Author Topic: anyone own a SA/DA AND a S/A only?  (Read 445 times)

Offline redlightrich

anyone own a SA/DA AND a S/A only?
« on: January 05, 2018, 09:25:49 AM »
Hello all, when I bring my SA/DA hammer to full cock, the trigger's static position moves rearward. I thought ( could be wrong) that the disco was pulling on the trigger bar as the hammer moves rearward.

All my CZ's are SA/DA so I have no point of reference.

On a S/A only ( where no disco is present) does the trigger stay in it's forward position even after cocking the hammer?

Is there any adjustment on a S/A trigger (factory set up)  to move the static position rearward ( pre-travel)? I would think that without this, or a reshaped trigger near the pivot point, the pre-travel would be excessive.

I am in the process of setting up a target only gun, and was simply pondering this.

Thank you for your help

Rich

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: anyone own a SA/DA AND a S/A only?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 09:50:22 AM »
On both of mine it does (stays fixed in position).

The CZ 75 SA I bought about a year back had two threaded holes in it, but only one adjustment screw, the one for overtravel after the sear releases the hammer.  Not sure why they drill and tap a hole to limit the forward travel and then not put a screw in it.

On the straight SA triggers (bought two) we got from CZ USA, there are two screws.  The one that limits overtravel after the sear releases the hammer and the one that limits forward travel after sear reset.  CZ Custom sometimes has the flat trigger, but it was out of stock at the time.

On the CZ 75 SA there were no issues installing that trigger in place of the factory trigger (factory trigger isn't straight, it has a forward crook to it near the bottom).  On the CZ 75 Compact I installed the other SA trigger in I had to remove some metal from the front of the trigger (up inside the frame where you can't see it) because the trigger was contacting the frame before the firing pin block safety lifting arm was moving back into proper position.  That pistol acted normal/correct, until you tried to fire it and then it was just a click as the hammer fell as the lifting arm was out of position/not under the firing pin block and the block was not being raised to allow the firing pin to travel forward and strike the primer.

Once I removed that small amount of metal from the front of the trigger I found I could use the forward travel set screw to adjust the trigger for movement in that direction.  Had I taken the firing pin block safety out of the slide and installed the spacer on the sear pin there would have been no issues and the trigger could have been set up for even less forward travel after sear reset - but I elected to keep the firing pin block installed on the Compact. 

I used blue loctite and degreased the threads on the trigger holes and the screws before setting them.

Good luck.

Edited to add - my other SAO pistol is the TS .40 S&W.  It was used when I bought it and came to me with the straight trigger and all the adjustments already made.  The CZ 75 SA now belongs to my youngest son and is a range only pistol and he elected to remove the firing pin block safety when we installed a bunch of CGW parts a few months ago.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:53:37 AM by M1A4ME »
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline redlightrich

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 08:17:38 AM »
M1A, thank you for your thorough and informative answer.

That is exactly the info that I have been seeking. I am in the midst of a few CZ projects here, and when complete, these will be range only pistols. I do like the SA/DA feature on a defensive arm, but I have a PCR that can fill that role.
Currently, I have a 75b in stainless, that I shoot 22 with, and that will become a SA range only gun, after a few mods.

2nd is my SP-01 with the new Shadow top end I just purchased.

I think I may like working on them almost as much as I like shooting them.

I also like the idea that all my mods are reversible.

Again M1A, thank you for your terrific info and help!!

Rich

Offline ccrbum

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 08:18:48 AM »
My 75 Shadow SA only has one adjustment screw in the trigger and I honestly don't use it. Cajun makes a decent flat SA trigger that has 2 adjustment screws I think. One nice thing my with shadow is no firing pin block in the slide :)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 12:29:41 PM »
You really don't need the set screws.  But, if you're going to pay for a straight trigger and tear the pistol down to install it, why not use the screws?

Read the instructions, get some advice.  You don't want to have a trigger that moves "enough" one time, but not the next, even with a range pistol.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

anything