Author Topic: Mark III Hi Power vs. the CZ75 (Video Showdown!)  (Read 5577 times)

Offline Hrfunk

Mark III Hi Power vs. the CZ75 (Video Showdown!)
« on: December 11, 2017, 07:30:32 AM »
Hi folks,

Here is a video I've been wanting to do for a while. This is my showdown between the GP35 and the CZ75. Both are vying for the title of top Classic 9mm Service Pistol. Take a look and see what you think. Be sure to let me know your thoughts too!

Howard

Offline czsuby

Re: Mark III Hi Power vs. the CZ75 (Video Showdown!)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 09:35:57 AM »
The Hi Power is a beauty but I sold the one I had because I could not master the trigger.  I even removed the mag safety but it didn't help. It was a good looker though.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 08:43:27 PM »
Liked, subscribed!

Offline Mister Coffee

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 12:17:04 AM »
Another great video, Howard. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort. :)
Colt 1911s, Browning Hi-Powers, other assorted noisemakers.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 09:22:24 AM »
Another great video, Howard. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort. :)

Ditto!

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 09:25:42 AM »

You?re welcome! I?m glad you liked it.

HRF

Offline badwrench

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 01:44:36 PM »

HRF

You do know that the CZ75 can be converted to SAO, that to me, would have been more of a apples to apples compairsion, myself I like hi powers, and, I'd tell anyone who wants one to get one while they can be found, as it's my understanding that FN, has stopped making hi powers..  Both these pistols take to customizing very well, in this case, I'd give the nod to the CZ, as I think it's cheaper to mod the CZ than it is the Hi-power..

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 02:23:53 PM »

HRF

You do know that the CZ75 can be converted to SAO, that to me, would have been more of a apples to apples compairsion, myself I like hi powers, and, I'd tell anyone who wants one to get one while they can be found, as it's my understanding that FN, has stopped making hi powers..  Both these pistols take to customizing very well, in this case, I'd give the nod to the CZ, as I think it's cheaper to mod the CZ than it is the Hi-power..

I do know that about the CZ75, but I wanted to compare them more or less in their most common configuration. This was intended to be an evaluation of service pistols, and both the CZ75 and the GP35 are in their service forms. My understanding regarding the Hi Power is the same was yours. We are witnessing the demise of a legend. Soon, there will be one less tie between modern shooters and the great pistol designs of the past.

HEF

Offline flying

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 02:36:13 PM »
Hi-Power is always nice but hard to mod/accurize

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 08:53:53 PM »
Generally, HP triggers suck - and this is pretty well known.  After $200 mine is very good.  But, OTB, generally the CZ is better - and that is coming from someone who thinks CZ 75 triggers have MUCH room for improvement OTB.  And you don't have to worry and do any teeth sucking about the mysterious "two trigger pulls".  Just choose one how you will carry.  A B model is perfectly safe to carry in DA.  Or, you can go C/L.  Your choice. 

Offline Ruber

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 10:49:31 PM »
Generally, HP triggers suck - and this is pretty well known.
I had not realized this, I?ve been super lucky with all of my HP?s.

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 08:22:39 AM »
Generally, HP triggers suck - and this is pretty well known.

You know, this is one of those things that is quite subjective. Trigger quality also has a great tendency to vary from pistol to pistol. While I agree the Hi Power trigger in most cases is inferior to a tuned 1911 and/or an OTB CZ, I think you have to consider it's original intent; i.e. a military service pistol. As you are no doubt aware, to this day with the M16/M4, military leaders are not disposed to send troops off to war with a firearm possessing a "hair trigger." As a shooter who values accuracy, I would prefer to have a good trigger on anything I shoot. On the other hand, as a firearms instructor who has trained many inexperienced shooters, the idea of arming someone with a firearm that has a light trigger, giving that person a minimal amount of training, and then dropping him/her into a high stress environment, sounds rather imprudent.

If you're looking for a match pistol, then I agree, the CZ is going to be more competitive right out of the box. It also allows for greater customization. On the other hand, for a battle pistol that's going to be dragged through "Lord-knows-what", and then asked to perform, I think the Hi Power performs very well. It's heavier trigger may even be beneficial in that it will help prevent inadvertent shots from being squeezed off in a "startle-response." Keep in mid the fact that, in military applications, the pistol is not a primary weapon. It's intent is to provide personal protection at close range. In such a context, the Hi Power's trigger is certainly adequate. As always, the determining factor in effective weapon performance lies in a shooters training and preparation.

HRF

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 09:06:18 AM »
The main point is that the average HP trigger is worse OTB than the average CZ - in terms of shootability for the average guy. 

It is also MUCH harder to tune than a 1911 or CZ, because it has so many mating surfaces to be concerned with. 

It is easier to carry.  It is a tad slimmer and lighter.  There are some advantages.  And... it has a lower bore axis, LOL.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:19:24 AM by briang2ad »

Offline Ruber

Mark III Hi Power vs. the CZ75 (Video Showdown!)
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 12:20:36 PM »
The main point is that the average HP trigger is worse OTB than the average CZ - in terms of shootability for the average guy. 
Of four HP?s and five CZ?s (including a Cajunized SP01), that has not been the case for me.  All HP triggers are shorter, lighter, and break cleaner.  Again, may be total luck on my part (both good for HP?s and bad for CZ?s), but I would never stand by that OTB claim.

And not saying either are great, both are well behind my factory S&W?s, Sigs, and 1911?s.

It is also MUCH harder to tune than a 1911 or CZ, because it has so many mating surfaces to be concerned with. 

Totally agree, but still feel like I need to spend $350 at CGW or CZC to get a new CZ to feel half way decent.

I still like CZ?s, just liked them a whole lot more when they were a better value.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 06:51:36 PM by Ruber »

Offline Mister Coffee

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 02:48:21 PM »
I agree with Howard here . . . although the opposing argument might respond by saying that the CZ-75 was intended as an M(ilitary) and P(olice) pistol, too. Wasn't it?

Someone smarter that me pointed out that the Hi-Power trigger is generally only "bad" in part. The "bad part" is usually the take-up (and reset). The wall, the break and the over-travel are usually quite good.

I don't own a CZ yet, but I own Hi-Powers and 1911s. The Hi-Power trigger may be harder to modify than the 1911, but I have read that the Hi-Power trigger is simpler than the CZ-75 trigger and, therefore, easier to modify. I look forward to being corrected if this is wrong.
Colt 1911s, Browning Hi-Powers, other assorted noisemakers.

anything