Author Topic: Ever start a match poorly and never recover?  (Read 3380 times)

Offline Joe L

Re: Ever start a match poorly and never recover?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 04:58:01 PM »
I'll add some specifics based on last weekend's bullseye match.  It was our first club 2700 match, 900 rimfire, 900 centerfire, 900 .45.  We ususally just do an 1800 match and are done by lunch time.  Last year, with the back and hip injuries, I barely finished the 1800 matches, but I've had some operations and injections and am feeling much better, so the goal was to finish the 2700 match and see how I felt. 

Problem was I was dehydrated when we started the match due to medication inbalances that i'm still working on.  I shot the best slow fire match targets ever on the first two targets and finished up a good rimfire match.  I wasn't holding the gun as steady as usual, so my scores were down some but good enough for the win. 

But, by the time I got to the centerfire match, I was struggling and was very inconsistent.  Only one good target, a 95-4x in rapid fire.  Still had a good score relative to the other shooters, but was down a bunch from what I can shoot normally. 

But the back and hip were doing great so I decided to hang in there in spite of the poor wiggle control.  I needed to know if I could survive a 2700 point match.  So, I shot through it, and the score was halfway between the rimfire result and the first centerfire target. 

I finished a 2700 match!!  I know now that I can do it, physically.  The scores were bad, but the training and experience were priceless.  The last match was in a heavy crosswind, so that didn't help, which means shooting those fairly well considering I was shaking the gun was a confidence booster also. 

All I have to do is get a magnesium/potassium balance straightened out and still not hurt my blood pressure while allowing me to take some NSAIDs.  Then I can hold the gun steady, like i did on Friday shooting a 99-5x target with the .22 and a 98 with the .45 and no bad scores. 

Competitive shooting is for problem solvers and disciplined people.  Folks can learn to be volunteers as well as shoot a match.  Old folks can learn to regulate their medications to control their pain and still not get dehydrated enough that they can't hold the gun steady.  I hope.

Joe
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 05:51:10 PM by Joe L »
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 05:41:26 PM »
I went into a stage once and man did I have a plan.....if there is such a thing it was fool proof.
8 shoots from the most perfect spot , most guys had to move twice to get all 8 shots off. Running mag change 4 steel right 4 steel left, move mag change new port 3 paper 6 shots to the last fault line mag change while getting there, new port texas star. done
What I didnt realize was I picked up my mags from the last stage and pouched them, thats right I never took them out to reload them before the next stage.

The next 2 stages where a little lack luster but as your did my gun ran flawlessly.

Just another day in paradise.

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 07:18:42 PM »
It usually takes me a stage to start seeing correctly, meaning seeing my sights/shots.  I don't know if I'm rushing or my brain isn't responding fast enough but after the first stage I generally settle down and shoot better.  It doesn't help that I'm not able to shoot more frequently.  I generally shoot once or twice a month.  I also should start a dryfire regimen to keep everything current and repeatable.

There's always the mental blips that can ruin an otherwise great stage.  I find that even though I prep a stage with a certain plan sometimes the buzzer goes off and autopilot takes over with it's own plan (generally for the worse).

I always reset my gear after I shoot so as to not forget.  During the next shooter I will reload magazines and check each mag on my belt.  Then I will return to helping out taping, brass, Scoring, etc...

Healthy competition does motivate me to shoot better.  I have shooters I am gunning to beat and we rub it in when we do!  It's fun and adds a little extra to the match.

Cheers,
Toby

This forum rocks!

anything