Author Topic: Defensive carry hammer options  (Read 1220 times)

Offline RoscoeD

Defensive carry hammer options
« on: January 14, 2018, 03:22:57 AM »
Just dropped my PCR off with UPS for the trip to Louisiana.  Because I'm heading out of town tomorrow I couldn't wait for the answer to my question before I shipped it (given the ship-within-two-week requirement); I'll have to contact them later with my preference. 

That said...the description of the Defensive Carry Package offers multiple hammer options: CGW Race or Ring Hammer, Stainless-Steel Race or Ring Hammer, Custom cut Shadow hammer, or the CZC competition hammer.  However, nowhere on the site do they describe the differences or the pros/cons of each. Only thing I know is I don't want a stainless model.

This is to be my daily carry...which would be appropriate?  And why?

I also requested bushing and night sight upgrade.  The mod is gonna cost me well more than the gun did  8)
Roscoe
USAF (retired)
Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!
Sig P225 | M11-A1 | P320C [9mm] | P229C SAS [.40] | Colt 1911 | Springfield Range Officer Compact 1911 | CZ 75 D PCR
Springfield M1 Garand | Winchester 1894 Carbine | S&W M&P15 Sport II

Offline ernie_h

Re: Defensive carry hammer options
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 08:13:41 AM »
Race vs ring on a carry gun comes up every so often. Some prefer one over the other. One reason sometimes cited for a preference of ring over race is the corner/edge on the race hammer and potential to snag; for others, it's does not appear to be an issue. Functionally, AFAIK, there's really no difference in either CGW version. I have both on carry guns......though I have a slight preference for the ring, I have not had any particular issue with the race. YMMV.

Online Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 08:54:53 AM »
Regarding the CGW hammers, the race hammer is a little better for manipulation if the rear sight hangs off the back of the slide. That's the only difference between those two. Both of them will have a slightly crisper and heavier break then the CZC Comp hammer. All three are great hammers. I have both race and comp hammers and slightly prefer the break of the race hammer. That said, the difference isn't very noticable unless your comparing side by side in dry fire. 

Offline fastlane604

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:45:35 PM »
If it were mine I would go with the ring hammer.  According to the CGW website it is the race hammer with a ring spur. I like the race hammer break. I have one on an SP-01. Very crisp. Crisper than a Shadow hammer I have on 75 SA Shadow. I also had it on a P-01. On the P-01 the sharp end of the race hammer gave me hammer bite. The PCR and P-01 beavertail look the same in the CZUSA catalog. Now, all hands are different and the sharp edge may not bother you. But if I get the same break without the bite, I'm going without the bite.

Offline clinttho

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 06:29:00 AM »
I’ve carried the black race cut hammer by CGW on my Phantom -I wear OWB so don’t need to worry about the hammer corner catching but it is safe, at least so far, and offers a better break than the ring hammer from what I’ve read.

Plus I have EzD sights on it so hand cocking it is easier than with a ring style hammer. The PCR also has a decocker yeah?  I would def use the edged hammer. Better looks, too.

Offline delphidoc

• Larry
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 11:25:21 PM »
I feel safer manually decocking with the race hammer.
When the knock on the door said “Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms,” naturally I thought it was a delivery…

Offline RoscoeD

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 04:58:53 PM »
I feel safer manually decocking with the race hammer.
The PCR has a decoder so that is not a factor...
Roscoe
USAF (retired)
Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!
Sig P225 | M11-A1 | P320C [9mm] | P229C SAS [.40] | Colt 1911 | Springfield Range Officer Compact 1911 | CZ 75 D PCR
Springfield M1 Garand | Winchester 1894 Carbine | S&W M&P15 Sport II

Offline XTrooper

• XTrooper's Web Site
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 04:54:21 PM »
I have no experience with the other options so I can't speak regarding them, but I can tell you that I have a lot of experience and am completely satisfied with the CGW race hammer. I like the look, ease of manipulation, and fantastic break offered by it. All that said, I can't imagine the difference between the various options having any real effect on your shooting performance. Pick the one you like best and don't look back.   8)
Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/1991)
NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor
Life Member: VFW, VVA, NRA Benefactor

anything