Author Topic: How to NOT grip your gun  (Read 7955 times)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

How to NOT grip your gun
« on: September 15, 2017, 05:26:17 PM »

The idea of the left thumb countering the trigger finger pushing towards the weak hand.... Just don't accept this. The strong hand fingers squeeze the front strap back into your hand. Your trigger finger squeezes or slaps the trigger back in the same exact direction. The weak hand squeezes to steady it all. No accomplished competitors teach what is in this video.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: How to NOT grip your gun
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 12:09:34 AM »
This is fast shooting??with a relatively BIG target at 7 yards?   Is it required to reestablish your grip after each shot?   Whether you jerk or whatever you do to the trigger pull/press???
 :)

Offline SI_Pop

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 01:47:55 AM »
Umm, I'm glad I never watched any videos like this before firing my pistol for the first time. Whatever he's trying to do, I have to agree with Scarlett... He's doing it wrong!
1) Cajunized CZ 75 Pre B
2) Soon to be Cajunized SP-01c
3) SP-01 Shadow

Offline frgood

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 09:24:58 AM »
This 'theory' would counter the use of a thumbrest that some competitors install to help with recoil control. Second, re-gripping between each pull indicates a skill level I am not ready to learn from.

[sadly, I find myself piling on]
It all sounded a lot funnier in my head.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 09:48:14 AM »
I just pulled a gun out and tried it.
Nope.
Not gonna work for me.
Going to stay with the grip I've had for the last 50 years.
My gross motor skills where I only pull a single finger to fire the weapon seems to work out OK most of the time.

But hey, I'm proud of myself for at least trying to see if it would work. LOL

Offline jabate01

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 02:13:38 PM »
This is a technique this you come up with, when you are self diagnosing problems in your shooting. I know, because I've seen me do it. I use to do this very thing. I found that my follow up shoots were slow, because it made my front sight track off to the right. I didn't even notice it till a much more experienced shooter pointed it out to me. By relaxing my thumb, that allowed to front sight to track vertically bringing the gun back on target faster.
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline tact

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 03:10:43 PM »
.....funny!

Offline Firearms Depot

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 05:15:58 PM »
too bad so much inaccurate training is out on the internet. I believe in "hands on training" at a range. To believe everything you see and hear on the internet is just crazy in my opinion.

Offline Long_shot

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 09:53:32 PM »

The idea of the left thumb countering the trigger finger pushing towards the weak hand.... Just don't accept this. The strong hand fingers squeeze the front strap back into your hand. Your trigger finger squeezes or slaps the trigger back in the same exact direction. The weak hand squeezes to steady it all. No accomplished competitors teach what is in this video.

Haha, I just threw up a little.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 06:46:45 AM »
I couldn't watch all of that video, but I saw enough to see that his gun doesn't fit his hand and that he could use a little Sugru and JB-Weld to minimize that push to the left.  I'm afraid he wouldn't fair too well in a bullseye match. 

Looks like a "fix my horn, my brakes don't work" approach to me. 

I don't need my left hand to correct what my right hand is doing.  I'll stick with my approach, as will anyone I have the honor to instruct.

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline GeneticallySwiss

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 11:43:27 AM »
Some people clearly have too much time on their hands.  His ideas are silly.

GS
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

- Douglas Bader -

Offline joedirt199

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 09:41:35 PM »
The gun moves all over the place with one hand shooting cause it is that obnoxioussly heavy sig trigger pull. I have heard of the support hand closing up all the gaps in the grip that the strong hand doesn't get. Thumbs forward has been taught in tactical schools.
God created Police so Fireman would have heroes

In God we Trust, everyone else gets searched.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 11:39:57 PM »
I use to do this very thing. I found that my follow up shoots were slow, because it made my front sight track off to the right.

^^^^^   THIS  ^^^^^

If you push from the left on the pistol with your thumb, as soon as the gun starts to move it will track right.  Congratulations, you've just increased your splits.  ;)

The movement you get during the trigger squeeze can be compensated for by grip, but simply by a strong grip, nothing fancy.  And you don't get that by squeezing as hard as you can until you've lost manual dexterity -- you get that by gripping firmly, then with arms slight bent, rotate you elbows externally, and your hands will clamp down on the pistol.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:16:55 PM by IDescribe »

Moken

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 05:01:32 PM »
I'm glad I had a good cop for a Dad and some hard assed gunnies in the service teach me right.

Offline Ferris13

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 01:46:06 AM »
Looks like Frank Proctor teaches this method in the video below around 3:11 (Not sure how to embed).

Not too familiar with him but seems fairly accomplished.