Author Topic: Range day rounds fired?  (Read 3831 times)

Offline MadDuner

Range day rounds fired?
« on: September 16, 2017, 07:32:13 PM »
Today I took only 200 rounds - and it felt like I ran out of ammo before I even got warmed up good.  I was having SO MUCH FUN with my new 75 SP-01 Tac with it's new polish job and springs that I didn't want to stop!  I knew that would be the case - so I purposely limited myself to make me slow down and savor the experience.  Man, this things shoots mozambique drills like butter!!!!!

Usually I shoot 300-400 handgun rounds per trip to the indoor range, but it's usually spread over 2 or 3 different weapons.  If we go to the desert where we are there for 3 or 4 hours - the count goes up because we are shooting rifles also, but luckily thanks to all the walking out to the rifle targets and back - that usually means I'm only shooting 250-300 of handgun.  Usually about the same number of rifle rounds too, just spread over a few different calibers.  I've been trying to cut back lately because I have been know to over-do it, and I DO go every saturday morning.  That whole part where ammo isn't free factors into it also! hehehe  I need more time for reloading and more reloading materials!

How many rounds do you guys expend during each trip to the range?
And how often do you guys go to the range - whether indoors or outdoors?
Just handguns?
Or rifles too?
Am I overdoing it?

Offline ttrashman1

Re: Range day rounds fired?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 07:42:26 PM »
Today I took only 200 rounds - and it felt like I ran out of ammo before I even got warmed up good.  I was having SO MUCH FUN with my new 75 SP-01 Tac with it's new polish job and springs that I didn't want to stop!  I knew that would be the case - so I purposely limited myself to make me slow down and savor the experience.  Man, this things shoots mozambique drills like butter!!!!!

Usually I shoot 300-400 handgun rounds per trip to the indoor range, but it's usually spread over 2 or 3 different weapons.  If we go to the desert where we are there for 3 or 4 hours - the count goes up because we are shooting rifles also, but luckily thanks to all the walking out to the rifle targets and back - that usually means I'm only shooting 250-300 of handgun.  Usually about the same number of rifle rounds too, just spread over a few different calibers.  I've been trying to cut back lately because I have been know to over-do it, and I DO go every saturday morning.  That whole part where ammo isn't free factors into it also! hehehe  I need more time for reloading and more reloading materials!

How many rounds do you guys expend during each trip to the range?
And how often do you guys go to the range - whether indoors or outdoors?
Just handguns?
Or rifles too?
Am I overdoing it?
Sp-01 Tac 150-200 rnds
1911 RO 150-200 rnds
Sig 938. 100-150 rnds
Thats if Iam alone

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

cz75 sp01 Tactical 9mm
Springfield Range Officer 9mm

Offline JPCPTx

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 08:05:46 PM »
Me and the wife went today. She prefers indoor due to the AC.  I try to go at least twice a month.  I use to go once a week.   I wanted to go play with my new P10c.  No issues at all from it. I need more practice with it thou.   First 100 rounds through it were embarrassing.  Next 100 I started to get better.  My wife clearly won this trip.  She was shooting my Cajun CZ75 that she's claimed as hers now. 

Our round count:
CZ75b 200 rounds wife
CzP10  200 rounds me
Gloc27 100 rounds me(ccw)
CzP09  100 rounds wife
Db9.          7 rounds (Function test.  Got it in a trade.)4sale lol

I prefer outdoor range. Normally pay 14 for all day.  Indoor one my wife likes is 20$ hour per person.   I'm blaming the range fees on my horrible grouping. 

JP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 08:06:45 PM »
Every Tuesday morning at a practice range. 150 to 200+/-.  Twice,  sometimes three times (fifth Saturdays) a month
100 RDS if no extra shots ::),  somtimes includes some man-on-man shotgun comps. (Faster than pistol 8))

Offline Chef Jeff

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 08:07:10 PM »
I'm about the same as you, 200 rounds per caliber. So an average range day (about every other month) costs me about 200 .45ACP, 200 9mm, and 200 5.56. No, I don't think you're over doing it at all. I'd say we're about average. If I take a friend or first timer with me, add about 100 rounds per caliber.

ETA: I shoot mostly indoor due to lack of, and travel distance of outdoor ranges in my area.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 08:14:26 PM by Chef Jeff »
CZ 1911A1, CZ75 P-07 Duty, CZ 75B, CZ 75 Compact

Offline Rmach

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 08:53:50 PM »
One 9mm handgun with 300rds per visit. I bring a spare just in case the primary for that day has a problem.
CZ Shadow Orange (Aussie model), S2 urban gray, S2 black and blue, CZ Custom 75b polished stainless, Grand Power Xcalibur, Tristar C-100

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 09:14:09 PM »
OK, I feel better now.
It looked like most of the other people at the range only brought 100 rounds with them at a time... and I knew that wouldn't be worth the effort of driving over there! hehehe

Of course, this morning - a couple of guys in the next lanes over were shooting shotguns.  Man those are BOOMING indoors! hahaha  They need to come everytime I am there.  Getting over the distraction of the BOOOM is good for me.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 10:43:41 PM »
Minimum for me is 60 rounds of .22 through the Kadet, and 60 through the 97.  But, if I'm not shooting well, it may take me a while to correct it, so I have shot up to 120 through each.  It doesn't take me as long to figure it all out now as it did a few years ago, so I would think 80-100 per pistol is average.  Only if I know I'm not shooting well due to illness or injury will I just throw in the towel and go home after a few rounds through one gun.  I usually make separate trips to shoot the rifles.  Bullseye practice is very structured and I am pretty well disciplined in how I handle each practice.  Home defense gun days and rifle days are fun, as are 100-200 yard pistol days. I've shot as few as 40 rounds on a 200 yard pistol day.  But 40 GOOD shots at 200 yards with a pistol beats 300 mediocre shots at 25 yards every time!

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 11:24:00 PM »
It really depends, but if I am doing rifle load work, it might be 50-100, but 5 round strings and checks in between. Handgun, 100-200, but the private range I get to play on sometimes is literally right up the street, about a mile away. The outdoor range I usually play on is only 7 miles beyond that.
Heck, half the time I'm picking up brass to feed the other hobby, too! 8)

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 03:05:25 AM »
I'll most likely blow through a bunch of ammo next weekend - as we take to the desert again.
Engaging multiple targets is lots of fun - but tends to use up lots of ammo too!!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 04:16:36 AM »
Yes, my instructor friend has me trying point shooting and engaging 5 steel targets as fast as possible at 15 yards, fun to try but burns up ammo. Good for defensive practice, I would think.

Offline Luvdog

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 07:35:13 AM »
Typically around 300 rounds.  if I'm by myself, I find myself just shooting to shoot if I have tons of ammo.  I slow down and focus more if I know my supply is 'limited'

I end up shooting more indoors because then I can change targets as often as I want without having to bother anyone.

Offline Evolve13

• BANNED
    • It Will Come Back Ten Fold
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 09:38:05 AM »
On a pistol day I generally bring 4-5 guns usually in the same caliber and out 3-400 rounds down at the indoor range on a 25 yard lane.

I start off rotating and eventually drift off to one particular pistol towards the end, either because I'm so spot on with it or because I'm making such a mess with one. 

When I bring rifles indoors at 100 I generally go through 1-150 rounds as I'm shooting for dead on groups. 

If I shoot with a buddy and we share a lane it's obviously lower. 

Also, if I'm trying for a fun day as opposed to a really accurate day I've found it shoot more. 

I think you're numbers are about average. 
The best defense against evil men,
are good men who are skilled at violence.

Offline eastman

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 02:37:09 PM »
Since a typical range trip for me means a pay-by-the-hour indoor range, I tend to limit how much ammo I bring. It rarely exceeds 150 rounds of centerfire pistol ammo for a session. A lot of the time, it will be 50-100 rounds of .22LR and 50-100 rounds of 9x19, .40 or .45. If I bring a SA revolver, then the centerfire portion of the trip might only be 50 rounds.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Quercusmax

• It wasn't my fault
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 06:31:16 PM »
When I went out this morning, I shot 50 rounds per gun out of 3 guns - all revolvers, of 3 different calibers.

For me, the number of rounds is usually inversely proportional to the caliber, i.e. fewer rounds through larger calibers.

Few people I know would shoot 300 rounds of .44 Mag in one session, but could easily burn through a brick of .22 in one go. 

Since we are mostly talking CZ here, which mostly means 9mm, for me that usually involves 100 - 150 rounds in a session.  Any more than that, and I'm just wasting ammo.

One of my guns today was a DW .357, does that count?  Probably could have used another 50+ rounds for it except for the .44's.
If it's popular, I'm against it.

anything