Author Topic: Finally pulled the trigger on Defensive carry package for my new Phantom...  (Read 3244 times)

Offline clinttho

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on the defensive carry pckg for my new Phantom.

I bought extra high grit paper and a second 3/16 roll pin punch- wish me luck. The only thing puzzling to me about the phantom compared to my other CZs and Tristars I?ve disassembled is it looks like there are a lot of pins you have to drive out of this gun to get it broken down. We shall see but I?m sure the results will be worth it. Eventually I will probably add the RRK.

Wish me luck or tell me what parts I should have bought that I didn?t lol

Offline Tanners Owner

Good luck
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline Tok36

Nice the Phantom is one that i have not had the opportunity to play with. It is unique among the other CZ pistols. May your tuning go well.

Here is a link to the only guide that i am aware of on the subject. I am sure that are more but i have not run into them yet.

SP-01 Phantom disassembly and reassembly
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=33120.0
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:44:11 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline clinttho

Thanks guys

You?re right- the Phantom is a much different pistol to take apart.  I stupidly assumed the takedown and strip would be like a steel SP01 tactical or something.

I am lucky I saw that guide in the link posted here beforehand. I did have to refer back to it at one point to see what pins to knock out And forgot that  everything comes out at once and to do anything meaningful everything must come out again, I think. Probably should?ve ordered the pro kit instead or tossed that RRK in the order. Maybe I?ll order an 85 trigger or the RRK before the reassembly, something tells me that part won?t be as easy.  Aside from knocking out of hammer pins and a little polishing the internals are very clean and have a mirror shine in most of the places I?m used to sanding/polishing-especially compared to my cz75b. Everything on that was rough. Almost nothing on this gun looks that way but I still did the trigger bar, disconnect and lightly the fp chamber.

Anyway I will return with thoughts and maybe pics of reassembly with the new cgw defensive carry kit.

Offline clinttho

Wow,

I got the slide done in about 10 minutes. I just was able to get all the internals together but I must have not gotten the disconnector attached to the trigger bar correctly so the hammer was stuck all the way back and it was locked up.  Tore it down and will resume tomorrow. I would?ve done the 3spring change only had I known what I do now. Or would have picked up the regular SP01

Offline clinttho

Done. Wish I hadn?t done this to the Phantom myself and waited for an SP01 safety or decocker to install this in instead. The polymer lower, IMO, makes the phantom a far more difficult beast to modify or disassemble/reassemble than I?d like. The results were great, especially single action but I could have put this package in a CZ75b or SP01 ten times in the time it took me to do it once due to the sear cage design and lack of info on this pistol. Still, props to CGW.

To be honest the only thing I should have done was shoot it stock for a few thousand rounds before any modding..  It was excellent out of the box. I plan to pick up a cz P10c and will probably run it stock for a long time before swapping out anything but the sights.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
My Phantom short thousands of rounds before it went to Cajun Gun Works, and while I thought it was perfect, they made it, (bad grammar alert), more perfect.

The Guardian

My Phantom short thousands of rounds before it went to Cajun Gun Works, and while I thought it was perfect, they made it, (bad grammar alert), more perfect.

I think you meant "......more perfect-er".  That''s the correct grammer  ;D

The Guardian

Done. Wish I hadn?t done this to the Phantom myself and waited for an SP01 safety or decocker to install this in instead. The polymer lower, IMO, makes the phantom a far more difficult beast to modify or disassemble/reassemble than I?d like. The results were great, especially single action but I could have put this package in a CZ75b or SP01 ten times in the time it took me to do it once due to the sear cage design and lack of info on this pistol. Still, props to CGW.

Yeah, the Phantom is a bit different........not unmanageable, just.......slightly different  ???

Offline R.A.N.G.E.R

Considering for a good range / plinker gun, and I?ve been stacking a Phantom vs  P-09. Really a tough choice, they both have benefits, but being a little lesser known as far a mods and assembly may not help favor the Phantom.

I would polish up the moving parts and consider what to upgrade along the way. I understand that with experience it?s not that hard to get in and disassemble and reassemble.  Interesting too that the gun?s operation can be so positively affected by simply cleaning up and polishing parts and places that engage or contact, with a minimal amount of shaping.

Wonder what parts upgrades would give the most benefit ? lighten the DA pull and shorten SA and DA pulls on the SP-01 Phantom but help keep the initial parts price down some?

Offline viking499

Re: Finally pulled the trigger on Defensive carry package for my new Phantom...
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 02:39:30 PM »
Considering for a good range / plinker gun, and I?ve been stacking a Phantom vs  P-09. Really a tough choice, they both have benefits, but being a little lesser known as far a mods and assembly may not help favor the Phantom.

The Phantom internals have been around a lot longer than the P-09.  It is basically a SP-01 inside with a poly outside.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:01:03 PM by viking499 »

Offline clinttho

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 08:38:52 AM »
Here?s an update on my Cajunized Phantom:

Since the install of the Defensive Carry Package I?ve shot about 600 rounds through the pistol.  Most 115g IMI FMJ and WWB.  About 100 were 124g reloads (getting the OAL is tricky with the Phantom barrel/chamber).  No failures to feed, fire or eject using the stock mags.  My offhand groups with the stock sights (my next upgrade will be EZ/D or Truglo sights) indoors was the best with any gun I currently own. I was shooting 3? 5 shot groups at 20 yards and ragged holes at 10y. Shooting steel I?m faster and have less misses than with my 5? PPQ, Model 66, or 75b with everything polished and the short reset kit installed/all have aftermarket sights.

As far as taking it apart and reassembling it- It was a pain compared to a CZ75b because of the sear cage and my unfamiiiarity but I will be doing it again because i have one complaint and that is excess pre-travel, particularly in SA. There?s about 3/8? of it.  I polished and installed all the parts properly. The DA pull is light and crispy so is SA.  I need to find out how to get that reduced, if possible.

I am wondering if a CGW barrel bushing would be worth installing in a gun this new or not?  The lockup is tighter than any gun I?ve had.

I have no regrets buying the Phantom over the P09.  It?s a better looking gun, feels better in the hand and there as many if not more aftermarket options to upgrade. 

I did polish the trigger bar and other proper areas on the Phantom but most of the internals were very smooth and nowhere near as in need of sanding/polishing as the CZ75b.  Mainly only the trigger bar neeeded sanded/polished, i got most of it done with 2000 grit in a short period and finished with polish.  There was very little polishing needed on this, in fact I might have gotten away okay without it but I?d just ordered a variety pack of 300-3000 grit paper on Amazon for a few bucks and made sure it was done and done well.

I?m very happy,  I just need to solve the pretravel issue.  My plans for now are EZ/D type sights and LightDraw or another OWB concealable holster (still have 16rd flush mags from my 75b).  Then possibly an adjustable sear or reach reduction kit, possible barrel bushing.  I?m not sure if I need to change the recoil spring- i have the stock one in, am running an 11.5# mainspring, use 115g range ammo and keep it loaded with 124g HST or Gold Dots when i may be using it for nightstand duty.  That will change as soon as I get my P10c which will be my Winter carry/nightstand gun.  Right now I carry a 45 Shield- a very good gun. 

The Guardian

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 08:00:33 PM »
I have no regrets buying the Phantom over the P09.  It?s a better looking gun, feels better in the hand and there as many if not more aftermarket options to upgrade. 
I just need to solve the pretravel issue. 
My plans for now are EZ/D type sights.....
Then possibly an adjustable sear or reach reduction kit, possible barrel bushing. 
I?m not sure if I need to change the recoil spring- i have the stock one in, am running an 11.5# mainspring......

Just wanted to comment on a few points you made......  :)

Agree completely with the first statement....had a P09, Phantom is just flat better for the reason you stated

As far as the pretravel, I hedged on that myself, but decided to leave it as is in lieu of a RRK or SRS......I have those as part of a Pro Pkg and it makes for a fine range/comp gun but a bit too easy to pull the trigger in a self-defense situation....just my opinion

Put the EZ/D sights on my Phantom......so much better than the anemic factory sights

As for the adjustable sear, I've never seen a need to put one in a de-cocker.......I do in safety versions but only if I do a RRK or SRS, otherwise no

A lighter recoil spring will reduce the muzzle flip and make follow up shots quicker, more manageable, hence more accurate.......I put in an #11 (yellow) which worked very well, even a #12 (red) would do.  I did end up getting a DPM System recoil kit.......its even better, softer and smoother, just FYI if your looking for something different.

anything