Author Topic: Loading high tech coating lead in .40 for a 75b  (Read 1696 times)

Offline kerncat

Re: Loading high tech coating lead in .40 for a 75b
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 09:22:40 AM »
I'm hooked on Angus Hobdell's 40 load.

Missouri 170 grain coated over 3.3 Bullseye (or N310).

Shoots lights out in my 75B .40 S&W.

Won a bullseye match first time out with it.

Just our of curiosity...has there been any work done on the 75B model 40 you are shooting?  I've heard about the "angus load" and how good it is and I'm planning on getting a sample pack of the "#2" coated bullets but my 75b is dead stock out of the box....any thoughts on work you might have had done would be appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 03:13:29 PM »
I've heard about the [40 cal] "Angus load" and how good it is and I'm planning on getting a sample pack of the "#2" coated bullets, but my 75b is dead stock out of the box....

Bite your tongue !! Angus wouldn't dare modify his CZ !  O0
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline kerncat

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 07:52:03 AM »
I've heard about the [40 cal] "Angus load" and how good it is and I'm planning on getting a sample pack of the "#2" coated bullets, but my 75b is dead stock out of the box....

Bite your tongue !! Angus wouldn't dare modify his CZ !  O0

I get the feeling I'm getting my leg pulled...Don't konw enough about Angus and the CZ Custom operation to comment but I am interested in loads thta are for dead stock CZ pistols as I'm not a tinkerer...I've had great luck with stock CZ pistols and if there is an issue it usually works itself out..so I am a little confused about the post...I'm easy to kid

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 09:19:39 AM »
I get the feeling I'm getting my leg pulled...I'm easy to kid

Don't feel bad!  It happens alot here!   ;)

Offline cdhbrad

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 04:17:05 PM »
Kern:  If there is a legal mod to a CZ that can be done.....it is probably on Angus' CZ.  That said, a properly sized reload will shoot the same in either a stock or modified gun as few, if any, of the typical modifications done to CZs affect the lock up of the barrel, chamber, of firing mechanism in a way that would keep the reload from firing in either gun.  Sure, the modified gun may have a lighter trigger pull, smoother internals, and lighter springs, but that isn't going to materially affect the accuracy of the round fired in a stock pistol vs one modified by either CZ Custom or CGW.   

Offline kerncat

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 04:34:10 PM »
Well, that may be correct..I'm not going to argue a point for which I have no reference but in the case of many years of reloading for many kinds and calibers of weapons...I have experienced many situations where a particular projectile, powder characteristic, primer type or manufacturer, etc will run better in one individual gun than the other...my thought on a particular load being called the "Angus load" would have me thinking that a great deal of testing and experimenting would have gone into load "development" that works the best in his highly modified pistol..it's hard to think that the results a particular load developed to run well in a particular gun would just run the same across the gamut of CZ 75's...maybe I've missed something along the way.  For the highly competitive world it would seem that things like seating depth..thickness of brass at the mouth for tension, primer pocket depth, flash hole diameter, etc might favor a particular pistol and might operate a slight bit differently in another..

It reminds me of a situation with my oldest Son...he is a major force in the offshore sport fishing business and he on a personal level is one of the premier sport fishermen around (not my views...his 30 plus years and successes speak for themselves)..We often get the question "so who taught you to fish?  Your Dad?  My Son's reply is always..yep...he taught me everything I know....but...he didn't teach me everything he knows"  ....we can fish the same tackle at the same time with the same bait on the same side of the boat etc, etc, etc..but there is always that little "edge"  I've lost my edge with him due to age and physical things so he's the guy with the edge now.......that was my question about the Angus load...I'd bet there is an "edge" somewhere and that might be different in different weapons.  In looking at the current (recent) thread about Federal Primers it seems that a component is much favored by many...I didn't see anything anywhere about specific primers on the "Angus load" but I'd guess there is a preference somehow..guess that was the kind of thing I was interested in in my original post.

I'm tired...need a nap....peace

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 04:40:40 PM by kerncat »

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 06:26:54 PM »
Kerncat@

Federal primers are the softest.  With your hammer-fired CZ pistols, you can lighten your trigger pull by lightening the mainspring, and anything down to a 13lb mainspring should set off any properly seated primer.  But as people go lighter than 13lb, to lets say an 11.5lb mainspring, some of your harder primers might not detonate every time, and when you go down to the 8.5lb spring, people have found that the Federal primers are the only ones 100% reliable, and that is only if they are seated properly.

So the reason you see people fawning over Federals is for their softness.  If you run a 13lb mainspring or heavier, you have no worries with any primer other than just setting it fully.

As to Angus's load being tuned to his gun, I'm sure it is, but some of your concern with not anticipating similar results -- that's one of those things that is 100% true for rifles where you're shooting hundreds of yards, so even tiny ballistic differences can play out into big differences by the time the bullet arrives at its destination, but for pistol shooting, it's not as likely to show up as clearly, if at all, for sure not with pistols of the same manufacture.  If the barrels are of the same metal and the rifling cut or pressed or forged with the same tools at the same factory, you're likely to see very similar precision from one gun to another with a particular load.  I'm not saying there's nothing to be tuned in that case.  We should definitely tune, but if Angus's load is stellar in his pistol, it's likely to be at least very good, if not equal, in every other CZ pistol with barrels of similar manufacture, within +/- .1gr of powder and +/- .010 OAL. 

I'd point to Joe L in this matter, the bullseye shooting regular in the forum.  He buys Atlanta Arms 9mm match ammo.  It's not tuned to his pistol.  And he can shoot sub-2-inch groups at 50 yards.  It's a great load that works well in just about everything.

There are standard target loads for .38 special and 9mm and .45 that seem to work with just about every pistol, that MAYBE get varied a hair.  Because it's pistol.  And we're typically shooting under 50, if not under 25.  So there's just not a lot of variation to be had at close range.  ;)  You MIGHT find a that someone's stellar load for their 75 doesn't work well in yours, but I wouldn't gamble on it. ;)

Hope you find this useful.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:09:15 PM by IDescribe »

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 09:35:01 AM »
I get the feeling I'm getting my leg pulled...

That would be a Yes, but only the right or left appendage...   O0

What ID said. So the only mods Angus could do that really affect the load is change recoil and hammer spring weights, which he probably did. So you might have to go 0.1gr more on a stock gun. Only your testing will tell.

;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:40:48 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

anything