Author Topic: CGW P-01 or CGW P-01 steel frame for ccw  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Ifixplanes

CGW P-01 or CGW P-01 steel frame for ccw
« on: July 27, 2021, 09:27:40 PM »
Hey all,

I haven’t decided if I should start the hunt for the steel frame p01 or just send my p01 to Cajun when my time comes. I fully assume when either come back, they will either become the main carry gun, after I run a few hundred round though it, or at minimum go into my carry rotation.

Does anyone carry the steel frame currently? If so is it overly heavy? I know the gun alone is 10oz heavier then the alloy frame, which I honestly don’t see as a major issue.

Offline dbarn

Re: CGW P-01 or CGW P-01 steel frame for ccw
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 06:21:52 AM »
I have owned the P-01 aluminum frame and still own a SP-01 tactical steel frame. While I do not own a steel frame compact and from a shooting standpoint, the heavier SP-01 recoiled less and has a thinner frame. Additionally and for my hands the beavertail is much more generous on the steel frame pistols, for some this is an issue and others not so much.

Bottom line and my opinion, if you can make the steel frame work for you and weight is not an issue (good belt and holster) I say go steel. YMMV

Offline Ifixplanes

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 06:56:50 AM »
A good belt and holster make all the difference, most people seem to skip that part. I think ill have no issue with the weight but the added weight helping the recoil, or what little recoil is already there is very tempting. It’s just finding the unicorn of a steel frame p01 now lol

Offline alp3367

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 12:38:10 PM »
 I'd carry the alloy over the steel everytime.

Offline viking499

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 12:39:31 PM »

Ditto

Offline Ifixplanes

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 03:20:02 PM »

I just got the email from CGW informing me they are ready for me to ship mine in, so alloy it is.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 08:47:17 PM »
I have carried a P01 Omega (aluminum/railed frame) and a CZ75 Compact (steel/no rail frame)

I honestly don't notice a difference on the belt or in my hand.  Only when I'm cleaning the pistols and remove the slide/barrel/recoil spring assembly and pick up the frame without the top end does my "mind" tell me the P01 frame is lighter than the Compact frame.

I guess the railed steel frame will weigh a little bit more than the standard Compact steel frame.

The P01 Streel frame is also different at the back.  The beavertail on the P01 steel framed gun is like the CZ75SAO or the SP01.  Some people prefer that to the standard CZ75B/BD/Compact frame beavertail.

If you carry/use/abuse them enough to want to get them refinished some day the steel framed pistol might be easier to have a really durable refinish/coating put on it.

I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Swamp ash

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 09:54:05 PM »

I just got the email from CGW informing me they are ready for me to ship mine in, so alloy it is.
Congratulations :)
You'll be a happy camper, soon!
Ruger rimfire fan

Offline Ifixplanes

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 10:21:38 PM »

Congratulations :)
You'll be a happy camper, soon!

I’m stoked! Now the impatient side sets in, my holster is already on the way and light will be ordered soon as well.

Offline Ifixplanes

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 10:25:19 PM »
I have carried a P01 Omega (aluminum/railed frame) and a CZ75 Compact (steel/no rail frame)

I honestly don't notice a difference on the belt or in my hand.  Only when I'm cleaning the pistols and remove the slide/barrel/recoil spring assembly and pick up the frame without the top end does my "mind" tell me the P01 frame is lighter than the Compact frame.

I guess the railed steel frame will weigh a little bit more than the standard Compact steel frame.

The P01 Streel frame is also different at the back.  The beavertail on the P01 steel framed gun is like the CZ75SAO or the SP01.  Some people prefer that to the standard CZ75B/BD/Compact frame beavertail.

If you carry/use/abuse them enough to want to get them refinished some day the steel framed pistol might be easier to have a really durable refinish/coating put on it.

Thank you for the info, I knew there was a difference and I love my SP-01 feel. I went with the alloy and shipped it off today. I was too impatient once I got the email from CGW. Maybe someday I’ll find and do a steel frame as well, but I might just look at getting another rare Cz as a safe queen.