Author Topic: Federal Primers  (Read 722 times)

Offline dave33

Re: Federal Primers
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 09:37:54 AM »
Aren't Federal the ones who use 3X bigger packaging than everone else? I can't stand those boxes.

But the trays make really nice miniature ice cubes.    ;D

That's pretty funny.

True story, when I first learned how to reload I went to a local store to get some components.  Saw the huge box of 1000 Federal primers sitting beside the much smaller box of CCI primers and automatically grabbed the CCI's.  Totally turned off by the huge packaging.  I wonder how much business they are missing due to their packaging choices.

Fast forward a few years and I learned how Federals are great with softly sprung guns, which is what I'm mostly shooting, and I learned to live with the big boxes.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 11:26:43 AM »
My powder scale sets on a level shelf above my press.  It never gets moved.
To protect it I built a "Scale Garage" with a tip open front door/wall. :)

When making it,  I wanted more light " inside the barn".  I found those Federal Primer Ice Cube Trays were translucent.  I built both ends of the Powder Scale Garage out of those sturdy Fed  "WINDOWS". ;D O0

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 01:44:14 PM »
True story, when I first learned how to reload I went to a local store to get some components.  Saw the huge box of 1000 Federal primers sitting beside the much smaller box of CCI primers and automatically grabbed the CCI's.  Totally turned off by the huge packaging.  I wonder how much business they are missing due to their packaging choices.

Almost all modern products undergo testing to insure the product will arrive intact and in working condition. Product handling and shipping are some of the worst vibration and shocks the product will ever see. It wouldn't help anyone if a primer set off by shock ignited the entire pack of 100, or worse yet the entire carton of 1000 !! So the large packaging Federal uses is probably a direct result of the sensitivity of their primers. You simply can't have one without the other.  :o

They probably know which of their products is the most sensitive to damage (large magnum pistol ?), and then design all the remainder of their packaging around that size carton so that one machine can do all their packing. So by default, the small primers are "over protected" and inherit a larger package than actually needed.

Transportation testing is typically done on a "shaker table" which is an electrically controlled and programed table that runs the product through a scan of various frequencies and intensities as prescribed by the agency in charge. When the "natural frequency" of the product or package is discovered, the product can self-destruct within seconds. Here's a common package test being run by UPS to test how various boxes standup to stacking...

Furthermore, if a product is to be sold into a known earthquake zone, many times it must undergo additional  seismic testing. You can't have a neighborhood survive an earthquake only to be burned down by a carton of primers ! And many products like phones and telephone equipment must work immediately after the earthquake in order to bring the necessary first responders.

When I worked on telephone equipment, we would take entire racks of equipment to Wyle Labs in Anniston, AL where it would be wired up and tested. The equipment not only had to stay together (see video below) but be in working condition and ready for calls immediately after a simulated worst case earthquake. Wyle had a 30 foot diameter vibration table which had been installed to test the sections of the Saturn 5 rocket in preparation for the moon mission. In the various YouTube videos it doesn't look like these vibration tables are doing that much at 24 frames a second, but you cannot fathom the amount of energy being unleashed. Standing on the table during a test would break both your legs ! We were also severely warned not to leave wrenches or fasteners loose on the table during the test, least they fly 20 feet and kill someone. And sure enough the control room windows all had cracks in their safety glass.

At the basic level for electronics, here's a video that demonstrates how a great looking circuit board assembly can simply fly apart (around 1:30) when these levels of energy are applied at the natural frequency.

For a person who really like to destroy stuff, these are great jobs !

;)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:40:18 PM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Offline painter

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 01:57:46 PM »
I notice the deliberate attempts by the package handlers to destroy any, and all, attempts at effective packaging were not studied. O0
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 02:38:23 PM »
And people wonder why and how their box of bullets burst open during shipping ! Those shipping tests simply compress a 3 day trip across the US into 5 minutes... complete with being tossed around in sorting facilities, "short cuts" down dirt roads, and flying over speed bumps.

You don't really think UPS or FedEx guys slow down for speed bumps did you ?  O0
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 03:45:32 PM »
Best delivery I ever got from UPS....
My dog used to really like the UPS guy when he showed up at our place in rural Iowa.
Rocky, my dog, got to know the UPS guy, I was working out of my home and got deliveries daily.
I left once for a Elk Hunt in Montana and when I came home my wife said Rocky had left and been gone for 4 days.
I looked all over for him, He was an English Springer, a great dog and he could hunt Pheasants like a champ.

One day the UPS truck rolls into the yard and Mike, The guy in brown gets out and says "Here Rocky"
he said he had notice someone a few miles away had a dog that looked exactly like Rocky. He then got a delivery there and Rocky came up to him and licked his hand and nudged him for a head scratching. He asked the people where they got the dog and they said he strolled up to their house on evening and they took him in. He told them his name was Rocky and that he knew where he belonged....he called him over and had him sit and they said to bring him back.

So he brought us back Rocky.....it was awesome.

We forgave him for packages that were a little crushed at times.

RCG

........Its that you shoot!

Offline painter

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 06:02:31 PM »
Great story RCG!
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.