Author Topic: Failure to feed  (Read 19630 times)

Offline MeatAxe

Re: Failure to feed
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2018, 09:41:21 PM »
Is it a coincidence that we've seen a (admittedly small) uptick in QC / function issues since CZ started pandering to the Glocktard market with the P10? I think not.

I was afraid of this, probably moving experienced people off the regular assembly lines to service the Glock fad.

Fathers, don't let your sons grow up to be glocktards...

Offline Ruber

Failure to feed
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2018, 09:21:35 AM »
After the ftf, I proceeded to fire 125 rounds including 75 hollow points with no problems.  This apparently random, intermittent ftf makes little sense.  Could I be not holding the gun tight enough, especially with the 14 round mag?

How many rounds through the gun total?  It actually sounds like you are doing pretty well  for a low round count gun.  As I understand it from your posts, you have run approximately 130 rounds through it since the repair and had a single ftf on the 4th round.  I?d clean, lube, shoot more.

I get the frustration, I?ve had lots of other guns that just run right from round one.  None have the performance of the RAMI.

I tend to break in a gun starting with only half full mags or 5 rounds per mag until a few hundred rounds are down range then start adding more rounds.  Does two things, helps me focus on grip/hold and lets the feed lips and breech face smooth out nicely.

With any CZ, I shoot a box, deep clean, lube, repeat for the first 500-1,000 rounds, its amazing how dirty the oil gets. If it is still having an issue, then start thinking about working on it.

It looks like the Fed FMJ?s work well in it, maybe shoot a few hundred more of those then try the hp?s.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:36:26 PM by Ruber »

Offline Ruber

Failure to feed
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2018, 10:46:19 AM »
Is it a coincidence that we've seen a (admittedly small) uptick in QC / function issues since CZ started pandering to the Glocktard market with the P10? I think not.
Don?t know if I buy this, these issues have been brought up occasionally over the past decade +, and I?ve known two folks that have  recently bought RAMIs that ran great brand new.

I?d think it is more a matter of more RAMIs on the market.  Our local shops are selling many more than even a few years back.  When I first got one, very few people knew what they were, and the reputation was not good, they were selling new for under $300.  Now I?m seeing RAMIs on front pages of local  adds.

Thinking its just more of an odds game and people were less concerned when CZ?s used to cost less than kahrs and glocks...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:20:00 AM by Ruber »

Offline frogwalking

• Retired Engineer, Viet. Vet., (one of the 4%)
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2018, 03:23:22 PM »
I called Mike at CZ warranty.  He looked up my case.  We discussed the nature of the issue, and the stone axe reliable nature of several other semiautomatic pistols I own.  He said a failure of any kind should be a very rare occurrence.  I said I will put another 100 rounds of HP and ball through the pistol.  If there are any failures, I will return it again.  (This RAMI has 500 to 800 rounds through it.  I have not been counting.

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2018, 06:10:45 PM »
I called Mike at CZ warranty.  He looked up my case.  We discussed the nature of the issue, and the stone axe reliable nature of several other semiautomatic pistols I own.  He said a failure of any kind should be a very rare occurrence.  I said I will put another 100 rounds of HP and ball through the pistol.  If there are any failures, I will return it again.  (This RAMI has 500 to 800 rounds through it.  I have not been counting.

I went back through this thread and you said that when you got the pistol back from CZ for repairs, it had extensive work done to the feed ramp. Could be that they "over did" the repairs. I had a Browning HP clone  "repaired" like that to help feed HPs several years ago, and they basically destroyed the feed ramp / barrel and made it even worse.

I had this problem of the occasional failure to feed on my 2014 Rami when I first got it. I basically fixed it myself by VERY LIGHTLY polishing the feed ramp with Dremel tool using the bullet shaped buffer. I stress, I just did a light buffing of the feed ramp, I did not alter the shape or geometry of it at all. It only took one light buffing and the pistol has been flawless since then.

Sometimes it's better to do the DIY fix by buffing the feed ramp lightly and gradually rather than sending it back to the factory where some ham-fisted repairman might over do the repairs in an effort to demonstrate that he did "something" to your gun.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:22:13 PM by MeatAxe »

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2018, 10:45:01 PM »
I think you are right.  The mod to the feed ramp does appear to ne excessive.  (The failure with the Winchester FMJ was unexpected. ) This may end with a new RAMI.  If they change the barrel only, the serial number will have to match.  I have a S&W that the mfg replaced the frame, complete with laser etched serial number.

Offline Ruber

Failure to feed
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2018, 10:50:49 PM »
Hope it settles in with a few more rounds.  Hold onto the brass after you shoot it, look for any grooves, nicks, scratches, or dings.  It should come out nice and smooth, anything to the contrary will tell you where to look.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:59:10 PM by Ruber »

Offline ldryder

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2018, 06:39:46 PM »
Got my Rami back from CZ with the following repairs:  Polished feed ramp, breach face lead in and extractor.  Replaced firing pin.

Went to the range today and shot 200 rounds of Federal American Eagle 9mm 124 Grain Ammo FMJ from the 10 and 14 round magazines.

No failures to feed, or even a hiccup of any kind.

Offline Ruber

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2018, 03:33:25 PM »
Congrats!  How?d you do?  I?m always amazed at the potential accuracy of the little RAMI.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2018, 06:50:42 PM »
Since the last failure to feed, I have fired almost 200 rounds without a malfunction.  Unless there are several more in the near future, I will say this case is closed.  The past rounds fired included both fmj and Federal HST hollow points.  I think CZ's work ha had a positive effect on the Rami functioning.  Not perfect, but much better.  Of course, a major source of improvement could have been a thousand rounds down range.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2018, 10:01:34 PM »
Another 50 rounds through all magazines with no failures to feed.  A few more uneventful range visits and I will be happy with this gun.  (I did put the Extra strength Wolf spring
 back in the 14 round magazine)  My rear sight set screw fell out.  The rear sight moved to the left.  I have that fixed, and CZ is sending a new screw for no charge.  Several months ago a grip screw disappeared.  I hope this gun is not like an old HD Sportster which would regularly drop bolts along the road as it slowly disassembled itself.  :)

Offline Esquilax

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2018, 10:17:33 PM »
Cool Hands (and others I think) have pretty nice Torx head screws with rubber washers. A squirt of blue Loctite will prevent any other issues.

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2018, 11:16:54 PM »
^^ I've been using Loctite 2422 on all my firearms applications that need a thread locker (e.g. scope mounts, rifle forendes, etc.) - stands up to high heat, shock proof, can be removed fairly easily, if necessary -- works great!

https://www.lawsonproducts.com/Loctite/2422-Ultra-High-Temp-Blue-Threadlocker/1383606.lp

This is not your standard loctite, you either have to order it online or get it from an industrial supply house like Fastenal or Grainger.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 04:10:18 AM by MeatAxe »

JHP147

« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2018, 08:23:40 AM »
Thanks CZ Forum members!  I, too, have a brand new 2075 BD with FTF problems using the 14 round magazine.  I read this forum and bought the CZ Custom +10 spring recommended in a previous post.  Yesterday I went to to the range and had just 1 FTF in a couple hundred rounds....a major improvement from my last visit to the range. 

I also used the web service link to ask CZ what to do, that was a week ago.  No response so far, a bit disappointed that in more than a week they haven't acknowledged my message.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2018, 10:44:55 AM »
My Rami has now fired 350+ rounds since the last ftf.  Most have been Winchester fmj (30 or so Federal HST).  I need to fire about 50 more HST hollow points.  If this goes without problem, I declare the Rami good. I am sure CZ.s gunsmithing helped, but I now consciously hold the Rami more tightly.  Those who are having occasional ftf might try this.  You do not need to tell anyone.