Author Topic: 38 Special Bullet Advise  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: 38 Special Bullet Advise
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 11:18:36 PM »
One of the great things about 38 Spcl is that the optimal speed for a Wad Cutter is generally between 800 and 850fps. Some days you can walk to the target faster than the bullet can fly ! At these speeds, as long as a lead bullet fits the barrel properly, then there's going to be zero lead fouling.

So while jacketed bullets might be appreciated for your 357M loads or hot 38 Spcl, your target 38 Spcl loads can use the cheaper lead bullets.

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline andrew1220

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 10:51:43 AM »
I switched from lead to coated a couple of years ago and have been glad I did. My original supplier closed up shop, so I've been running Precision Bullets for about 8 months in 9, 38 and 45. Been very happy with them.
https://www.precisionbullets.com/store.html
I like the 125 gr. because I can load them low or ramp them up and they still maintain POI. I use Titegroup because I have a bunch of it.
No matter where you're going, there you are.

Offline nicky

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 06:41:43 PM »
? One note on your seating die... To put the DEWC in flush with the case mouth may require you to modify your seating anvil inside the Seating Die. Otherwise you may find it hard to seat the bullet 0.005" below flush to allow the roll crimp enough case mouth material to actually roll. If you find this to be the case, then contact me via PM and I can modify the die for you.

I forgot to thank you for the offer. It's much appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 02:52:40 PM by Wobbly »

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 09:46:03 AM »
I forgot to thank you for the offer. It's much appreciated.

And I forgot to post photos so that you'd fully understand !

On some seating anvils, where the anvil diameter is the same as the case, in order to seat "flush" the Seating action actually has to push the bullet slightly below flush with the case mouth. In these instances the seating anvil can contact the case mouth and buckle the case. To rectify this, a small notch can be cut in the periphery of the anvil to provide the needed clearance.

;)

Offline nicky

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 06:39:42 PM »
Clever.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 11:27:28 PM »
Clever.

I didn't see it right off. The case buckling was seemingly random, and very puzzling. It took forever to figure out what the heck was going on. Later on it occurred to me that it was only the longest cases being distorted.

Necessity is a mother.

Offline nicky

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 02:48:19 AM »
Did you do that on a lathe?

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 02:55:21 PM »
Did you do that on a lathe?

Every good reloader has a metal lathe.  O0

Offline revchuck

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 10:25:50 AM »
OP - You didn't mention whether your .357 had adjustable or fixed sights.  Fixed-sight guns are traditionally set up to hit POA with 158-grain bullets, though the 148-grain wadcutters tend to work fine.

If you're going to be shooting lead bullets, make sure the bullets fit the throats in the cylinder.  The easy way to test for this is to drop a bullet from the rear of the cylinder.  If it sticks in the throat but you can push it through with moderate pressure using a pencil or something similar, you're good to go.  If it falls right through, it's too small and there's a good chance it'll tend to lead the barrel.  If it's too big, it'll still work but won't be ideal.  The default size for .38/.357 lead bullets is .358.