Author Topic: Difference between decocked and half cocked ?  (Read 763 times)

Offline Chicago Dude

Difference between decocked and half cocked ?
« on: March 01, 2018, 04:23:01 PM »
I have 75B and P-01 Steel (99041), They both come with safety (without decocker), and if I am about to carry P-01, I load it, I put one in the chamber and I manually half cock it.
I also have a PCR, with decocker, and if I carry it, I load it, I put one in the chamber and I decock it.
They both look half cocked to me  :-\
Here I am, carrying it both ways and I don't know the difference between the two. I am thinking it's the same thing, but I am not sure.
Can someone explain what's the difference (if any) ?

Offline SlvrDragon50

Re: Difference between decocked and half cocked ?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 04:39:43 PM »
Decockers bring it to half cock, not fully decocked. That's why they look the same.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 04:46:08 PM »
They are both at half cock or safety notch.The only difference is the decocker drops to safety notch automatically and you have to manually lower the safety model gun. By the way they are both safe to carry hammer at rest due to having firing pin block safeties.

Offline Chicago Dude

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 02:10:14 PM »
Thank you guys !!

Offline Rcher

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 03:48:18 PM »
Good topic!

Is it safe to do full decock manually? Not saying half-decock is bad, but just asking.
I used to decock my Sarsilmaz Mega manually when I test DA on range. I do full decock, and if I'm not mistaken my Beretta 92fs does full decock automatically when safety is on.

(off topic) I found interesting that both Sar Mega and Beretta 92 have "reverted safety" comparing with CZ, 1911, etc... Some people complain about it. But for me who is new to guns it's convenient - both my guns act the same :) If I buy gun for carry, I'd probably consider decocker only (PCR or P-01 Omega convertible).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 03:52:51 PM by Rcher »

Offline copemech

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 12:32:25 AM »
Ask Bruce Jenner or whatshername :-*

Offline luvmyversys

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 08:50:33 AM »
I found this an interesting topic. I always wondered about the difference too. I couldn't help but chuckle at the last reply-comment.  "Ask Bruce Jenner or what's her name." Lol

Online M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 02:18:19 PM »
I buy/carry only the safety models, so all mine act the same - like my 1911's I carried for so many years (my first semi auto handgun).  They are carried cocked/locked.

When I was in the US Army I was on the battalion pistol team the only year we had one (where I first shot the 1911 and learned to like it so well.)  However, for the matches we were required to do something strange (for the design).  I eventually came to believe it was pretty stupid to carry it that way and did not carry my own like that.

We'd racked the slide to the rear and locked it back with the slide catch/release lever.
We'd inserted a five round magazine into the pistol far enough to have it lock in place.
We'd pointed the pistol downwards to the ground at about a 45 degree angle.
We'd used the slide release to let the slide move forward and chamber the top round in the magazine (at that point we were holding a loaded, cocked/locked 1911A1 with the safety in the fire position.)
We'd insert the left thumb between the hammer and the rear of the slide and squeeze the trigger to make the hammer fall on the side of the thumb.
We'd take our finger off the trigger and remove our thumb from in front of the hammer, which was on the half cock notch by then.
We'd keep the pistol pointing towards the ground at a 45 degree angle and hold it that way till we heard the command (it's been over 30 years but I think it was READY).
When the proper command was given we were allowed to raise the pistol, thumb cock the hammer, put it on safe and wait for the FIRE command before slipping the hammer back to fire and beginning the stage of fire.

I decided I'd rather not go to combat with someone who'd carry a 1911 around with only 5 rounds in it and the pistol on half cock inserted into their holster.

Not all pistols with decocking levers function like the CZ (whether the BD models or the Omega with decockers installed).  My Browning BDM is designed so that the decocking lever drops the hammer from full cock to half cock and DISENGAGES the hammer linkage from the trigger.  The pistol is decocked and on SAFE.  You have to raise the levers back up fully to again allow the trigger to make the hammer cock/release when the trigger is pulled.  I didn't care for that either.  It's in the safe (the darn levers move the opposite of the 1911/CZ's, too.  Up is FIRE, down is SAFE.)

Not sure if other decocker pistols work like the BDM or not.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Chicago Dude

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 03:05:45 PM »
To M1A4ME :

Funny that you mentioned, but that is exactly how I go about D cocking procedure. With my thumb.

Online M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 03:45:04 PM »
It works.  A 1911 ain't DA/SA like the CZ's so I'd never carry one like that.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

anything