Author Topic: Looking to get a new deer gun, want a cz, know nothing of their bolt guns  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Edward_Teach

Ok so, I am really loving my CZ P-07, and have now become a cz fanboy, already have a stupid long list of their handguns I plan to get, and would also love to one day own a Bren 805/806 (can't thanks to New York, and they won't give us the 806 yet) and a scorpion.

With all that being said I've noticed I'm leaning to making things simple and just sticking with all CZ for the most part.

It's about that time were I'm thinking a nice new deer gun is needed, problem is I know nothing about cz bolt guns and what is what and what to look at, 

Little info I've seen so far is showing 550 and 557.  Is there any other model to look at? And trying to decide caliber as well, most likely 308 or 7mm-08.  Currently hunting with a Swiss K11 and K31 in 7.5x55 Swiss(and for old milsurp rifles it's going to be hard to beat these triggers)
Glock Gen 5
When you want 1982 innovation today

Offline AZ_CZ

I have a 550 full stock that I really like. It Handles and points naturally, the sights seem to line themselves up. Love the 2 stage trigger, but never used it except at the range.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline 10-96

Just my humble little opinion, but peek around and see if you can find a 550 in 6.5x55.  That would go nicely with your mil-surps I'd think.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

Offline Edward_Teach

Just my humble little opinion, but peek around and see if you can find a 550 in 6.5x55.  That would go nicely with your mil-surps I'd think.

I'm all for caliber suggestions as well
Glock Gen 5
When you want 1982 innovation today

Offline jkingrph

I have 3 CZ rifles, two are the little micro rifle M 527 in 22 Hornet and 6.5 Grendel, the other is a big 550 Safari American in .375 H&H.   I like the way the 550 shoulders and the sights align with my eyes perfectly.  The caliber is a little large for North American deer, but can be used.    Personally if I could get a good deal on a 6.5x55 I would go that route.  It's a highly effective round with mild recoil.  The Swedes have been using it well over a century on moose.    I have six vintage M 96 Swedish Mausers in that caliber and  find it highly accurate, and I have only used iron sights.

Offline Canuck Bob

If medium range and power work for you the 7.62X39 CZ 527 Carbine would be my choice.  If it was produced in a LH model it would already be in my safe.  The 7.62 round is roughly equivalent to the 30-30 in power.  The CZ 527 is an outstanding rifle (I'm a bit biased).

Certainly no 308 which is a dandy all around cartridge.  Bulk 308 ammo would allow cheap shooting compared to the 7MM-08.

Offline jkingrph

If medium range and power work for you the 7.62X39 CZ 527 Carbine would be my choice.  If it was produced in a LH model it would already be in my safe.  The 7.62 round is roughly equivalent to the 30-30 in power.  The CZ 527 is an outstanding rifle (I'm a bit biased).

Certainly no 308 which is a dandy all around cartridge.  Bulk 308 ammo would allow cheap shooting compared to the 7MM-08.

No argument with either of those, plenty of cheap ammo available, often of low quality, but serviceable.  I would prefer the 6.5 Grendel over the 7.62x39.   Cases for the Grendel can be made from 7.62x39 by simply running them through a Grendel sizing die, loading with a reduced charge and fire to fire form the case, which is a slightly blown out case.  What you get is a cartridge with every bit of the utility for hunting, really a  bit more as smaller bullets can be used for varmints, with a lot more longer range potential.

Like Canuck Bob  I am a bit biased toward the CZ 527, along with the 6.5mm bores.

Offline JDL

Re: Looking to get a new deer gun, want a cz, know nothing of their bolt guns
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 06:35:12 PM »
I also have 3 CZ rifles, a 527 Carbine 7.62x39, a CZ .223 American, and my favorite a CZ FS in 7x64. The carbine is so easy to carry and while I have hunted deer with it, the deer won't cooperate. The FS is my newest and I haven't had it out in the woods yet but, that will soon be remedied. A friend bought a FS in 6.5x55 and if I wasn't so heavily involved with 7mm, I would get one in a heartbeat.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 09:28:38 PM »
I sincerely wish the 527M came standard in 6.5 Grendel, because that caliber has me VERY interested...but I lack the funds so far to rebarrel the one I have or buy a new one. I will say I love my 7.62x39mm CZ 527M/CSR, greatest little bolt action carbine I've ever had.

Offline ccoyle

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 10:28:55 PM »
This topic is a bit old, so maybe you got your rifle already, but last time I visited the CZ-USA website it said the 550 FS has been discontinued. If so, it'd be a good idea to snap one up while there's still some new ones available, if that's a rifle that suits your fancy. 6x55 is a perfect caliber pairing for the style of rifle. I have its ballistic cousin the 7x57 and love it.

anything