Author Topic: Tanfoglio Compact Steel Witness in .45ACP  (Read 840 times)

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
Tanfoglio Compact Steel Witness in .45ACP
« on: January 04, 2018, 10:51:40 PM »
I just picked up my second CZ clone and am very impressed! I hadn't seen one in the store but wanted the compact frame in .45, so took a chance. I really like the color of the 'wonder finish' and it's a good application too. Does not look like it's painted on.

It is within 1-3 mm of my P-06 in the dimensions I just checked and fits my hand like a CZ with one small exception, the pinky curve is a bit shorter or snugger than the P-06, but with the heavier slugs that might be a good thing for back on target speed. I didn't make it to the range in time to check it out this evening but will tomorrow. I'll post updates on shooting impressions afterwards.

The sights aren't what I'd hoped, the front is a milled part of the slide (like Beretta) and small enough it doesn't look like a drill and mill could be used for fiber rod insertion, but so it goes. The rear sight is rather like the PCR so I don't know if other sites will be found for it - I do prefer adjustable but this one is not other than two set screws that maybe allows it to shift left-right. No elevation though. I did get it for PD and not a range toy so I'll cope.

The only other thing that nags me so far is the back corner of the sole supplied magazine has sharp corners that dig into the meat of my palm. That's going to get rounded off before shooting lest it punctures me! I just ordered more mags from CDNN as they have them in stock. Mag looks like Mec Gar quality, it locks the slide back as expected, and the mag catch slot is on both sides so perhaps the mag catch is reversible for lefties? I don't need to try it so won't know, but at least the mags are compatible. The safety is only on the left side.

The hammer does have a half-cocked position. The safety engages whether hammer is dropped, half cocked, or cocked. Safety prevents trigger pull in all 3 positions as well as hammer movement. Trigger guard is rounded, no serrations on front strap and there's ample room for light gloves too, which is nice for frigid Minnesota.

Hammer is wider than the P-06 so I don't think Cajun parts will fit, but it's a smooth breaking Single action, and heavier than any other handgun I have in double action. Might be trying a lighter hammer spring if it bugs me too much, but the whole action is smoother than my stainless 75B was from the factory (that did get Cajun goodness applied).

Nice machining and finish inside and out! Barrel and slide lock up with very limited wiggle so I expect good accuracy. It is a faithful copy of the CZ's I've seen but I do not know if seer cage parts or fire control parts are interchangeable. Given the price of CZs, if you're not shopping for a .45 in compact, I'd just get a CZ, but for .45 in a compact CZ style frame, this is a really good offering.

This fits my Alien Gear for P-01 better than the P-06 does so I'm glad for that.

Hope this helps you make your decision. I really don't know why I waited so long to get this one, but I'm now glad that I did. We'll see how my hand feels after a couple hundred rounds tomorrow!
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: Tanfoglio Compact Steel Witness in .45ACP
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 03:21:26 AM »
Congratulations and may it serve you well!  8)  :)

I've been really happy with both of my full size .45 Witnesses!  :)
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline ZardozCZ

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 09:07:24 AM »
I just picked up my second CZ clone and am very impressed! I hadn't seen one in the store but wanted the compact frame in .45, so took a chance. I really like the color of the 'wonder finish' and it's a good application too. Does not look like it's painted on.

It is within 1-3 mm of my P-06 in the dimensions I just checked and fits my hand like a CZ with one small exception, the pinky curve is a bit shorter or snugger than the P-06, but with the heavier slugs that might be a good thing for back on target speed. I didn't make it to the range in time to check it out this evening but will tomorrow. I'll post updates on shooting impressions afterwards.

The sights aren't what I'd hoped, the front is a milled part of the slide (like Beretta) and small enough it doesn't look like a drill and mill could be used for fiber rod insertion, but so it goes. The rear sight is rather like the PCR so I don't know if other sites will be found for it - I do prefer adjustable but this one is not other than two set screws that maybe allows it to shift left-right. No elevation though. I did get it for PD and not a range toy so I'll cope.

The only other thing that nags me so far is the back corner of the sole supplied magazine has sharp corners that dig into the meat of my palm. That's going to get rounded off before shooting lest it punctures me! I just ordered more mags from CDNN as they have them in stock. Mag looks like Mec Gar quality, it locks the slide back as expected, and the mag catch slot is on both sides so perhaps the mag catch is reversible for lefties? I don't need to try it so won't know, but at least the mags are compatible. The safety is only on the left side.

The hammer does have a half-cocked position. The safety engages whether hammer is dropped, half cocked, or cocked. Safety prevents trigger pull in all 3 positions as well as hammer movement. Trigger guard is rounded, no serrations on front strap and there's ample room for light gloves too, which is nice for frigid Minnesota.

Hammer is wider than the P-06 so I don't think Cajun parts will fit, but it's a smooth breaking Single action, and heavier than any other handgun I have in double action. Might be trying a lighter hammer spring if it bugs me too much, but the whole action is smoother than my stainless 75B was from the factory (that did get Cajun goodness applied).

Nice machining and finish inside and out! Barrel and slide lock up with very limited wiggle so I expect good accuracy. It is a faithful copy of the CZ's I've seen but I do not know if seer cage parts or fire control parts are interchangeable. Given the price of CZs, if you're not shopping for a .45 in compact, I'd just get a CZ, but for .45 in a compact CZ style frame, this is a really good offering.

This fits my Alien Gear for P-01 better than the P-06 does so I'm glad for that.

Hope this helps you make your decision. I really don't know why I waited so long to get this one, but I'm now glad that I did. We'll see how my hand feels after a couple hundred rounds tomorrow!

I only had time to shoot ~50. My soft load semi wad cutters didn't feed well but everything else ran smoothly. The weight of the pistol helps manage the recoil of hot defense loads so I'm pleased.

The sight dots are smallish for old eyes. Sights are dead on L-R and shoots 2-3" low at 25' with 6 o'clock hold and 1-2" low with dot on bull. I'll be looking into an adjustable rear site for this and I'm thinking about using a slightly larger drill to form a larger dimple in the front sight.

The wonder finish is slick, and in combo with sturdy recoil springs it can be difficult to get a good grip for racking the slide. I'll be applying grit tape until the spring soften.

It's a good shooter, but I'm a bit more accurate with my SAR K2 45. I haven't shot much this past year and it shows. Time to hit the range more often! This Witness is a welcome addition to my meager collection.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline Barebow

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 03:35:30 PM »
I picked mine up on a consignment deal at a local shop about a year ago.  I did not find any Mec-Gar magazines for the 8rd compact. MidwayUSA did have some EAA Compact mags to fit the large frame. I know I saw a thread on an adjustable rear sight. I will try to dig it up. 

Offline ZardozCZ

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 06:41:57 AM »
Thanks! CDNN has exact Tanfoglio mags for this pistol, I received them yesterday and they are the same as the one supplied with the pistol. Midway confused me with "large frame". I'm unfamiliar with Tanfoglio so wasn't certain if there are large and small frame compacts or if they were referring to full size (non-compact) Witnesses. CDNN was clear so they got my order.

Will be ordering a rear LPA sight from Crosman later today, to get the vertical adjustment my pistol needs.
Aboriginal Proverb

anything