adjustments, but since the EVO isn't a precision rifle, it's not a big deal.

Also, Cabelas is having a heck of a sale on RMRs at $290.  They are auto-adjust only models.  For competition though, the auto-adjust only might not be optimal.  If you are in the shade, shooting into a bright area, the sensor often thinks you're in the dark and doesn't brighten the dot enough.  I prefer the manual adjustables on serious guns, but these are great on my range toys.  The fiber/tritium models suffer the same problem with brightness as the auto-adjust only models too.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/TRIJICON-RMR-LED-SIGHT/2053594.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Drmr

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 01:49:46 PM »
My evo pistol "with reloads" does about 3-4 inch size groups so say 4moa at 100 yards with 124 FMJ hp's and CFE pistol powder, 115's are more of 5+ inch size group. 147's are as accurate the 124's but you need to aim pretty high to make it down there  ::). I got 147s to go to an 8 inch gong at 175ish a couple times but all you hear is a faint "tink" and it doesn't even hit it hard enough to make it swing on the chains.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 01:53:17 PM by SouthernScorp »
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline mb60evo

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 01:20:17 PM »
To throw something else in.........I use my Evo 3 carbine with a Bushnell TRS-25.

Low mount, no riser. It stays pretty much out of the way.

anything