Author Topic: CZ 550 self discharge!!! **** figured it out***UPDATE*****  (Read 1164 times)

Offline ayland

CZ 550 self discharge!!! **** figured it out***UPDATE*****
« on: December 06, 2017, 12:37:47 AM »
Hi all,  I'm new to the board. 
I had a dangerous situation develop with my 22-250 today.  I was out looking for coyotes and had a coyote coming in , I set the trigger then the coyote changed its mind and bolted.  Then I put the safety on and was walking back to the truck; getting close to the truck when as soon as I "took" off the safety the rifle fired!!  That was a big surprise; needless to say I had proper muzzle control and the round went into the ground.  I cleared the rifle and went home.

When I got home I inspected the rifle and nothing obvious stood out for the error.  Then I tried replicating the misfire and  while it is on safe; if you "set" the trigger,  As soon as you switch to fire position it drops the firing pin.

This poses quite a safety issue.  Have any of you had this happen this type of rifle?

I will call CZ tomorrow.

thanks for any help.

UPDATE******   I called CZ this morning.

These rifles with the set trigger have to have the set trigger released (pull the trigger to release the set trigger)  when the safety is on.  If you don't , when you release the safety,  this causes the rifle to automatically fire upon releasing the safety; Due the the sensitivity of the set trigger.   Hope this helps anyone else with this type of rifle. 

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 12:16:07 PM by ayland »

Offline texasmojo

Re: CZ 550 self discharge!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 01:25:57 AM »
I don't own that rifle but geez.. good thing no one got hurt. Yup call CZ because that is not normal operation.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 04:54:32 AM »
Has the trigger had any mods done? I don't own that gun but do have a couple old actions that were "over modded" by some one and they both exhibit that behavior. I would certainly call CZ especially if the gun is under warranty.

The Guardian

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 08:38:20 AM »
Sounds similar to the issue the  Remington 700 had with accidental discharges.....in there case it was a well known (within Remington) flaw in the trigger mechanism, it would have been about a 5 cent fix at the time of manufacture back in the day (50?s/60?s) but they determined it was too costly to do and didn?t want the negative press, Remington let it go for decades without fixing it. Really hope this isn?t a similar issue......the real problem was it didn?t happen all the time with a rifle, would work fine 100 times and then fail, work fine 200 times then fail....geezzzzz  ???
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:42:17 AM by The Guardian »

Offline ayland

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 08:44:21 AM »
There has been no modifications and I haven't changed the factory trigger adjustments at all. 

Offline Igrlik

Re: CZ 550 self discharge!!! **** figured it out***UPDATE*****
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 02:32:51 PM »
RTFM !!!

page 28 of the user manual:
Set-trigger Operation
The set-trigger is activated by pushing it in the forward. For the reason of safety, activate the set-trigger only after the rifle is loaded
and shortly before shooting. Do not carry your rifle with an activated set-trigger! If you have activated the set-trigger and you do not follow
through with firing, keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction while carefully engaging the safety and then squeeze the trigger.
Subsequently unload the rifle in the manner described above.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:37:38 PM by Igrlik »

Offline ayland

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 07:05:03 PM »
Does that mean to "read the first manual" ?  hahahahaha   I'm glad you highlighted it in red.   relax a bit      I never got a manual when I purchased the rifle years ago.  But thanks anyways as I already had my answer from CZ !!!!

RTFM !!!

Set-trigger Operation
The set-trigger is activated by pushing it in the forward. For the reason of safety, activate the set-trigger only after the rifle is loaded
and shortly before shooting. Do not carry your rifle with an activated set-trigger! If you have activated the set-trigger and you do not follow
through with firing, keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction while carefully engaging the safety and then squeeze the trigger.
Subsequently unload the rifle in the manner described above.

The Guardian

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 11:36:09 PM »
RTFM !!!

I was under the impression that was always the "Nuclear Option" (aka...last resort)........after every other option failed  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:37:44 PM by The Guardian »

Offline jetcycles

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 09:27:23 AM »
Even though you didn't RTFM as was so gracefully suggested, I appreciate you posting this thread.  I have a CZ 527 Varmint Laminate that I purchased used without a manual and I learned from your thread.