Author Topic: My new range brass scooper  (Read 4391 times)

Offline MadDuner

Re: My new range brass scooper
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2017, 07:18:27 PM »
There is some great information in this thread. 
Thanks to all participants!

I think I'll reload 200-300 rounds before dinner now!

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2017, 07:18:39 PM »
Thanks Fred! I got way more than I bargained for (both in humor and very important information)!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 07:52:19 PM »
We've found that the biggest contributor to lead contamination (or lead poisoning, a term I hate) is that the average shooter just doesn't really know it's there, and if they do, they don't know how simple it is to take care of it.  There is a lot of false information floating around on the internet (gee, who da thunk!).  By dumping the hyperbole, and sticking to the scientific facts, the mystery is peeled away and good knowledge replaces it. 

I often see people post that it's absolutely forbidden to have a vibratory tumbler indoors.  I've got three of them in my shop, and they're running most of the time.  I do use the Berry's covered separators for sifting the brass from the media, and that does help keep the dust down.  My tumblers are two Thumler's Ultra-vibe 18's and a Berry's tumbler, all of which have covers.   When common sense is injected into the conversation, it becomes much easier to deal with.

In working with the EPA, Edward Guster, their range expert, told us that the EPA's official position is that lead on ranges is a recyclable metal, as long as the range is active, and the lead is not leaving the property.  The lead is being used for it's intended purpose, and is easily recycled.  Once a range is closed permanently, the lead then becomes a hazardous substance, and will have to be removed.  That's why when a land developer eyes the open space of a range that has been in existence for a long period of time, they don't try to force the range to close so they can build shopping centers or houses on the land.  It's expensive to remove all traces of lead that's been deposited over a long period of time, and the cost of cleanup sometimes exceeds the value of the land.  The argument is usually over who is responsible for the cleanup, and since a lot of ranges are incorporated as 501(c)3's or 501(c)7's, they don't have any real assets, other than the land they sit on.  That would leave the burden of cleanup with the buyer.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 10:00:54 AM »
This just gets better and better.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 12:46:24 PM »
This is awesome and valuable information.
I am on the board of Directors of our local rifle and pistol club. We are currently in a "small squabble" with the city over lead issues at our indoor range.
They are using lead as an issue to try and shut it down IMHO.

When ever a politician starts a sentence "I am not anti-gun but......."
or "my dad used to hunt squirrels so I know all about guns....." you know a poop storm is brewing.

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 05:33:54 PM »
A true pecan p/u (picker upper) isn't a great idea. Most pecans are 2 - 5 times larger than the brass you drop.  The wire spacing in a pecan p/u has too much existing spread for anything in diameter smaller than a .45 ACP.  The designed brass p/u will have the wires closer together.  Worst case, you may pick up  some .22 brass with the designed p/u.  Our range has three types, tried them all and wide spaced wire types drop 60% of what they pick up.  The right one is good on sand, dirt wood, concrete and OK in grass or weeds.  If the grass, dirt or sand is wet then you end up with some mucked up brass.

Don't think my was designated for pecans but was purchased from a nut picker web site but have no idea what kind of nut (besides myself) it was designed fore.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2017, 05:56:04 PM »
I am on the board of Directors of our local rifle and pistol club. We are currently in a "small squabble" with the city over lead issues at our indoor range.

or "my dad used to hunt squirrels so I know all about guns....." you know a poop storm is brewing.

RCG

It isn't cheap, but here's workshop tailored to the subject coming up next month:  https://www.nssf.org/range-compliance-workshop/

Hope this helps.

Here in Oregon, whenever a member range is faced with this issue, OASR sends people to review the range, it's operation and if necessary, will bring in the environmental company we work with to help.  We also have lawyers who are very knowledgeable about shooting ranges and lead issues.  We've kept several of our member ranges from closing down.  One was a private indoor range, and the others are membership only outdoor ranges.

Fred

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2017, 05:59:47 PM »
Here's the link to the agenda for the two day workshop:  https://www.nssf.org/range-compliance-workshop/agenda-osha-workshop/

They give you the tools you need to keep the agencies off your back, and at the same time benefit your members/shooters.  The goal is to continue to have a safe place to shoot.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2017, 10:11:47 AM »

RCG

It isn't cheap, but here's workshop tailored to the subject coming up next month:  https://www.nssf.org/range-compliance-workshop/

Hope this helps.

Here in Oregon, whenever a member range is faced with this issue, OASR sends people to review the range, it's operation and if necessary, will bring in the environmental company we work with to help.  We also have lawyers who are very knowledgeable about shooting ranges and lead issues.  We've kept several of our member ranges from closing down.  One was a private indoor range, and the others are membership only outdoor ranges.

Fred

Fred

Thank you!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 04:37:59 PM by recoilguy »
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country