Author Topic: Range day rounds fired?  (Read 3832 times)

Offline MadDuner

Re: Range day rounds fired?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 06:43:41 PM »
I usually have to force myself to work on whichever gun I brought that I shoot the worst.... because whichever gun you shoot the best you want to keep shooting for that satisfying feedback.  That usually means I spend more time and effort on my little concealed carry guns.  The triggers are stiffer, and there isn't much there to aim with or hold onto.  Then again, I'm not always realistic when practicing with them.  I know full well that those would only be used in the 5-7 yard range, and I continually practice shooting them at 10 or 15 yds anyway.  I hope to NEVER find out if the additional work pays off in a real defensive shooting situation.

With all that said, last trip I only shot the CZ and had a big old smile on my face the whole time!
Pure enjoyment.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 01:06:50 AM »
Interestingly enough, this last time I went to the private range up the street, I didn't fire a single round.  had a friend burn up all my 9mm ammo through the P-10c, and then announce that they NEED one.

Offline kertap75

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 10:05:21 AM »
I'm new to handgun shooting and limited on funds. I usually shoot about 100 rounds through my p07 per trip. My local indoor range charges $20 an hour but hopefully tonight I'll be joining a sportsman's club. $80 fee covers the whole year. Without the extra expense of range fees I will probably go more often instead of upping my round count. I want to work out a system to get the most training out of my ammo as possible. I'm thinking for a 100 round season: a few mags to warm up, run a complete dot torture drill, then burn the rest of the ammo on something fun. Distance shooting, speed draw, change it up every time to keep it interesting.

But I don't think the op is doing anything wrong. If I could afford it I would be at the range all day every day lol

Offline Roger Vick

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 09:54:27 PM »
Typically around 300 to 400 rounds of 9mm and 300 to 500 rounds of .22. I try to shoot every Sunday morning depending on what's going on at the club.

Offline Atomic Punk

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 02:41:31 PM »
I usually shoot one night a week after work for about an hour. My usual is 100 rounds of pistol and 60 rounds in the long gun—maybe more if I am shooting.22LR.

Offline Grizzlie

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 06:39:25 PM »
Minimum 50 rounds per firearm, usually take take two.
Average something like 75 rounds per firearm.
The 22lr firearms usually get 100rds per.

I can usually squeeze in two range visits a month.

However, my dryfire practice is every second day with something like 100 "shots" per firearm (22lr is n/a here). I usually stick with one firearm per session.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

'...if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence'

Online lewmed

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 08:07:47 PM »
My normal range day is 100 rounds of 44 mag 50 to 100 38 spl. and 200 to 300 9mm. If I shoot my S&W model 41 at least 200 more rounds. My indoor range membership gives me free range time so I shoot 4 or 5 times a month.

Online Sacred-Avenger

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »
Where do you get all the ammo? That is 10000-12000 rounds of 9mm a year alone!

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 11:02:22 PM »

I buy projectiles, and primer, and powder..... And spend hours in front of my reloading press.  When I get lazy, I buy factory practice ammo when I think it's cheap enough.  But yeah, it adds up. I've purchased enough reloading supplies already this year to shoot for the next 3 or 4 months.  I'll watch for deals to try and keep ahead of the addiction, err, I mean usage. LOL

Offline Joe L

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 06:28:51 AM »
When I shot a lot of rounds/week I wasn't practicing in as disciplined a manner as I do now.  I try not to get sloppy with any shots.  Before, I thought that I could continue to improve if I just put in the rounds.  I found that I simply reinforced poor technique that way.  Now I shoot fewer rounds, but have a higher percentage of "good" shots than before, investing the same amount of time.  But this is bullseye/precision discipline, not run and gun. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 07:58:42 AM »
I just don't get much out of staying longer than 2, maybe 3 hours anymore.  Standing on that concrete kills my feet/ankles the next day.  Sometimes the range is so crowded its' tough to be productive.  Sometimes I get to spending more time watching someone else and helping them rather than shooting my own guns/loads.  I'd like to spend more time at the 100 yd. range with the rifles, but when I do get over there I run into these guys with bolt action rifles that shoot 3 rounds (while their buddies are standing around talking and cleaning their rifles) and then get up to go clean their rifle.  Then a buddy sits down and shoots a few rounds (while the other guys are standing back there talking) before getting up to go clean his rifle.  While one of them take his rifle to the bench and shoots a few rounds.  They look through their spotting scopes to see where the groups are and then talk about the adjustments to make.  I've had one group act like I took a crap on their bench when I'd ask for a cold range so we could put up targets and take down the ones we'd put holes in.  So, I seldom go to the 100 yd. range.  I do most of my rifle shooting at 25 yds.  Imagine that.

But, my usual range trips can be either pistol only or rifle only or a combination of both.

I almost always have some "new" reloads to try out.  New bullets, new powder in one pistol, for the initial trip.   That might be 50 rounds total, for the test loads.  I come home, go over the targets (labeled at the range) and decide which load/charge to load up 50 rounds of for the next trip and then take two or three pistols to shoot that 50 rounds in to make sure it works well in several pistols.  I'll usually shoot a few of the 115 grain PD hollow point loads (with Blue Dot powder - my go to load for my CZ 9MM pistols) as a comparison vs. the trial loads (and to help clean a little lead out of the barrel??)

I may shoot a couple different calibers, rarely three calibers.

On the 25 yd. range I might only shoot 30 rounds through an AR15, or the GII.  Sometime I'll shoot more if I'm testing loads in one AR15 or testing a promising load in 2 or 3 AR15's.

I've only taken a shotgun to the range twice.  Took that old A5 before I rebuilt it to see how it functioned and then again after I rebuilt it to make sure it worked.  Shot about a box through it each time.

I can't think of anytime I just went out and shot three or four hundred rounds just to be doing it.  I usually have a "reason" for going and try to accomplish that while I'm there.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 04:18:46 PM »
My round count has dropped over the last few years,  but do get close to 1k + RDS per month of  9mm shooting 2 matches and practicing every Tuesday weather permitting.

Reloading has been my only ammo source for a number of years.  I'm addicted to shooting sports and would pay the commercial costs if I didn't reload.

I also shoot some 22 rimfire with an old Bullseye pistol and a  box or two of 16 gage from my 1956 Belgium Browning Sweet 16.  Both with commercial ammo.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 04:55:02 PM »
I was looking at my local Steel Challenge Competition rules last night..... ONLY factory commercial rounds allowed. No reloads allowed at all.  If I want to play in their game - the cost of shooting will go up some.

Offline Zigzag

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 01:30:29 PM »
I take both my guns colt 1911 and CZ S2 and 100 rounds for both. I have found that if I start with the CZ I don't do as well with the colt so now it's colt first. both of these are keepers and really like both but the CZ better .  ;)

Offline baldrage

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 06:38:25 PM »
100 rds of .22, 100 - 150 rds 9 mm in a typical one hour range outing. I go the range 3 or 4 times a month.

anything