Author Topic: Hearing Loss - Gun Fire  (Read 8809 times)

Offline 007_Bond

Hearing Loss - Gun Fire
« on: September 19, 2017, 09:23:59 PM »
Anyone have any experience with hearing loss from shooting guns without hearing protection?

If so - I'm wondering if you can help me out.

How much is too much?

Anyone have experience with hearing loss wnd ear ringing while shooting for 30 mins but it came back later?

I'm specifically wondering about high frequency / high end hearing loss and ringing.

Offline Pierce

Re: Hearing Loss - Gun Fire
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 09:41:15 PM »
What? Huh? I have severe hearing loss. If your ears ring after loud noises, you've suffered some degree of hearing loss. WEAR EAR PROTECTION!!!! WEAR EYE PROTECTION, TOO! I wish I would have worn ear protection when I was young.

Offline Quercusmax

• It wasn't my fault
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 09:45:03 PM »
Having had too much unprotected exposure to guns, chains saws, and rock 'n roll in my earlier years, I recognize that the foolishness of youth has given me some tinituss - but only enough to realize that I need to wear hearing protection now whenever doing anything loud - like shooting.

I usually wear "in the ear" earbuds now all the the when shooting ... or chain sawing.  Not much loud music for me anymore.

I'm also inclined to don eye protection while engaging in many more activities than I used to.  This is because of my only ER experience, which was recent. 

Your body has amazing ability to heal, but ears and eyes are not included.
If it's popular, I'm against it.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 09:46:21 PM »
I believe it's cumulative damage. The more you are exposed to it - the more severe the damage is.

I wear ear plugs and ear muffs now.... But was a dumbass when I was younger.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 09:50:21 PM »
It never comes back and only worsens if you're dumb enough to not wear hearing protection. Electronic muffs are good enough and cheap enough these days no one should shoot without them, even hunters.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 09:52:24 PM »
I usually always wear some but couldn't find any today. Shot about 100 rounds of 9mm.

It's been a few hours now and still have high frequency loss and ringing. Just wondering if it temporary or if it'll go back to normal sometime.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »
I usually always wear some but couldn't find any today. Shot about 100 rounds of 9mm.

It's been a few hours now and still have high frequency loss and ringing. Just wondering if it temporary or if it'll go back to normal sometime.

Sorry Bro, the damage is done. The ringing will likely fade, but your ears will be more sensitive. I was dumb when I was young and it culminated when I shot my grandpa's 45 auto while we were out tromping in the wilderness. I had what you describe for a little over 24 hours. My senior year of high school I had a medical exam for school and they checked my hearing.... No high frequencies in my left ear. I get ringing in that ear now (tenitus?) and when there's lots of ambient noise I have a hard time hearing conversations.

Use protection every time. Careful with loud music, especially in headphones. Each time excessive noise reaches your ears it will cause more damage than to others around you (who don't have the damage you already have).
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline Rmach

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 10:11:26 PM »

I can't say this gently, but that was STUPID STUPID STUPID. Depending on your age, it's most likely temporary, but I'm sure some high frequency loss has taken place. The above posts are spot on. Another 24 hours should determine if you have a permanent problem.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:13:08 PM by Rmach »

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 10:22:48 PM »
Thanks guys.

I know I should've worn protection.

My buddy shot with me, same thing... he has no ringing or anything bad going on. He says he never does when shooting 9mm pistols and some other guns. So I thought I might be ok.

Thanks for all the info.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 10:24:24 PM »

My buddy shot with me, same thing... he has no ringing or anything bad going on. He says he never does when shooting 9mm pistols and some other guns. So I thought I might be ok.

He will spend most of his life saying 'What?' Don't be like him.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 10:28:47 PM »

He will spend most of his life saying 'What?' Don't be like him.

He actually never does that but obviously, yes I will never do this again.

I'm sure my friend already has some hearing loss as in high frequency but he's never been hard of hearing.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 10:31:01 PM »
Thanks guys.

I know I should've worn protection.

Thanks for all the info.

I did some shooting in my early days (20's) without protection along with 35 years in auto shops with the sound of air tools,compressors and loud engines running. I'm in my 50's now with severe tinnitus and a 60% high frequency hearing loss.
Put those muffs on always. Like has been said once the damage is done there is nothing they can to to restore your hearing. I'm told there's no hearing aid that will do me much good. Live and learn.

Offline jh225

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 10:37:17 PM »
Tinnitus 24/7/365

Usually notice it more at night while watching tv, but it is always there. You kind of get used to it.

Guns, power tools, rock & roll for way too many years without protection (usually had some type while shooting, but not always). I wised up too late.  :-\

Haven't had my hearing checked in many years, but my wife says I say "huh?" too much.  :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:38:51 PM by jh225 »

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 11:54:38 PM »
Incredibly stupid. We might be able to get you Lasik for vision, but treating hearing loss just isn't there yet.

The hearing loss is permanent. If this is the one time you ever do it, you'll be okay. Just don't do it in the future. Let your buddy destroy his hearing on his own. Personally, I'd feel guilty shooting my gun next to someone without hearing protection even if they are okay with it.

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 11:57:15 PM »
Incredibly stupid. We might be able to get you Lasik for vision, but treating hearing loss just isn't there yet.

The hearing loss is permanent. If this is the one time you ever do it, you'll be okay. Just don't do it in the future. Let your buddy destroy his hearing on his own. Personally, I'd feel guilty shooting my gun next to someone without hearing protection even if they are okay with it.

This was the first time I've ever done this - and only time.

When you say it's permanent but I'll be okay... what do you mean exactly? That most of the high frequency will come back? Or that the ringing will stop?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:01:27 AM by 007_Bond »

anything