Author Topic: My carbine had an FTE today. Unbelievable  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Buckshot Barry

My carbine had an FTE today. Unbelievable
« on: September 16, 2018, 10:44:23 PM »
I have an early 2017 Scorpion Carbine and today was it's very first malfunction after 1000's of rounds.

It was on the 6th and last stage of our Outlaw 3-Gun match. Running 115 grain Federal (Walmart) Champion rounds which is it's usual diet. The only internal modification is an HBI spring kit.

30 round CZ factory mag and somewhere after the 20 something round of a healthy string I pull the trigger and nothing.

I thought that I had ran the mag dry, swapped mags, hit the charging handle (which cycled the bolt) and pulled the trigger again but nothing.

That's when I looked at the ejection port and there was an empty case protruding out that was stuck to the bolt face sideways. WTH is going on.

Cleared the empty and did about a 20 round dump on 4 targets at 60 feet (now that was fun and I was the last shooter for the day on that stage, so no repasting).

I learned a lot about my Scorpion today. It can jam, even after 14 or so issue free matches. I should always do a visual to see what went wrong. As much as I would have liked to have "analyzed" the malfunction that's just not possible while under the clock.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: My carbine had an FTE today. Unbelievable
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 10:52:18 PM »
Odd indeed.  :o

Offline Buckshot Barry

Re: My carbine had an FTE today. Unbelievable
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 02:04:44 PM »
Agreed.

The more I think about it, it may have been an underpowered round without enough power to fully cycle the bolt.

anything