Author Topic: Mark III Hi Power vs. the CZ75 (Video Showdown!)  (Read 5618 times)

DanMore

Re: Mark III Hi Power vs. the CZ75 (Video Showdown!)
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2017, 03:13:34 AM »
The Hi Power is a beauty but I sold the one I had because I could not master the trigger.  I even removed the mag safety but it didn't help. It was a good looker though.

Hey there, just subscribed to your YT channel.

congrats on the weight loss. Bin through that aswell and lost approx. 23 kg. Gained a bit again, but still feel fine about it.

Nice videos you are making. But I would like to pass on a bit of advice, I had to learn aswell. As it seems, you don`t have a team of filmers behind you, it gets filming a bit complicated.
Specially in terms of the sound quality. It seems you are recording the audio with the camera. Maybe a boom mic on the cam.

Try recording the audio with the seperate device. use a lav mic (you can get them cheap at amazon) to run on your smart phone, or on a seperate autiorecorder like the zoom H1 or Tascan DR-05. Both cost approx. $ 100,- or less, but do make a major difference in terms of soundquality.

Depending on what kind of videos I make, I will use either a lav mic or a boom mic connected to my Tascam DR-05.
You then only have to sync the seperate audio file with the video and mute or delete the original sound file from the video and you are home free.

The audio will sound much more natural.

But keep up the work and maybe subscribe to my channel aswell, even if it`sin german...;-)

https://www.youtube.com/DeutscheSchuetzen

If you check out my older videos and compare them to my recent ones, ou will quickly notive what I mean.

And to all

Habe a very merry Christmas

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2017, 02:59:43 PM »
Merry Christmas, and thanks for the tip! My favorite part of having a YouTube channel is the opportunity it affords me to communicate with other firearms aficionados from around the world. I checked out your channel, and I am quite impressed with the quality of your videos. Unfortunately, I am embarrassed to say I don?t understand a word of the German language. Even so, you?re English appears to be very good! Thank you for the subscription! I hope you continue to enjoy my future videos.

Take care,
HRF

DanMore

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2017, 04:33:45 AM »
Merry Christmas, and thanks for the tip! My favorite part of having a YouTube channel is the opportunity it affords me to communicate with other firearms aficionados from around the world. I checked out your channel, and I am quite impressed with the quality of your videos. Unfortunately, I am embarrassed to say I don?t understand a word of the German language. Even so, you?re English appears to be very good! Thank you for the subscription! I hope you continue to enjoy my future videos.

Take care,
HRF

Thank`s,

merry christmas to you too.

I am planning on making more english language content, since the german content is pretty limited in it`s reach.

As a matter of fact, I have three english videos up already and more is planned. Due to german gun laws and rules, I am not able to make to many videos at the range itself with talking, as time is limited and I have to make sure my club members get most out of the range time we have.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2018, 04:08:44 PM »
Just got back from the range, shooting my Hi Power Mk III beside my P07s and P228.  The Hi Power is VERY accurate when you slow down and control the gun.  Shooting it rapidly is a little tougher.  It is very snappy on recoil.  The 228 and P07 are much softer shooting.  I would surmise that my CZ Compact, of the same weight would be WAY softer shooting.  Good gun, but not as favored for me as my CZs.

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2018, 09:27:34 PM »

Take care,
HRF

Hi Dan, I finally got some time today to watch your videos. Good job! I like your presentation and content. Keep up the good work, and I?ll try to keep up with your English language vids!

HRF

Thank`s,

merry christmas to you too.

I am planning on making more english language content, since the german content is pretty limited in it`s reach.

As a matter of fact, I have three english videos up already and more is planned. Due to german gun laws and rules, I am not able to make to many videos at the range itself with talking, as time is limited and I have to make sure my club members get most out of the range time we have.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2018, 04:46:57 PM »
OP?

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 11:49:25 AM »
Yes, I tried to send a response to Dan with my iPhone, and for some reason, it didn?t play nice.

HRF

Offline tpelle

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2018, 08:01:02 PM »
Terrific comparison, Mr. Funk!

I happen to own two Hi Powers, and one CZ 75 B.  I agree with pretty much all of your observations, might like to add a few of my own.

One of my Hi Powers is an early MKIII (with the forged frame) purchased new back in the early 1990s.  That pistol originally had the adjustable target sights, but I eventually swapped them out for the basic MKIII fixed sights when I decided to CCW it. It still has the magazine disconnect, and as was posted by a earlier respondent to this thread, the grittiness due to the mag disconnect is only felt during the take up, but it does have a very bad reset.  I was always a little nervous about carrying it, though, because of the fear of marring the original polished blued finish, and decided to purchase my CZ 75 B for CCW instead.

My CZ 75 B is very accurate, and has a terrific trigger pull in both single-action and double-action.  I carry mine in double-action for the first shot, safety off (of course), manually decocked to the half-cock notch.  Your CZ 75 BD, by the way, decocks to the same half-cock notch when you operate the decocker, so I can't see where my practice is unsafe in and of itself.  (In fact, in order to incorporate the decocking mechanism on the BD, half of the half-cock notch is milled away, so it could be argued that the plain old B may even be safer.)  I have experimented with every decocking technique as appear on the 'net, and feel safest by simply hooking my strong-hand thumb over the top of the hammer and pulling it back slightly, pulling the trigger, easing the hammer down slightly, then releasing the trigger as the hammer starts down.  This lets the half-cock notch catch the hammer as well as letting the firing pin safety get into position to catch the firing pin in the unlikely event of a slip.  I find that this pistol carries every bit as comfortably as the Hi Power.

In any event, missing my Hi Power for CCW, I picked up my second Hi Power, which is actually an FEG clone surplussed by the Israeli police.  It looks like it was drug from one end of the Sinai to the other behind a Merkava, but is all matching numbers and has an excellent trigger.  The magazine disconnect was either never installed, or it was removed by the cop to whom it was issued.  Magazines drop free.  And even though it has the old style humped feed ramp it feeds my favorite JHP ammo, the Federal Classic 9BP, just fine.  And for some reason that I can't pin down it feels even better in the hand than my MKIII.  And if it gets stolen or ends up in some police department's evidence locker....well, it can't hardly come back looking any worse.

But in the end, which one is on my hip right now?  It's the CZ 75 B.

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2018, 07:37:15 AM »
Terrific comparison, Mr. Funk!

I happen to own two Hi Powers, and one CZ 75 B.  I agree with pretty much all of your observations, might like to add a few of my own.

One of my Hi Powers is an early MKIII (with the forged frame) purchased new back in the early 1990s.  That pistol originally had the adjustable target sights, but I eventually swapped them out for the basic MKIII fixed sights when I decided to CCW it. It still has the magazine disconnect, and as was posted by a earlier respondent to this thread, the grittiness due to the mag disconnect is only felt during the take up, but it does have a very bad reset.  I was always a little nervous about carrying it, though, because of the fear of marring the original polished blued finish, and decided to purchase my CZ 75 B for CCW instead.

My CZ 75 B is very accurate, and has a terrific trigger pull in both single-action and double-action.  I carry mine in double-action for the first shot, safety off (of course), manually decocked to the half-cock notch.  Your CZ 75 BD, by the way, decocks to the same half-cock notch when you operate the decocker, so I can't see where my practice is unsafe in and of itself.  (In fact, in order to incorporate the decocking mechanism on the BD, half of the half-cock notch is milled away, so it could be argued that the plain old B may even be safer.)  I have experimented with every decocking technique as appear on the 'net, and feel safest by simply hooking my strong-hand thumb over the top of the hammer and pulling it back slightly, pulling the trigger, easing the hammer down slightly, then releasing the trigger as the hammer starts down.  This lets the half-cock notch catch the hammer as well as letting the firing pin safety get into position to catch the firing pin in the unlikely event of a slip.  I find that this pistol carries every bit as comfortably as the Hi Power.

In any event, missing my Hi Power for CCW, I picked up my second Hi Power, which is actually an FEG clone surplussed by the Israeli police.  It looks like it was drug from one end of the Sinai to the other behind a Merkava, but is all matching numbers and has an excellent trigger.  The magazine disconnect was either never installed, or it was removed by the cop to whom it was issued.  Magazines drop free.  And even though it has the old style humped feed ramp it feeds my favorite JHP ammo, the Federal Classic 9BP, just fine.  And for some reason that I can't pin down it feels even better in the hand than my MKIII.  And if it gets stolen or ends up in some police department's evidence locker....well, it can't hardly come back looking any worse.

But in the end, which one is on my hip right now?  It's the CZ 75 B.

Great comments Tpelle! They are both great and classic pistol designs. I tend to favor the Hi Power just a smidge, but I certainly don't have any problem with you being on the other side of the fence. Take care, and enjoy your pistols!

HRF

Offline Steve B

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2018, 05:04:21 PM »
I have 'had' two GP-35s, a MK II and MK III.
Never could warm up to either one (MK II in particular really sucked).

I currently own seven CZ pistols, from a very early 75C to a recent P10C, with  each and every one being better out of the box than either of those GP-35s.
Regards,
Steve

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2018, 12:17:21 PM »
I can say that my CZ compact which is the same weight as the HiPower shoots much softer. The tang of the HP bites.

Offline RedLizard

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2018, 05:02:13 PM »
From watching the drills from over your shoulder,
it looked like the CZ recoil was less (your hand remained
more stable).  This is certainly subjective on my part.

The other thing I noticed was that the sound of each shot
was more shrill (treble) with the Hi-Power, and slightly more
subdued with the CZ.  It gave me the impression that the CZ internals
were stronger and would last longer doing their job. 

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2018, 07:20:44 AM »
I think what you were seeing was more of a difference in the trigger pull than the recoil impulse. Since I was switching immediately from the CZ75 to the BHP, I had to concentrate on the trigger pull so I didn?t jerk a shot (and I still managed to jerk a couple). As far as the sound goes, I think it has something to do with the microphone I?m using and the equalization setting in my editing software. The sound quality in my videos is a work in progress, and I?m not satisfied with it yet.

HRF
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:22:19 AM by Hrfunk »

Offline RedLizard

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2018, 07:35:17 AM »
Thanks for your response!
I can understand the difference in needing to concentrate with the DA shot.
Regarding the sound; since the Hi-Power is lighter, it's going to vibrate more quickly
from the discharge energy, resulting in a slightly higher pitch.  I'm saying this
coming from a life-long relationship with sound and music.  I realize it could be for
other reasons, but this was how it struck me at the time.

Offline Ruber

Mark III Hi Power vs. the CZ75 (Video Showdown!)
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2018, 01:24:25 PM »
The pressure at the time the bullet leaves the barrel will have an effect on the pitch.  Bore, rifling, barrel length play a role when ammo is held constant (as well as acoustics and microphone placement).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:41:21 PM by Ruber »

anything