Author Topic: How I cured my failures to feed  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Solomute

How I cured my failures to feed
« on: December 07, 2017, 04:16:43 AM »
Hey gang, I guess feed failures are a common topic with this gun. I posted this in another forum and somebody encouraged me to share it here, so, here we go.

So I was having feed issues that looked like this. The round jammed on the way into the chamber, needed a little bit of a loving tap on the back of the slide to make it go in all the way.

Upon investigation, I noticed a little lip on the top of the firing pin hole in the breech face. Eureka, I thought, the rim of the round must be catching on that little lip. Must have been a mistake by the machinist when they were drilling out the firing pin channel.  I polished that lip away, and that dramatically improved the reliability of feeding.

I say "improved," because now I was having occasional issues with rounds not even leaving the magazine. Had to cycle the action manually to load the next round.

Upon further investigation, I noticed that the slide in the RAMI doesn't move back as far as the slide on the full size 75. In fact it barely moves past the rear of the magazine. I reasoned that this must mean that in the RAMI, the magazine has less time to push a new round up than it does in the full size, so I must need to put in a stronger magazine spring to push that next round up faster.

I pulled a magazine spring out of one of my full size 16 round magazines, and put it into my RAMI 10 round magazine. Eureka! Perfect reliability now.

It's a little disappointing that this product which is such a minor evolution of a proven platform seems to be having issues for so many people that require aftermarket care out of the factory. Maybe the factory should be putting more than 5 rounds through them in the QA stage.

Offline congaree

Re: How I cured my failures to feed
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 09:45:25 AM »
This is a great post, thank you.  I've been occasionally having that issue with my new RAMI, and figured it might be a break-in issue.  Seems like it's not.  I'll try that bigger spring as well and see if that solves it.

Offline myczaccount

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 02:46:43 PM »
Hey thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum!!
Introduce yourself here: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?board=58.0
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
CZ 75 Pre B (1995)
CZ P-07
CZ P-10C
Sig Sauer P365 X Macro
Sig Sauer P226 ASE
Smith & Wesson Shield Plus

Offline jmshepherd

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 08:42:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing and welcome aboard!

Offline congaree

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 08:53:09 PM »
I will say, the failure to feed issue I had the first several range trips has sorted itself it with no action on my part at all, aside from shooting it.  I really think it was just the 10 rnd magazine breaking it.  After a dozen or so strings, the 10 rnd magazine started feeding perfectly every time.  Actually, it gradually got better, but ultimately reached to point where no further FFs occurred.  I had this same issue with another new gun I recently purchased, with the smallest magazine.  It too started behaving after about a dozen or so magazines were run through the gun.  Anyway, I'm very pleased.

Offline frogwalking

• Retired Engineer, Viet. Vet., (one of the 4%)
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 05:12:50 PM »
My experience closely resembles Congaree's.  The main difference is that the 10 round mag worked well from the beginning except one or two ftfs in the first 200 rounds.  I had more troubles with the 14 round mag.  A new stronger spring seems to have completely solved that issue  After 300 rounds, I have don't have malfunctions of any kind.  Manually slicking things up with stones or fine aluminum oxide paper would have the same effect, I bet.  It is, however, more fun to shoot the rough spots out of the action.  (I used to take guns apart just to see how they worked, but this thing has a million parts and I am old.)