Author Topic: 1980 Model 75 is back from CGW Spa  (Read 1948 times)

Offline iron4life2

Re: 1980 Model 75 is back from CGW Spa
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 06:58:08 AM »
This pistol came from an estate sale so no information was available on its past life. It had a parkerized finish (in overall pretty good condition with the roll marks somewhat filled in; probably not the original finish as the 75s normally had a blued finish during this period). The barrel SN did not match the frame/slide and had an awful coating applied to it. Also, it has the narrower spur hammer of the late-80s to early-90s Pre-B pistols. For whatever reason, I did not recall this feature until it came back this past month.

With the magic applied by Scott at CGW, the process to revive this very early Pre-B started in the Spring and it finally came together earlier this month. The overall intent was to mostly preserve the original profile of the pistol but to add a bit of dazzle to it. Besides the new finish, the other notable external change was to the front sight. The internals were kept stock but polished up. The narrower spur hammer was retained so it still has a bit of camming in the action. Shoots nicely but obviously not at the level of a Pro Package. The finish is hard chrome. Original rear sight, controls and hammer were master blued. Hope you enjoy it (mega-thanks to Scott).

First... a couple of ugly shots

That's a thing of beauty

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 09:30:10 PM »
  I can't imagine how that could have come out any sweeter. Short of all work done for FREE. VERY nice!

A guy hates the WAIT...But that one was WORTH the wait!

Offline redlightrich

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 08:19:33 AM »
That looks great. I like the spur hammer too.

If you can post a pix of the re-crown, I am sure many of us would appreciate that. Especially me!!!

Offline Psyop96

1980 Model 75 is back from CGW Spa
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 12:00:57 PM »
Tyrone - I have been fortunate to have shared a few pivos with Froggy on the south side of the ?hood while we struggle with the lingo.

Thedude - the Nill grips...a classic and quiet look but feels fabulous in the hands. FYI to others...the stippled one is similar to grips commonly found on CZ 75s sold in the European market during the period.

G57 - thanks! Just didn?t want to push our luck with the restoration gods in spite of inner OCD.

FN in MT - it was worth the wait. Can you believe much of that work was covered by a generous CGW gift certificate from the 2016 Forum Christmas Gift Giving so be sure to look forward to the 2017 event and get in on it! Who knows what Forum-Santa might bring for the holidays.

Redlightrich - sorry, I don?t have a photo of the re-crown. It came back looking like a barrel crown should look that I didn?t think to take a photo. Now, I?m on the road for a couple more months and can?t get to it ??