Author Topic: Modified Shadow Hammer? UPDATED!!!!  (Read 1476 times)

Offline redlightrich

Modified Shadow Hammer? UPDATED!!!!
« on: December 04, 2017, 10:18:01 AM »
Hello all, I am looking to install a hammer, on a 75b to provide a better trigger feel than the stock one does. The creep is very long. I also want to retain the round large hole stock look.

Has anyone tried the cut down version of the Shadow hammer ( lower hooks) available from CZC? Will it fit my 75b, which I use often with my Kadet adapter? So will it fit the Kadet?

Does it make the pull more "crisp"? Does it fit?

This is the closest I can find to a stock appearing hammer. I am not trying to adhere to any rules, in regards to modified guns for competition. I just like the round hammer appearance.

Thank you

Rich
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:41:41 AM by redlightrich »

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: Modified Shadow Hammer?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 03:10:51 PM »
Yes, no,  I don't know.
I Have a Shadow hammer in my DA/SA 75b.  The shadow hammer is wider than the b hammer,  so it has to be milled to the same 75b width.  CGW (I think it was before he had a store :)). milled the hammer.The hammer really improved my b trigger.
If the hammer is fitted properly,  it should "fit" just like the stock hammer and work with the Kadet Kit.  I may have overlooked something so check with CGW and they WILL give you the correct info.
Mine has a LOT of rounds and years of use,  and still has an action to brag about.

Online Stuart

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 07:01:07 PM »
Yes. use the narrowed shadow hammer
https://czcustom.com/shadow-hammer-narrowed.html
part# 10263

Offline redlightrich

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »
Thank you. I will order that one..

Rich

Offline redlightrich

Re: Modified Shadow Hammer? UPDATED!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 11:14:37 AM »
Hello all, I ordered, and received the modded Shadow hammer. Thank you CZC. I wanted to retain factory look, but remove the creep from the trigger. Also, this modded hammer is approx 45 dollars, and appears to be available only thru CZC, which is near 25 dollars less than other "race" type hammers. If you do the work yourself, and buy a new factory sear ( needs mod for safety) you can still be in cheaper than other "performance" hammers alone.

My install consisted of a new disco, strut, and factory sear, and of course the modded Shadow hammer. I don't know if a dedicated Shadow sear is available, negating any fitting?

Install went fairly straight forward, as this was being installed in a SS, 75b.
The action has already been smoothed out, and the pistol has over 2000 rounds thru it.
The trigger return spring was swapped for a reduced power version. The mainspring was swapped for a Wolff 17#, as I use this pistol as a Kadet target pistol often. I WILL NOT use this as a carry or defensive arm ( under normal circumstances).

Prior to the swap, I had a trigger pull of 3.5-3.75# in SA. Not bad, but the creep was more than I wanted to accept.

When I received my new hammer, it was easily noticeable that the hooks were considerably lower on the Shadow hammer. Using a stock sear as a guide, the sear surface itself is taller than the Shadow hooks.  With the stock hammer, the hooks are a good amount higher than the sear.

To finish the install, I needed to remove some metal from the sear safety tang, as the safety would no longer engage. The one major difference is the "half cock" position on the new hammer raises the sear higher than the full cock position.

After fitting the sear, I am able to engage the safety in Half AND Full cock positions. Reading the manual for a Shadow, or Shadow 2, makes me think this is normal. I pondered this for a bit before I fit the sear, and I can see no way around this        ( or at least with a reasonable amount of effort) If indeed this is how a factory Shadow works, then all is well in my eyes.

After full assembly, and a light lube, I was getting a 2.5# trigger in SA, with no noticeable camming of the hammer. There is still a touch of creep, but this is a new hammer with a new sear. I would imagine some of the already minimal creep will disappear with some use. I will test the trigger again after about 1000 rounds or so.

Being the 17# Mainspring provided 100% ignition to rimfire ammo, and trigger quality is very good, I no longer seek to reduce the MS weight any further.

I will do live fire testing to prove this all out. I am hoping the hammer geometry doesn't affect the 22lr ignition quality.

The current trigger feel is night and day different from the new 75B.

So far, I feel that this is well worthwhile. Again, I would not recommend this swap if your pistol is a carry or defensive arm. I do believe it is still very safe, and DA is unaffected, but the factory 75B SA is done as an overkill to safety, which is changed a bit.
Keep in mind, the Shadow ( which is the hammer doner) is a competition oriented pistol. The 75B is not.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

Happy New Year, and be safe!!!

Rich

Offline redlightrich

Re: Modified Shadow Hammer? UPDATED!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 10:16:16 AM »
Last update. Yesterday, even though it was 8 degrees (NJ winters, yuk) , I went to the outdoor range, excited to test my new hammer/sear.

I ran it as a 22lr, and went thru 100 rounds before I couldn't feel my fingers anymore. The gun ran as expected, and 22lr ignition remained 100%.

I was impressed with the new trigger feel, and I am sure it will only get better as it breaks in.

I will call this swap a worthwhile effort!!

Happy New Year!!!

Rich