Author Topic: Went to the range today, good and bad  (Read 1056 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Went to the range today, good and bad
« on: January 12, 2018, 08:45:33 PM »
Well, it was pretty warm today, with some rain.  I thought it would be a good day to go to the range since it's going to be awhile before it's this warm again.

Wanted to shoot:

AR15 (wife's) to replace the Lucid red dot with one of the new Primary Arms red dots (the one with the multi-year battery life, etc. and sight it in.

AR15 (last one I put together) to replace the Aimpoint red dot with a 1X4 Bushnell AR scope.

The P09 9MM.

The SP01 Compact converted to SAO.

The CZ75 Compact with the DP Pro (my wife's pistol - she went with me today).

The TS .40 S&W with those loads that had some walnut shell media in the primer flash holes.

The pistol range is sort of down in a hole.  Absolutely no breeze, summer or winter.  Humid, warm, between the rain and me starting to sweat my glasses were fogging up so quickly I was only getting off 3, sometimes 4 shots before I had to wipe them off or change glasses.  Then it would repeat.  Three times per 10 shot group.  Man, that was frustrating. 

Then it started raining.  Even more humid, even shorter time period the glasses were usable.

My wife shot her Compact with some 125 grain LRN reloads.  She was doing okay with it.  Then some 147 grain coated lead bullets.  The 125's shot better groups for her, in her pistol.  At the end of shooting her pistol, she started shooting some of the 115 grain PD hollow points I load with Blue Dot powder (same thing I shoot in all the 9MM CZ's).  Man was she unhappy.  BIG group.  My first thought was the DP Pro had come loose.  I took it, aimed at a bullet hole in the cardboard backer off to the left of the target/paper and put two holes about 2" low/left and within a 1/2 to 3/4 inch of each other.  Maybe I should have shot more, but I think (and told her) it was just the recoil shaking her up.  Those Blue Dot loads are loud, have some definate muzzle blast and recoil as compared to the LRN/coated lead reloads.

I was going to let her shoot the P09 and could not find a magazine for it.  I was pretty sure I'd put a couple in the bag this morning at the house but couldn't find them at the range.  Darn.

Then, I may have made a mistake.  I loaded 5 rounds of the 140 grain coated lead bullets with 6.5 grains of Herco.  I warned her about the trigger.  Told her to keep her finger off it till she figured she was ready to pull the trigger (I should have had her dry fire it a few times first).  She got it lined up and let the first one go just up above the black.  I expected her to look at me and blame the trigger.  Then the next four tore a ragged hole about 3" below that first one.  Now she likes the TS .40 S&W.  Every time I let her shoot a gun that shoots really good groups, she wants it.

Her gun shoots good groups.  She's got that last target from the first range session in her sock drawer. 

I gave up, foggy glasses and rain.  We didn't even shoot the AR15's.  On the way out I looked over on the 25 yd. range where a guy was shooting his M1A.  He walked off and left 3 boxes of Winchester .308 brass in the dirt by the end of the concrete.  Yes, I had to stop and pick it up.  Once fired .308 brass.  Couldn't pass it up.  Also picked up a nice little back of a couple hundred 9MM brass, a few .45 acps and .40 S&W pieces.

Got home, ate lunch/dinner, took the dogs out for some exercise and took everything out of the bags/cases to get dried off prior to cleaning them.  Sure enough, found the P09 9MM magazines in the bag.  The up side is one less pistol to be cleaned, bbut I really did want to let her shoot it.

Took a bit to get the guns cleaned.  Came home, the wife started cleaning the house and I cleaned the pistols.  You know what?  I was glad I didn't have a couple other pistols and the two AR15's to clean.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Scarlett Pistol

Re: Went to the range today, good and bad
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 09:27:27 PM »
Sounds like the type of day I had a few trips back where I just scrounged a ton of brass to feel better about the trip...
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 04:33:38 AM »
A bad day at the range can beat a good day at work. :)
Can you send some of that rain down here? :P

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 08:30:12 AM »
Oh, forgot to add that I changed out the battery in my wife's DP Pro on her CZ 75 Compact.  I took the battery to the range to change it before we came home.  By that time my glasses were in such shape that I couldn't see/feel/operate the darn battery door latch.  Finally gave up and came home.

Changed it out on the kitchen table when I was cleaning her pistol.  That battery has been in the sight since November or December last year if I remember correctlly.  It doesn't get carried, or shot, much.  It does get put in the car/truck once a month for a 4 to 5 hour drive when we go home and then another 4 or 5 hour drive when we come back to VA.  I would think the thing stays on the whole ride between bumps/bounces and run time before shutting down hits another bump/bounce. 

I don't know if there's enough vibration in the floor from me walking across the bedroom floor to turn the light on or not.  I do know that if I grab it to pull it out of it's hidey hole, the dot is on when I look through the sight.

So far, I can't complain about battery life in a DP Pro.  And, I don't have to pull the sight off the pistol, change the battery, reinstall it on the pistol and then go sight it in again.

Edited to add - while cleaning the TS .40 S&W I noticed the extractor pin sticking down from the slide some.  I easily pushed it back up flush with the bottom of the slide.  I guess I'll be ordering a new extractor pin.  If that doesn't tighten things up what's the "plan" for securing that pin in place?  Some type of loctite might work, not sure really.  I was wondering about driving the pin up enough to have it below the surface of the slide and then using a small punch to "shrink" the size of the extractor pin hole in the bottom of the slide.  Not much.  Just enough to insure the loose pin stays in place.

Now, to order the pin, a spare and some more small parts to make the shipping worth the parts and time.  Christmas in January, even if I never have to use most of them.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:38:47 AM by M1A4ME »
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline mossy oak

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 10:36:54 AM »
It's always nice to get that little extra bonus when going to the range.  I work for a buddy of mine one day a week that owns an indoor range so I've been shooting more lately.  So the days I work I'll come home with extra brass, about a quart baggie full, also gives me something to do sorting through it.  I'm shooting mostly 9 and 40 and have acquired a good bit. 

Joe

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 02:05:37 PM »
I do my best to never turn down free brass.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 09:46:40 PM »
If the pin drifts out, rough it up on the outside with a file, then Loctite it and push it back in.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 10:08:53 PM »
If notice it (should I say when I notice it) again, I'll give that a try.

anything