Author Topic: CZ-75 Red Dot and Co-Witness for under $325  (Read 85884 times)

Offline Vinny

Re: CZ-75 Red Dot and Co-Witness for under $325
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2018, 06:49:22 PM »
So the Gorilla tape placed UNDER the Leupold mount kit is to fill a gap between mount and slide, providing more surface area contact between slide and mount?  And thus requires the longer screws you obtained at the hardware store?

The screws are actually shorter than the ones supplied for the taller Leupold mount.

The slight 'gap' is on each of the top of slide 'ridge'. I was concerned the mount could move left or right slightly. It might work OK without the tape, but I just didn't like taking a chance for any movement.

With the single layer of Gorilla tape, once the screws are snugged down, the tape squishes down tight onto the ridge and nothing moves. 

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 06:54:32 PM by Vinny »
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Vinny

Re: CZ-75 Red Dot and Co-Witness for under $300
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 09:18:37 AM »
P.S.  I think this set-up may also work for the Compacts: CZ-75 P-01 and PCR if the rear dovetail is the same??
I think it could be a nice compact red dot for a carry gun.

I have a P-01 and I'll check it out.

Vinny ... did you check out the P-01?  I have interest in this ...

And thanks!

Although the Leupold mount works exactly the same on the P-01; because of the shorter barrel I couldn't get enough elevation adjustment to get the JPoint to zero POA-POI. At full adjustment, it still shoots ~8" low. I'm going to contact JP Enterprises who imports these from Shield in UK to see if there's another option.  But until further notice, I can't suggest these for compact 75's; just Full Size 75's and SP-01's.
"Carpe Diem"

Offline boss281

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 09:45:53 AM »
Another question: On that Tactical, did you find the raised front sight was a concern with either commercially Kydex or custom leather holsters?
Scorpion Evo S1 Carbine and Pistol, 75BD, SP-01 Tactical CGW Pro Kit, P-01 CGW Defensive Carry Kit, P-07, P-09

Offline Vinny

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 09:55:09 AM »
I can't answer specifically, as my SP-01 is a HD house gun. I would think a Kydex holster modified for a suppressor-height sight would be fine. The Dawson FO is a bit sharp-edged, perhaps a little edge-rounding would be in order.  YMMV
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Vinny

Re: CZ-75 Red Dot and Co-Witness for under $300
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 04:19:34 PM »
P.S.  I think this set-up may also work for the Compacts: CZ-75 P-01 and PCR if the rear dovetail is the same??
I think it could be a nice compact red dot for a carry gun.

I have a P-01 and I'll check it out.

Vinny ... did you check out the P-01?  I have interest in this ...

And thanks!

Although the Leupold mount works exactly the same on the P-01; because of the shorter barrel I couldn't get enough elevation adjustment to get the JPoint to zero POA-POI. At full adjustment, it still shoots ~8" low. I'm going to contact JP Enterprises who imports these from Shield in UK to see if there's another option.  But until further notice, I can't suggest these for compact 75's; just Full Size 75's and SP-01's.
UPDATE TODAY:

Wait a minute.......If all else fails...READ THE MANUAL!
I have figured out a solution for the JPoint mount on the shorter barrel P-01.

Here's what the Manual says:
"However, there are occasions when the point of impact of a particular firearm in the elevation range will be outside the adjustment range of the sight. This requires alternate solutions such as shimming the sight."

So, instead of running the Gorilla tape underneath the full length of the mount; I applied the tape just behind the dovetail to act as a shim to tilt the optic mount slightly downward getting me back into adjustment range. Because the screws still hold everything down tight, this should not effect reliability.

Success!  I'll post some pictures:

Tape on just one end underneath mount creates enough 'tilt' to provide elevation adjustment

After dialing in here's a 2"diameter sticky at 10 yards:
"Carpe Diem"

Offline boss281

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 04:35:55 PM »
You da man!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Scorpion Evo S1 Carbine and Pistol, 75BD, SP-01 Tactical CGW Pro Kit, P-01 CGW Defensive Carry Kit, P-07, P-09

Offline doc171

• FIELD MEDICAL TECHNICIAN
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2018, 03:43:02 PM »
Question on this red dot mount of the Delta Point Pro....in the specs it says 60 MOA in vertical adjustment while the Vortex Venom offers 130 MOA adjustment. Wouldn't the Vortex Venom be a better choice to mount without milling the slide, which I would prefer to do.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2018, 05:25:58 PM »
Question on this red dot mount of the Delta Point Pro....in the specs it says 60 MOA in vertical adjustment while the Vortex Venom offers 130 MOA adjustment. Wouldn't the Vortex Venom be a better choice to mount without milling the slide, which I would prefer to do.

Fair Question.
What mount would you use for the Venom; and do you want to have BUIS?

This Project is about a cost-effective setup without milling that mounts low enough and achieves BUIS co-witness without a gigantically tall front sight.

I like the Venom, I have three of them mounted (milled) on three different handguns; P-07, P-09 and FN-FNX Tac. If I milled my CZ-75 a Venom would be a good option. I'm trying to avoid milling.

We're talking about using a JPoint, not a DPP. An advantage of the JPoint is that it's one of the smallest mini-RDS, it mounts very low and fits the slide nicely on the Leupold CZ-75 mount, and has a built-in rear iron 'notch' to utilize as your rear iron. The JPoint/Shield are the only other RDS that fit that mount. And unlike the Viper which is another small optic, the JPoint adjustments are accessible on top and side, not back where a rear iron would interfere with adjustment unless drilled through.

Another advantage of the JPoint IMO is it stays on 24/7 so it's always ready, and automatically adjusts to ambient (target) light. If you turn on a flashlight, it adjusts. If you go from a dark room to a bright room, it adjusts.

The JPoint specs say it has 125 inches of vertical adjustment at 100 yards.  That's 125 moa adjustment. But at 10 yards that's 12.5" and I would assume that's like only 6" up or down. Works OK on Full size 75, but shorter barrel Compact P-01 required a slight shim 'tilt' as pictured in thread above.

Hey, after all is said and done; milling in your RDS is the best option; go for the Venom, but it's more $$ and it can't be reversed. YMMV

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:32:07 PM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline kmanick

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2018, 08:13:13 PM »
I find this thread interesting. I have a Shield minisight on my M&P Performance Center 9L and I also
 had to shim the rear up so there was enough elevation adjustment to zero.
Great sights! I was shooting steel plates today at 35 feet and 75 feet and had no problem ripping them
down at either distance. At what distance did you zero yours at...if I may ask :)
make it criminal to own a gun and only criminals will own them

Offline Vinny

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2018, 09:54:25 PM »
I find this thread interesting. I have a Shield minisight on my M&P Performance Center 9L and I also
 had to shim the rear up so there was enough elevation adjustment to zero.
Great sights! I was shooting steel plates today at 35 feet and 75 feet and had no problem ripping them
down at either distance. At what distance did you zero yours at...if I may ask :)

I understand the newer Shield mini-RDS that you have is an upgrade from the JPoint. The new Walther PPS M2 RMSc sub-compact carry comes from the factory with a milled Shield. I like it's compact size, 24/7 ready-on and brightness auto-adjust. IMO less to think about in a pressure situation.

I typically zero at 10 yards.
Due to the fact that barrel and RDS are on slightly different planes, If I shoot a little closer like 5-7 yards Defensive range, the POI is a fraction lower. If I shoot out a little further out say 15 or 20 yards, the POI goes a fraction higher.  Beyond that I think the bullet drop starts to negate the rise. So for me zeroing at 10 yards works.

How bout you?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:58:57 PM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline kmanick

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2018, 10:47:09 AM »
I also zero-d mine at 10 yard ..well 32 feet. on my M&P. the shield sight allows for co witness so if you need to
find the front sight (which is suppressor height) and bam there is the dot.
I'm actually going to try and zero it out a little further. I was shooting steel plates this weekend at 30 feet, 50 feet and 75 feet and I was missing
quite a few at 75 feet and even at 50. so 50 feet will probably be the distance I try.
I also just received the CZ custom shop optics mount in the mail. this is a dove tail mount replacing the rear sight. It will take
 the shield ,the venom and the Trijicon, I have access to all 3. I'm just a little Leary of taking off my rear sight as to how I'm
going to zero it when I put it back on, but if it works well , I will probably sell the M&P and get another shadow, I shoot the shadow
much more consistently than I do the  M&P, or a target II , my buddy has one and I shoot that well too.
With the shadow 2 8" steel plates at 75 feet is a complete non issue using the  iron sights. I have a bit of trouble at that distance with polymer guns,
I tend to move a bit bit more , they are so light I have to really clamp d own my support hand alot more than I do with the CZ's:(
make it criminal to own a gun and only criminals will own them

Offline SP01bob

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2018, 11:10:35 AM »
I have a Jpoint "shield" mini sight on my M&P Performance center 9L and it's a great sight, very easy to pick up from a draw.
I just bought this CZ custom shop red dot mount from a forum member
https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/red-dot-mounting/multi-sight-base-shado-st-black.html
It won't allow a Co witness, but I've found  that for a competition gun you don't really need to co witness. My M&P is co witnessed but I could remove my iron sights
at this point and I wouldn't miss them at all. I think maybe at first when I was "learning" how to use a Red dot I may have looked for that
front sight (and the front sight on my M&P is tall so very easy to find). this option would've been cheaper (if it will work on a Shadow 2)
so I wish I saw this before I bough the other mount. On a defensive gun I think it's much more important in case the dot dies on you
you still have sights.
The dot could fail during a competition or emergency. It wise to keep iron sights as a backup.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline Coldhammerforged

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2018, 03:10:49 AM »
Thanks for the info

Offline mbliss57

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2019, 12:10:46 AM »
Thanks for the info. I am just starting to try to figure out how to put a red dot (reflex sight) on several CZs...  CZ75, CZ75BD anb CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom. This is a good start, I am still not sure if I can use the dovetails or if I need to have the slide milled on each variant.     
 I am sure I will like it.. as my older eyes have needed this for awhile. I won't need to co witness as it's a range gun and I am currently not doing any competition.
CZ75- CZBD- CZ Sp01Phantom- CZ 70- CZ 27- CZ 24
SWCA- NRA LM

Offline Vinny

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2019, 06:49:25 AM »
Thanks for the info. I am just starting to try to figure out how to put a red dot (reflex sight) on several CZs...  CZ75, CZ75BD anb CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom. This is a good start, I am still not sure if I can use the dovetails or if I need to have the slide milled on each variant.     
 I am sure I will like it.. as my older eyes have needed this for awhile. I won't need to co witness as it's a range gun and I am currently not doing any competition.
This is an older thread; if anything RDS have become more popular in the past two years, so there may be some new dovetail mount options for your 75 variants. The Leupold mount for CZ-75's with a DPPro is still viable.  What optic are you considering?
"Carpe Diem"

anything