Author Topic: CZ 85 Combat - front sight replacement question  (Read 6926 times)

Offline gunsrfun1

CZ 85 Combat - front sight replacement question
« on: November 05, 2017, 04:40:38 PM »
Hello - I've looked around on the web and watched some videos, but I am still a bit confused regarding front sight replacement for my CZ 85 Combat. I want to replace the standard factory white dot with a Dawson Precision fiber optic.
My questions are:
1) Will the front sight dovetail have to be drilled? From the videos I have watched, it looks like the front sight base has some sort of semi-circular opening at the bottom, not really a hole, so I am a bit confused. (Plus I am not sure how such a configuration would enable a pin to hold it in place.)
2) What size (diameter) punch do I need to remove the front sight pin? (None of the videos I have watched tell you, they just say a "small" punch.)
3) Is it a roll pin or just a solid pin?
Reason I am asking all this is that I don't want to start a project that I can't finish.
Thanks

Offline afultz075

Re: CZ 85 Combat - front sight replacement question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 10:07:16 PM »
The Cajun Gun Works 5.5mm Fiber Optic front (made by Dawson) is what you need.

It does not need to be drilled and you can reuse the original roll pin to secure it. I believe a 5/64" roll pin punch is the proper size. You can use a nylon tipped punch to remove the old sght and install the new. It should not need fitting.

Offline gunsrfun1

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 08:49:07 PM »
Thanks, I contacted Dawson and they wrote back that their front sights are pre-drilled, so that is good news.
I will have to order a roll pin punch.
A couple follow-up questions, if I may:
1) Does it matter which direction I tap out the roll pin from? I wouldn't think so, but might as well ask.
2) I read somewhere that the roll pin also holds some kind of bushing in place; is this true?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 08:58:26 PM by gunsrfun1 »

Offline painter

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 08:01:38 AM »
It doesn't matter which way you tap out the pin.

Yes, the pin also retains the barrel bushing.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

The Guardian

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 02:25:56 PM »
The Sight base is pre-shaped to accept the roll pin....but, In some cases some fitting  may be required. You can tell by tapping the sight into place an looking through the roll pin hole.  It needs to be a perfectly round light hole if not, you can remove the sight and use a fine round file to remove excess material......also, the front sight usually needs some material removed from the flat base of the sight to slide into the front of the dovetail, this can be done by placing some very fine grit sandpaper, say 500 grit on a flat surface and then  just light pressing on the sight as you slide it across the paper...it?s a trial and error thing...you want a snug fit not loose.....in a sense your going to have to fit the sight some what, just how it?s suppose to work......they are NOT just a drop in item....hope this helps  ;)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:58:17 PM by The Guardian »

Offline Hamfisted

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 07:57:27 PM »
Thanks, I contacted Dawson and they wrote back that their front sights are pre-drilled, so that is good news.
I will have to order a roll pin punch.
A couple follow-up questions, if I may:
1) Does it matter which direction I tap out the roll pin from? I wouldn't think so, but might as well ask.
2) I read somewhere that the roll pin also holds some kind of bushing in place; is this true?

YES it matters which direction you remove the front sight pin from !  On ALL CZ pistols, the pin hole is larger on the left side of the slide. You drive the pin out from the right side toward the left. Re-install the pin FROM the left side toward the right. If you have a CZ pistol where both holes are the same size, somebody's been "gunsmithin" on it.  Yes the front sight pin also acts as a retaining pin for the front barrel bushing.

-Mike

Offline arkadi

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 10:45:57 AM »
I wonder what is the tool CZUB uses to create a channel with different openings? What is the rationale?

Offline Hamfisted

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 09:01:33 PM »
It's just their way of making sure the pin is secured and will not drift out on it's own. Many gun makers do the same thing. As a general rule it's always out from the right and in from the left, and you won't go wrong.

-Mike

Offline badwrench

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 04:53:55 PM »
The Sight base is pre-shaped to accept the roll pin....but, In some cases some fitting  may be required. You can tell by tapping the sight into place an looking through the roll pin hole.  It needs to be a perfectly round light hole if not, you can remove the sight and use a fine round file to remove excess material......also, the front sight usually needs some material removed from the flat base of the sight to slide into the front of the dovetail, this can be done by placing some very fine grit sandpaper, say 500 grit on a flat surface and then  just light pressing on the sight as you slide it across the paper...it?s a trial and error thing...you want a snug fit not loose.....in a sense your going to have to fit the sight some what, just how it?s suppose to work......they are NOT just a drop in item....hope this helps  ;)

This ^ is pretty  much right.. every Dawson front sight I've installed, needed fitting, and the semi circluar hole in the base of the front signt needed to be opened up just a bit.. What I did  is sand the base of the front sight(using plumbing sandcloth, and, once close, switched to 600 grit) until it fit in the dovetail about halfway in, by hand. Then, I remove the sight, put a couple of small drops of locktite in the dovetail, install the sight, and using a leather mallet I have, pound it the rest of the way in,(usually takes just a couple of light taps to seat it all the way in) and quickly clean off any excess locktite that may have come out. In my experience, a 5/64"  drill bit works quite well for opening up the semi circular hole on the base of the sight, I've tried the drill bit in either side of the slide before I did any drilling, and it fit in the left, and right sides of the slide, I carefully drill the base,(from the left side) not putting very much pressure on it at all, as this usually takes must a few seconds,Once that's done, I use a new front sight pin, pop it in place, the pin fits nice and snug, on Dawson F.O. fronts sights the last thing to do before installing the F.O. rod is to snug down the set screw in the top of the sight, once this is done, your ready to install the F.O. rod. With the set screw bearing down on the cross pin, which is a snug fit itself, plus the locktite, this sight isn't coming off anytime soon..
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 05:47:15 PM by badwrench »

Offline timmy75

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 10:56:21 AM »
hi!
i took front sight pin out and put it back.
now my front sight stands like this

when pin is not inside pin hole, sight stands correct. when i put front sight pin inside the pin hole, than front side of the front sight lifts up?! :-\

what can i do now? buy and drill new front sight?

Offline Mark-combat

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 06:37:31 AM »

this was very helpfull, I wondered why it didnt go in smoothly the first time, leaving out the pin isnt an option because of the barrel bushing.