Author Topic: Loading the gun in safe mode  (Read 1032 times)

Offline JackF

Loading the gun in safe mode
« on: January 04, 2018, 01:07:17 PM »
Might be a dumb question but, whats the reasoning for having to be in fire mode to load the gun and not safe?

Offline Buckshot Barry

Re: Loading the gun in safe mode
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 01:32:09 PM »
The way the trigger group is designed you can not cycle the bolt if the hammer is down and the safety is on

This is a huge mental deal for me when shooting competitively and the stage requires the firearm to be hammer down / safety on and no magazine at the sound of the beep.

Offline JackF

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 02:23:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply

Offline Obiwan

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 07:34:45 PM »
That doesn't mean you can't load it safely. I always do this:
1) No magazine, charge it (hammer cocked).
2) Engage safety.
3) Insert magazine.
4) Charge it again to load a round into the chamber.

Offline Matt101

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 08:25:29 PM »
2) Engage safety.
3) Insert magazine.
Unnecessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Matt101

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 08:25:52 PM »
The way the trigger group is designed you can not cycle the bolt if the hammer is down and the safety is on

This is a huge mental deal for me when shooting competitively and the stage requires the firearm to be hammer down / safety on and no magazine at the sound of the beep.
What comp requires that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Buckshot Barry

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 09:59:07 PM »
Out of my 4 matches shooting USPSA PCC,  I've only had to do that on one stage. So not very often I guess.

The worse part is I kinda new that was the way a Scorpion worked, but wasn't able to verify it until everything was staged and the beeper went off.

I've shot competitively for 15 years, just not USPSA. I wasn't sure if my carbine could be dry fired at the Safe Table at the time so I went to the line with doubts in my head.

Offline HeavyDuty

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 11:34:26 AM »
2) Engage safety.
3) Insert magazine.

Thank you for posting this.  I am new to the EVO, and this bothered me since I’m used to my AR safeties always being on throughout the loading process.  I didn’t think of this method.

Offline GearFondler

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 04:48:32 PM »
2) Engage safety.
3) Insert magazine.
Or you can lock the bolt back when you charge it, engage Safety, insert mag, slap charging handle.

Offline Destructo6

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 02:23:03 PM »
I am new to the EVO, and this bothered me since I’m used to my AR safeties always being on throughout the loading process.  I didn’t think of this method.
I don't understand this.

With an AR, you can not apply the safety with the hammer decocked (forward).

With the Scorpion, you can apply the safety with the hammer decocked, but cannot then cycle the action.

So, in either case, why would you want to decock the gun, apply the safety, then load?

Wouldn't it be best to keep the hammer cocked and safety on, whether you are loading, reloading, or unloading?

Offline HeavyDuty

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 08:14:05 PM »
I am new to the EVO, and this bothered me since I’m used to my AR safeties always being on throughout the loading process.  I didn’t think of this method.
I don't understand this.

With an AR, you can not apply the safety with the hammer decocked (forward).

With the Scorpion, you can apply the safety with the hammer decocked, but cannot then cycle the action.

So, in either case, why would you want to decock the gun, apply the safety, then load?

Wouldn't it be best to keep the hammer cocked and safety on, whether you are loading, reloading, or unloading?

I think another poster mentioned decocked, I didn’t say that. I leave my unloaded ARs cocked with safety on until they go into the safe. It’s good to see I can do the exact same thing with the Evo.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 08:42:03 AM by HeavyDuty, Reason: Clarify »

Offline bravo5two

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 07:21:31 AM »

You're correct, with the Scorpion EVO, you can have bolt forward and pull the trigger to let hammer down, engage the safety.  However,  safety must be disengaged before the bolt can be racked to cock the hammer.

AR style can't have hammer down/safety on so stage RO just have to accept the fact that it is not going to happen.

Offline cocowheats

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 03:03:23 PM »

You're correct, with the Scorpion EVO, you can have bolt forward and pull the trigger to let hammer down, engage the safety.  However,  safety must be disengaged before the bolt can be racked to cock the hammer.

AR style can't have hammer down/safety on so stage RO just have to accept the fact that it is not going to happen.

Depends on the FCG in the AR. Mil-Spec patterned FCGs most typically won't allow you to engage the safety with the hammer forward but there are FCGs that will.

My Elftmann triggers allow me to activate the safety on my AR with the hammer forward. I really like this ability. Other FCGs will also allow this, but obviously not all of them.

anything