Author Topic: P-01 Omega Safety Concern?  (Read 70765 times)

Offline GypsyDanger

P-01 Omega Safety Concern?
« on: October 23, 2017, 08:23:26 AM »
Stumbled upon this video on YouTube. Guy says if you have a FTE that pushes down on the ejector, you'll start the process of decocker disassembly.

In turn this will force the decocking lever to rotate upwards as the slide goes home, scratch the frame, and render the firearm useless.

What do we make of this guys? I know most of us own both standard and omega pistols.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: P-01 Omega Safety Concern?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 12:04:03 PM »
Mine's set up with the safeties and nothing bad happens with them, that I can force to happen anyway. 

If he's correct, could be an issue for anyone running them with the decockers instead of safeties.

Weird stuff happens.  Look at the new SIG pistol thing.  Dropped who knows how many times by who knows how many people and deemed drop safe - till someone drops it "just right", or is it "just wrong?"  Like I said, weird stuff happens.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline GypsyDanger

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 05:30:16 PM »
Mine's set up with the safeties and nothing bad happens with them, that I can force to happen anyway. 

If he's correct, could be an issue for anyone running them with the decockers instead of safeties.

Weird stuff happens.  Look at the new SIG pistol thing.  Dropped who knows how many times by who knows how many people and deemed drop safe - till someone drops it "just right", or is it "just wrong?"  Like I said, weird stuff happens.

I tried pushing on the ejector of my P-01 Omega as hard as I could, and I could not reproduce the malfunction. I use the decocker. It seems that maybe this guy's pistol is out of spec or something?

supergunner84

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 06:06:52 PM »
Hey Gypsy,

This was my video.  I made a couple of follow up videos as well, the first is a little long, second is more informative.  A friend of mine has a p-01 omega as well and was able to duplicate it. Not sure if it is the latest production run, but seems to be an issue. I haven't set it up with the safety as it isn't my preferred method of carry, but don't believe it would change the result as the decocker or safety bar engages the ejector in the same way.

Offline thedude

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 06:43:42 PM »
So wouldn't this also happen to other Omega trigger systems?  I ask because this is the first I've ever heard of this happening. 

supergunner84

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 06:54:02 PM »
So wouldn't this also happen to other Omega trigger systems?  I ask because this is the first I've ever heard of this happening.
I believe it would. I encourage everyone that has an Omega to actuate like I did in the videos and reply accordingly. I hope it is limited to a specific production run, but time will tell.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Offline del4c

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 08:02:41 PM »
I have a new omega p-01  a couple months old . about 250 -300 rounds. I will try to replicate this and respond

Offline GypsyDanger

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 08:55:09 PM »
Hey Gypsy,

This was my video.  I made a couple of follow up videos as well, the first is a little long, second is more informative.  A friend of mine has a p-01 omega as well and was able to duplicate it. Not sure if it is the latest production run, but seems to be an issue. I haven't set it up with the safety as it isn't my preferred method of carry, but don't believe it would change the result as the decocker or safety bar engages the ejector in the same way.

After watching your video I can confirm that my P-01 Omega (2017) does indeed have this issue.

I will be switching to my G19 for daily carry. Thank you for the eye-opener.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:26:56 PM by GypsyDanger »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 08:59:26 PM »
I could not get it to happen with the safeties.

I partially disassembled it (removed the slide stop, removed the slide, removed the barrel, recoil spring/guide from the slide and then put the slide back on.)

I tried it with the safety OFF.  I popped the ejector up/down, to the left, to the right (chewed the back end of a sharpie up pretty bad - used the sharpie so I could put some force on it and save my finger tip) and then tried pushing it downward and letting it pop upwards off the end of the sharpie several times.  No (bad) luck in getting it to pop the left side safety partially out of the frame.

I tried it with the safeties moved upwards as far as they'd go with the slide not fully in position (pushed back so I could access the ejector with the end of the sharpie) and again, no amount of pushing, popping upwards, pushing right/left, etc. would cause that right side safety to pop part of the way out of the frame.

Maybe it has something to do with the effects of the extra spring the decocker requires.

All mine (P07's, P09's and the Urban Gray P01) all have the thumb safeties installed - it's a 1911 thing.

You know, when I took my P09 (the 9MM) to work on the sear, I lost the little piece of plastic on the right side safety lever and the safety lever fell out of the pistol while I was shooting it the next range trip.  That was maybe 3 or 4 years ago and I don't remember if the pistol continued to fire or if it failed and that was when I noticed the right side safety was on the ground/leaves in front of me.  But that is a separate issue (owner/operator headspace, not a pistol/design fault).
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

supergunner84

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 09:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe it is new builds of the p01 Omega. Please keep the replies up!

Offline sputch

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 02:28:13 AM »
FWIW - I picked up a NIB P01 Omega on Saturday but haven't put rounds through it yet. I am trying to reproduce this but so far have been unsuccessful. I can get the ejector to stick in the down position and I can get the left side of the decocker to separate away from the slide a couple millimeters (snaps back when you touch it) but no luck in reproducing the out of battery condition when racking the slide. Might be ineptitude or luck - maybe both. Slightly worried about my new purchase now.

supergunner84

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 05:25:53 AM »
Also, if the ejector is stuck in the down position,you may get an fte due do the shift, the next round may pop it out.

Offline schmeky

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 09:42:56 AM »
That's a mole hill, not a mountain.  The problem is the ejector on that particular P-01 is out of spec and should be replaced. 

supergunner84

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »
Thanks schmeky,

Seeing how those of us with new production models of the P-01 omega are having the issue (myself, a friend of mine, gypsy, and sputch), I lends me to think that CZ may have received a bad batch of ejectors. I'm glad it isn't something more serious.  I'm still waiting to hear from CZ.  Thank you everybody for your input!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 11:26:45 AM by supergunner84 »

Offline GypsyDanger

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 05:18:07 PM »
That's a mole hill, not a mountain.  The problem is the ejector on that particular P-01 is out of spec and should be replaced.

Seems like a very definitive statement. Did your P-01 Omega not reproduce this issue?

anything