Author Topic: Lee Load Master  (Read 4071 times)

Offline mrcabinet

Re: Lee Load Master
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 12:17:10 PM »
After reading all the info provided by forum members several times, perusing virtually every post about them on the interwebs and watching a ton of Youtube videos, I went ahead and ordered a Load Master 9mm setup. Do I see a Dillon, Hornady or RCBS in my future? Yes, but that will be years down the road and long after I get my money's worth out of this.

The plan is to keep this set up for 9mm and look at .45 as the next caliber after I get very comfortable with it. I'm keeping the Classic Turret for the time being and using both as needed. I'll make another plate that matches my existing one so swapping them out on my bench won't take anything at all. I foresee loading larger quantities at one sitting instead of just what I need for the next outing.

I don't have an engineering degree but am the engineering manager for a wood products company that does $60m a year. It's owned by a very "frugal" (i.e., cheap a**) investment group, so I usually have to achieve the end results by tweaking and modifying existing equipment and processes. So, it sounds like the Load Master should be right up my alley!

And, I found a RCBS 9mm bullet feeder locally for 20 bucks, so that will just add to the tinkering.

Thanks again for all the replies!
No matter where you're going, there you are.

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 01:13:43 PM »
Lee sells a quick change bench plate #90251 it works great and only cost $25

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 01:44:29 PM »
I make my mount from scrap for $0 and use T-Nuts on the underside of the bench. With a cordless driver it takes maybe two minutes to change and is solid as a rock.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »
2 things...

? I highly advise watching all the Load Master videos on Ultimate Reloader.Com . IMHO he does the best reloading videos out there... right camera work... right loading speed... good information.

http://ultimatereloader.com/2015/03/11/lee-loadmaster-video-breaks-new-record/

? You'll be loading 4 times faster with the Load Master versus the Classic Turret. Are you sure you're ready for the avalanche of ammo coming your way ?   O0

Happy new year !
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 06:47:07 AM »
Thanks for the link, Wobbly. I believe I've watched some of his videos before but have never been to his site. Very informative!

Offline romukom

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 10:22:31 PM »
A little late but glad to help as well.  All the advice are great.  I am not sure if someone has mentioned that having a solid mount is really important specially with the way that the priming system works.  I spent about 2 1/2 hours loading 330 rounds of 9mm with my load master.  I was going slow and checking my charge every time one of the tubes of the case feeder gets emptied.

Anyway here is my reply from another forum I frequent regarding mounting the Load Master.

"My garage is very small that forces me to have my stuff in casters or hung in the walls.

My woodworker bench is from Festool MFT bench (43" x 28"). I made the roller cart to house the MFT bench, vacuum and other tools. The MFT table has holes on it so that you add stoppers, clamps, etc like a welding table.

Because the MFT bench has a attachments slide rails, it occurred to me to build a pedestal for my Loadmaster an attached into my MFT bench instead of building a dedicated bench.

The Loadmaster pedestal is made out of 2x4's and 1/2" AL plate that was leftover from a project. I made the front legs to be further out from the press to minimize flexing. At the bottom, some adjustable screw legs from Lowes. When I reload, I put a sheet of craft paper on top so that I don't loose stuff in between the MFT and the cart.
When reloading, I sit in front of the bullet seating station (7-8 o'clock as viewed in the picture) that way I have a clear view of the powder level before placing the bullet.

My MFT workbench

Loadmaster pedestal attached to workbench

Loadmaster recessed in "

By the way here is my youngest one helping loading some clean 9mm cases into the case feeder

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 12:11:46 PM »

Loadmaster pedestal attached to workbench

And IMHO, that's exactly the way to do it. A solid support directly underneath the press to end any kind of bench flexing, then attaching the support to something larger to keep the unit from swaying.

If you look at the UltimateReloader.Com videos, he uses a 3" steel tube with flat plates on each end, then bolts this to the front of his bench.

BTW... where did you find that goose neck lamp ?

;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 10:48:55 PM by Wobbly »

Offline romukom

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 07:28:08 PM »
And IMHO, that's exactly the way to do it. A solid support underneath to end flexing of any kind, then attaching the support to something larger to keep the unit from swaying.
BTW... where did you find that goose neck lamp ?

;)

Yep, it is pretty solid.  It barely moves.  To verify the press flexing, I put a torpedo level on top of the press and push the lever several  times.  I could barely see the level bubble move.  The funny thing is that I almost fell off from my stool when the ball handle came out from the lever.  Yep, it was something that everyone has warned about :)

That lamp I got it at Ikea for $10.  It comes with a metal base.  I took the base out attached the lamp on the aluminum plate.  It is so useful since I can move it around where I need it.  It is LED and it does not put that much heat.  The color output is warm (3,200 K)  perfect for me since I don't like my light to be in the cold side.  I have bee using it for the last two years with no issues.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:56:06 PM by romukom »

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 10:51:29 PM »
By the way here is my youngest one helping loading some clean 9mm cases into the case feeder

This is the world's best bullet feeder. I had one like this for a long time,

then he moved out and got married.   :-\

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 04:42:43 PM »
   Good Lord. Save Your sanity and buy a Dillon.

Offline Old Rocket

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 12:10:37 AM »
Station 1 under size decapping die
Station 2 universal flare (I use all coated bullets) prime
Station 3 Hornady lnl powder dispenser
Station 4 seating die
Station 5 taper crimp
I use this in 9 and 40 and has been great for me
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:13:34 AM by Old Rocket »
CZ 75b
CZ P09
SP 01
SP 01
TS 40
VZ2008

Offline vanman

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 12:26:40 AM »
I have been reloading on a loadmaster for a few years, and am real happy with it's performance. Haven't any experience using any other green , blue or red presses. There is a lot of good web support if needed. My advice and suggestions, no need to over tighten shell plate, snug is good enough. Use auto drum to dispense powder, hell buy two, they're cheap.Have safe fun.

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 09:57:32 AM »
I ran across this site the other day. There's some great information on there.
http://loadmastervideos.com/

So far I've loaded a couple hundred trouble free 9mm. I did take the time during assembly to smooth, buff and lubricate any parts that rubbed together, so its operation is really nice. I have it set up with universal de-prime, size/primer, powder/flare, rcbs bullet feeder then seat/crimp. I've only ran the FCD on 9mm in the past, so it is not being used in this setup now. They gauge fine, so I just have to wait for the weather to break so I can test them out.

Offline dave33

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 11:37:38 AM »
I ran across this site the other day. There's some great information on there.
http://loadmastervideos.com/

So far I've loaded a couple hundred trouble free 9mm. I did take the time during assembly to smooth, buff and lubricate any parts that rubbed together, so its operation is really nice. I have it set up with universal de-prime, size/primer, powder/flare, rcbs bullet feeder then seat/crimp. I've only ran the FCD on 9mm in the past, so it is not being used in this setup now. They gauge fine, so I just have to wait for the weather to break so I can test them out.

Glad to hear your loadmaster is working well for you.  Good idea polishing the wear points, I have found if you polish the underside of the shell plate and the ribs it rides on within the carrier it makes operation smooth as glass. If you didn't, also polish the bar the case slider rides on top and bottom.  Makes case feeding much smoother as well.

Offline mrcabinet

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 12:22:42 PM »
Already done, Dave33. Trust me, if it moves, its been hit with 800 grit and then fluffed and buffed.
Even though I run carbide dies, I found that a light spritz of One Shot on the cases before dumping them in the collator makes a world of difference too. Doing five processes at once definitely adds to the felt friction/resistance.

anything