Author Topic: TA90 Extraction issues please help!  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Buickgsman

TA90 Extraction issues please help!
« on: November 27, 2017, 04:35:46 PM »
Hi all, I've been having extraction issues with my TA90.  Gun was made in 1988 and just purchased by me from CDI sales off GB.  The gun is in great shape, but i have about 6 to 8 stovepipes per 100 rounds.  I installed new Wolff springs and still had the stovepipes.  I did a little filing on the extractor to get more tension and the stovepipes continued.  Anyway, I ordered an extractor from Ben Stoeger and it came and was slightly different.  It has a larger contact surface for the case which would'nt fit in my gun. I filed it flat so that I could install it.  The cases fit very tightly when held by the extractor now.  I even trimmed the extractor spring a bit to try to relieve some prerssure on it.  I am still getting the stovepipes and it's not the most graceful ejection i've ever seen.  Can anyone point me in the right direction with my issue?  I am loving the gun and can see it wuickly becoming my favorite range gun once I get this resolved.  Any and all help is appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline win308

Re: TA90 Extraction issues please help!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 06:25:13 PM »
You may need hotter ammo.  Try GECO 124gr or some other European brand.  American "white box" ammo is a little weak for some European guns and they don't cycle back with enough force to strongly eject the spent case, causing stove pipes.  I switched to GECO and my ejection issues disappeared.

Offline Buickgsman

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 08:02:21 PM »
That's great advice, and I would...  but I've already messed with the extractor.  I do this to myself occassionally...  cause my own hardships that I need to fix.  At this point I'd be happy just getting back to square 1 with a stock replacement extractor i guess.  I do have some NATO WWB 124gr I could use when i think i'm close.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 07:33:29 AM »
You said you replaced springs in the gun - which ones?  Yes, MOST CZ type issues are extractor related.  A good cleaning of the channel and replacement with a Wolff spring is a good thing. 

Filing of an extractor is not a good thing.  Polishing it can be if you know what you are doing. 

Your gun is a Tanf gun - call EAA and talk to them about a Tanf extractor for a 90 model - it is a small frame gun for them.  If you need a new extractor - this is the place to start.

If you had been shooting quality factory ammo - you should be OK for that.  ANY CZ clone should shoot any factory ammo fine.  There IS junk available.  I found that American Steel to be such. Useable, but not that good - can produce stovepipes in a good gun.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 01:09:40 PM »
Failure to extract is typically the sign of a weak Extractor Spring.  I would replace the Extractor Spring with a Wolff Extra-Power Extractor Spring and try the original Extractor. You might have to trim a Coil to fit it.   I had similar issues with a pair of new Tanfoglio/RIA MAP1 Pistols.

Armscore/Tanfoglio MAP1 Full Size and Mid Size 9mm Pistols with Hogue Cz75 Grips and Mec-Gar AFC Cz75 17 round Magazines

My older Full Size Series 88 TA90 did have some Extraction Problems, when new, and I replaced the Extractor with a Pre-B Cz75 Extractor and a Pre-B Cz75 Extractor Spring to cure some of it's issues.  This particular TA90 also took quite awhile to wear in, functionally.

Series 88 Tanfoglio 9mm TA90's, Full Size and Compact.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline WiskyT

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 07:18:54 PM »
Make sure the chamber is smooth, as in no corrosion. A rough chamber can cause these problems and a surplus pistol like this could have some corrosion issues.  Also, check the ejector and make sure it isn't broken or bent, which could easily happen on a surplus pistol.

Offline Buickgsman

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 09:39:18 PM »
JWC007, I'm thinking I would like to try and find a pre B CZ extractor and spring.  Any ideas on where I can find one.  I would think my gun is the same as your full size TA90.  All of the other extractors I've seen including EAA, Numrich, Ben Stoeger all have the extra material on the extractor hook.  All of the suggestions here are very appreciated.  I love this gun, it may be my favorite gun to shoot....  IF I can get the ejection corrected. 

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 02:11:12 PM »
JWC007, I'm thinking I would like to try and find a pre B CZ extractor and spring.  Any ideas on where I can find one.  I would think my gun is the same as your full size TA90.  All of the other extractors I've seen including EAA, Numrich, Ben Stoeger all have the extra material on the extractor hook.  All of the suggestions here are very appreciated.  I love this gun, it may be my favorite gun to shoot....  IF I can get the ejection corrected.

You can try Cz-USA to see if they have any of the Pre-B parts, but beyond that, EAA and Numrich, would have been my other suggestions.
Some of the other small gun parts houses may be able to help.

Also note that the Pre-B Extractor will have to have it's Pin Hole drilled out to match the Tanfoglio Pin.  I'm sure that your Pistol can be fixed at some point.

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Buickgsman

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 08:34:34 PM »
Thanks for the Pre B extractor info.  These things aren't easy to find.  I have an extractor being sent to me from the outfit that I purchased the gun from.  I do appreciate good customer service!   I'm hoping to have that mid week and I will be thrilled if it just plain works without any messing around.  I'm loving this gun otherwise!

Offline Buickgsman

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 05:18:52 PM »
Update:  Got the replacement extractor and it was the wrong one as it had the extra claw hanging down.  I ordered a 4 pack of recoil springs from Wolfs and I'll see if one of those helps correct my issue.  Frustrating!

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 06:47:55 PM »
Update:  Got the replacement extractor and it was the wrong one as it had the extra claw hanging down.

There were a limited number of TA90's fitted with the Walther Style Extractor, as opposed to the original Cz Style Extractor.  My Compact TA90 is one of them.
My Full Size TA90 came with the current Cz Style Extractor.  The Slide Boltface has to be cut properly for either one.
The Compact TA90 has been extremely reliable. Never a mis-feed and very accurate.

It might be possible to modify a Cz Style Extractor to fit, but that's only something I would have to look at in person.
You did not try a stronger Extractor Spring?

Series 88 Tanfoglio 9mm TA90's, Full Size and Compact.

anything