Author Topic: Your recommendations: Small-ish 10mm  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

Your recommendations: Small-ish 10mm
« on: October 08, 2017, 11:17:41 PM »
Well, I'm really really enjoying my Witness Hunter in 10mm. My friend just got a Glock 29 and when I shot it I was surprised by how well I could grip it and shoot it. This got me to thinking.... There may be times I am hiking that I'd like my 10mm, but not my massive, beautiful, expensive Witness Hunter.

So, here's where I'd like the opinions of the members here. I'm thinking of a Small-ish 10mm compact or sub compact that I can get a threaded barrel for and throw on a compensator for fast follow up shots. I'm fine if I have to have the barrel threaded. I can really only think of a Witness steel compact and the Glock 29. Are there any other options? What are your experiences with either of these 10mm pistols or the others? I'd like to keep this concept  under $800 including the additional barrel and compensator....

Thanks and looking forward to the ideas!
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline cntrydawwwg

Re: Your recommendations: Small-ish 10mm
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 12:17:59 AM »
The Witness compact would be my choice between the two. I'd imagine you could set the compact trigger up similar to your Hunter if you so chose.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 12:37:01 AM »
The Witness compact would be my choice between the two. I'd imagine you could set the compact trigger up similar to your Hunter if you so chose.

Very true! It just sucks how expensive tanfoglio aftermarket parts are... I wish CGW made a few parts for them. I know Dave had a horrible experience with EAA, and so have many others, do I can't blame him. I just wish they made a race hammer for the Witnesses, and grips, and a flat trigger.  O0

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 01:04:29 AM »
When hiking I always left my SW 1076 at home and packed a 4" barrel Ruger 101 in 357 mag. Had a great selection of hard cast bullets that offered great penatration on big mean stuff. On a plus I could download to 38 at the range for plinking. If you really want 10mm SW had the 610 revolver  with a 3" barrel. Always kinda of lusted for one. Not sure they are even made anymore.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »
When hiking I always left my SW 1076 at home and packed a 4" barrel Ruger 101 in 357 mag. Had a great selection of hard cast bullets that offered great penatration on big mean stuff. On a plus I could download to 38 at the range for plinking. If you really want 10mm SW had the 610 revolver  with a 3" barrel. Always kinda of lusted for one. Not sure they are even made anymore.

A revolver in 10mm... Very interesting I'll definitely go check these out.

The Guardian

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 10:30:23 PM »

A revolver in 10mm... Very interesting I'll definitely go check these out.

That revolver will be double(+) your $800 budget, if you can even find one.......I'm pretty sure the 610's were forged from a solid gold bar  ;D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:32:22 PM by The Guardian »

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 11:55:48 PM »
... but the .357 in an SP101 weight class will carry well.  Isn't 357 what 10mm strives to be?

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 12:58:40 AM »
Yeah... If I got a revolver in this power range I would just get a 357 magnum. But if I am getting a revolver I am going to get 44 magnum.  O0

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 03:34:34 AM »
You want a short barrel, light weight gun in 44 mag? Try one out first. The small or alloy frame 357 revolvers are quite the adventure with full bore ammo. IMO they really are only good for emergencies. No fun at the range unless you have 38s loaded.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »
You want a short barrel, light weight gun in 44 mag? Try one out first. The small or alloy frame 357 revolvers are quite the adventure with full bore ammo. IMO they really are only good for emergencies. No fun at the range unless you have 38s loaded.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. No desire for a short barrel light weight 44 mag. If I get a revolver it'll be a 44 mag and have a long barrel and rubber grips. Shot the dirty Harry 44 mag and that exposed metal back strap with full power loads was punishing! I may even look for one with a little muzzle break.

Offline olfarhors

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 03:44:12 PM »
Think I would lean to a compact EAA witness in 10 MM myself.
actually I have no real desire for a carry 10 MM but then  we have our own likes /dislikes.

skin

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »
 I think I would go glock. Easy to find threaded barrel, some trigger work, all done. Be careful of muzzle breaks. Had to take mine off. Everytime I shot it without double hearing protection, I could hear church bells for a week afterwards.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 07:31:04 PM »
I think I would go glock. Easy to find threaded barrel, some trigger work, all done. Be careful of muzzle breaks. Had to take mine off. Everytime I shot it without double hearing protection, I could hear church bells for a week afterwards.

That is what I was thinking. KKM barrels with threads are around $230. If I got a Witness barrel it would be about $131 and then maybe $80 to have it threaded. But... With Lonewolf it would be easy to get a barrel in 9x25 Dillion for the Glock, where as with the Witness I would have to get the equipment to modify a barrel to 9x25 Dillon. So I would have easier flexibility with the Glock...

What compensator do you have? The Lonewolf one that has rearward angled baffles looks like it my direct the boom back even worse than others. I was thinking maybe the SJC compensator would really tame the 10mm recoil and allow me to put full power 10mm loads on target as fast as possible. I guess further destroying my hearing to save my life may be a risk... but with my hearing I would get damage with or without a compensator.
http://stores.sjcguns.com/sjc-40-cal-11-port-compensators/

Think I would lean to a compact EAA witness in 10 MM myself.
actually I have no real desire for a carry 10 MM but then  we have our own likes /dislikes.
I feel ya. It's about the most powerful cartridge I can get in a semi auto pistol (excluding monsters like the Desert Eagle) for when I am in the woods and would have animals to deal with, up to Grizzlies. I wouldn't be carrying this when I am out and about on a daily basis.

Offline Evolve13

• BANNED
    • It Will Come Back Ten Fold
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 10:36:48 PM »
I think if you're budget number is cast in stone the Glock is the way to go. 

I enjoy my Glock 10mm more than all my other 10mm.

My Sig is a close second though. 

But as you already know, there's a bunch of stuff easily available for the Glock, and in a pinch it's gonna function. 
The best defense against evil men,
are good men who are skilled at violence.

skin

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 12:00:38 AM »
 You are correct. I have a Lonewolf muzzle break. It looks like it should be on  Marvin the Martian ' s ray gun.

anything