Author Topic: black nitride refinish  (Read 1417 times)

Offline greystonedog

black nitride refinish
« on: January 15, 2020, 04:33:52 PM »
Anyone have a pre B  or B black nitrided, frame and slide,  Do the high temps cause any problem, brittleness or warping? Looking for a good refinish on my pre B , Thanks

Offline Jigo23

Re: black nitride refinish
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 07:43:34 PM »
Anyone have a pre B  or B black nitrided, frame and slide,  Do the high temps cause any problem, brittleness or warping? Looking for a good refinish on my pre B , Thanks
Me too, was thinking about seeing if Nighthawk would do their smoked nitride finish on it.  Either that or just get it nicely blued.

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 10:11:33 PM »

Nitride actually hardens the metal I believe. It's not paint so I don't believe it can chip. Warping? Not sure how that would manifest itself. I don't believe that is possible.

Nitride and melonite I believe are the same thing.

CZ produced the Shadow 2 in black nitride so they trust it. I think it's a tried and true finish.

As far as looks are concerned, it's not for that. It's meant for utility but there's a beauty in that.

I have had some guns refinished in nitride. I like them.

I've also done Cerakote myself. I like them.

I've had some hard chromed. I like them.

I've done some in other tinted PVD finishes. I like them.

I've rust blued a few. It's very tedious but I love the look. I don't know how durable it is but I believe part of the beauty is how it wears.

Choose something you think looks good and don't look back.

Things I would stay away from :
Spray paint
Bottle blue - the brush on Bluing pens or swabs
Duracoat - Cerakote is better

Places I go to for finishes:
Nitride - Fire4Effect
Hard Chrome - Fords Custom Plating (in Florida)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:32:16 PM by Underwhere »

Offline spt_1955

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 09:33:38 PM »
+1 on Fords Custom for Hard Chrome.

Offline Ipleathe2nd

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 06:34:37 PM »

Nitride actually hardens the metal I believe. It's not paint so I don't believe it can chip. Warping? Not sure how that would manifest itself. I don't believe that is possible.

Nitride and melonite I believe are the same thing.

CZ produced the Shadow 2 in black nitride so they trust it. I think it's a tried and true finish.

As far as looks are concerned, it's not for that. It's meant for utility but there's a beauty in that.

I have had some guns refinished in nitride. I like them.

I've also done Cerakote myself. I like them.

I've had some hard chromed. I like them.

I've done some in other tinted PVD finishes. I like them.

I've rust blued a few. It's very tedious but I love the look. I don't know how durable it is but I believe part of the beauty is how it wears.

Choose something you think looks good and don't look back.

Things I would stay away from :
Spray paint
Bottle blue - the brush on Bluing pens or swabs
Duracoat - Cerakote is better

Places I go to for finishes:
Nitride - Fire4Effect
Hard Chrome - Fords Custom Plating (in Florida)

Great info thanks

Offline Old-Duckman

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 08:02:14 PM »
Me too, was thinking about seeing if Nighthawk would do their smoked nitride finish on it.  Either that or just get it nicely blued.

Got an Interarms Pre-B import a couple years ago, reground the trigger guard profile, disassembled and polished it then sent it off to a local shop that ran it through their hot blu tank (I gave mine up years ago). They charged me $50 + tax...pleased with the results. I think the beauty of a hot blued firearm (one properly polished of course) is hard to beat.

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 08:07:42 PM »

Got an Interarms Pre-B import a couple years ago, reground the trigger guard profile, disassembled and polished it then sent it off to a local shop that ran it through their hot blu tank (I gave mine up years ago). They charged me $50 + tax...pleased with the results. I think the beauty of a hot blued firearm (one properly polished of course) is hard to beat.

That looks like around a 1993 or so?
It looks great.

anything