Author Topic: msr 7.62x39 owners just a reminder  (Read 842 times)

skin

msr 7.62x39 owners just a reminder
« on: January 12, 2018, 08:50:24 AM »
 If you have a ar15 type rifle and shoot  corrosive ammo, you must clean the barrel and the BOLT CARRIER GROUP.  A friend stopped by and had cycling problems. Took it apart and noticed fine rust in the bcg. Took it apart and cleaned the rust out. Worked like a champ. Some ammo is advertised as non corrosive, but actually is corrosive.

Offline MadDuner

Re: msr 7.62x39 owners just a reminder
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 09:46:35 AM »
My 5.45x39 shoots Russian ammo, some of which is clearly corrosive.  That thing gets stripped down and doused with cleaner before I drive home after shooting it at the range.  Every weapon I own gets cleaned right after being used anyway, so I just get a jump on it with that one.

Offline GeneticallySwiss

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 11:46:05 AM »
With some of the Russian ammo it is the primers that are corrosive.  Regardless, if you are diligent like MadDuner, you?re GTG.

GS
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

- Douglas Bader -

Offline texasmojo

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 01:15:55 AM »
I run the bore snake at the range then do a good detailed cleaning when I get home.

Ron M.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 09:48:52 AM »
I keep a spray bottle of ammonia and water in my range kit. Flush the bore and wash off the bolt before I leave the range. Ammonia neutralizes, dissolves, and washes out the corrosive salts deposited by corrosive primer ammo. Some folks use Windex with ammonia to do the same thing.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 01:57:05 PM »
A chrome lined, or nitrided, barrel helps.  A chrome/nitrided bolt/carrier helps.  You still don't want to leave it sit too long if you live in an area with much humidity.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline cammobunker

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 10:35:39 AM »
OK, I'm a long time shooter of corrosive ammo, and I'm here to give you the straight dope on this stuff. Yeah, some of the Russian stuff is corrosively primed. Typically this is older stuff, but Russians being Russians, they are not above slipping corrosive primers in on us sometimes. If you get 7.62X39 from any surplus source assume it's corrosive.
Now, clean up. I've heard a lot of people swear that ammonia is a neutralizing agent for corrosive ammo. It's not. Ammonia does nothing-it's unnecessary. What does the work is the water. Glass cleaner is mostly water. Water, you say? Horse apples, you say? Nope, and I'll tell you why. What makes the primers corrosive are the salts the leave behind. These salts need to be removed (not neutralized, removed) to prevent corrosion. I've cleaned many, many guns with nothing more complex than hot water. I mean really hot, OK, like from the stove just below boiling hot. Simply pour down bore using a funnel. But the water! It'll make it rust! No, it won't. Boiling or near boiling water will heat the metal to the point where the water evaporates. You scrub the bore with a brush and heated water to remove the salts from corrosive priming, then clean and lubricate as normal. This gets more complex with the AR15 platform, I get that, but most modern cleaning solvents will not remove corrosive salts from this type of ammo. Yeah, Hoppes too- they made them remove that part of the formula, it's bad for the environment. Us old guys know it smells different now than it used to, and that's why. Hope this helps guys.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 10:58:42 AM »
Glad I still have some of the old-skool Hoppes left.... but that'll be used up soon enough.