Author Topic: range day carbine 223  (Read 465 times)

Offline arthurstearl

range day carbine 223
« on: December 25, 2017, 03:39:42 PM »
Ok great day 25th shot a lot of ammo, Best was UMC rem 55 grain. Now gun shot great for the first 2 shots from every group, but third shot was 1 1/2 inches from the other. Barrel was warming up from the 2nd shot. Barrel was touching left side of stock. Then my scope was drifting, going to get new one need recoil pad for extra length at end of stock. Now it shot a 2 shot group at under 1/2 inch a 100 yards most of my2 shot groups were under 1/2 inch. When I am done with this gun it should hold 3 shots at 1/2 all day long at 100. This is one great little gun, nice when you can figure, one of these things out grain. O 77grain match Sieara bt shot bad

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: range day carbine 223
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 04:55:29 PM »
Many years ago my buddy had a beautiful little M700 Remington in .222 Rem.

Similar issue.  The more shots in the group, the larger the group.  Started at POA and successive rounds moved up and to the right.

Barrel was touching the stock in the barrel channel.

We pulled the barrel/receiver out of the stock and removed the contact point and reinstalled the barrel/receiver.

The spot in the barrel channel was what kept the darn thing from rocking around in the stock.  It was that loose.  So loose it clunked back and forth when you shook it.

Got an acraglass bedding kit, worked in the inside of the stock out a bit more and followed the instructions.

Two days later my buddy had a Rem. M700 that would put 5 shots under a dime at 150 yds.

It was a lot of work.  We could have messed something up.  We came out pretty good though.

I guess the questions would be 1) how often will shoot more than 2 shots at a varmint or any game animal? 2) if you feel the need to improve things can you do it, or would you be paying someone else to do it (gunsmith)?
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline arthurstearl

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 05:24:17 PM »
Many years ago my buddy had a beautiful little M700 Remington in .222 Rem.

Similar issue.  The more shots in the group, the larger the group.  Started at POA and successive rounds moved up and to the right.

Barrel was touching the stock in the barrel channel.

We pulled the barrel/receiver out of the stock and removed the contact point and reinstalled the barrel/receiver.

The spot in the barrel channel was what kept the darn thing from rocking around in the stock.  It was that loose.  So loose it clunked back and forth when you shook it.

Got an acraglass bedding kit, worked in the inside of the stock out a bit more and followed the instructions.

Two days later my buddy had a Rem. M700 that would put 5 shots under a dime at 150 yds.

It was a lot of work.  We could have messed something up.  We came out pretty good though.

I guess the questions would be 1) how often will shoot more than 2 shots at a varmint or any game animal? 2) if you feel the need to improve things can you do it, or would you be paying someone else to do it (gunsmith)?
I'll do it myself

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 05:57:52 PM »
We used a kit from Brownells called Acraglas.  Good instructions and good stuff.

Good luck with it.

Oh, and if you do it, be sure to go over the metal about 3 times with the release compound, just to make sure you get some on every surface.  No way do you want to have the acraglas glue that receiver/barrel to the wood of the stock.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

anything