Author Topic: Loading coated bullets  (Read 2066 times)

Offline Zigzag

Re: Loading coated bullets
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 10:21:57 AM »
Thanks to all for their help. I had loaded most of these before I bought my CZ and had no trouble with my beretta 92 but with the diagrams and all I will be going back to .355 from here on.i do record everything in my loading log but didn't have access to it in the last post and the few I shot and had trouble with were seated too deep wich I think caused a bit of a bulge in the casing anyway those are gone. I'm still knew to reloading (about 4500 rounds so far) and about 50/50 between plated and coated. The diagrams provided are a wealth of info and will be referring to those working up my next loads for the CZ and I always stay with starting load amounts. I've gotten everything where I wanted things for my 1911, 45 but the CZ has added a new leaning curve.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 12:32:08 PM »
Ah, well I wish we'd have known half that when the thread started.

Here's the rule you need to understand.... Not every bullet offered can be reloaded for every gun. Some bullets simply don't fit some guns. All this becasue gun chambers vary so much. So even if you can use the same bullet in 2 different guns, you might end up with 2 different OALs (or seating all short to fit the "tightest chamber").

Instead of guessing, why not allow us to recommend some really fabulous bullets that are KNOWN to work well in CZ chambers ?

My favorites are...
Precision Delta 124gr JHP........................1.100" OAL
Zero 124gr JHP......................................1.100
Rocky Mtn Reloading 124gr JHP................1.060
Berry Mfg 124gr RNHB (plated)................1.140
Berry Mfg 115gr RNHB (plated)................1.125
Missouri Bullet Co 130gr RN coated lead....1.130  (listed under 38 Super)

PD is the least expensive jacketed bullet you can buy, if you buy 2000
All the RMR bullets ship free
I like to buy Berry from RMR or TJConevera
MBC has some great prices on their "bundles", the most to fit in a single Flat Rate box

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Zigzag

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 05:22:50 PM »
Thanks Wobbly. I had pretty much decided to go with precision delta for my next purchase and I've learned a lot over a couple of posts and the diagrams really help. Some of my posts were done on the road so I didn't have access to my logs. The fellow that runs my local range and is my reloading source commented that my CZ is made to tighter to tighter tolerances and would take a little experimenting so I'll be trying things out in small batches using what I've learned in this forum.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 06:46:27 PM »
A lot of times people with 1911's will pay big money for a "target barrel". That's basically what the CZ comes with from the factory.

It's not so much that the area holding the cartridge case is a smaller diameter, those minimum dimensions are set by SAAMI. No sir, when people say "tight barrel" what they really mean is that there's not much freebore before the rifling starts. That freebore is what limits your OAL, and may also limit your bullet selection.

So you really have to be careful when people give you reloading advice, becasue what works great in a Glock, or Ruger may not even be possible in a CZ. Here's another cartoon to explain....

So you need to be careful how you filter in-coming info. Most reloaders have never even had to think about, or much less actually do, half of what we're talking about. Doesn't mean they're idiots, it simply means it's not part of their experience or process. They're probably not even aware it exists. 

Probably the nearest thing is the Croatian made Springfield XD series. That's another eastern European pistol with very similar chamber traits.

Hope this helps.  ;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 06:56:35 PM »
Though they aren't on Wobbly's list, I noticed tonight that Acme has again changed the profile of their 124RN. These look more forgiving for loading longer than the previous profile.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 09:57:48 PM »
Zigzag, .355 is standard for 9mm jacketed.  .356 is standard for lead or coated lead.  Many guns will shoot with more precision with .356 jacketed or .357 lead.  Some shoot .358 lead for best accuracy.  When it comes to accuracy, bullet to barrel fit is huge.

So don't get locked into "I'm going to use .355."  You limit yourself when you do that.  And it's less than ideal for lead or coated lead. There's nothing wrong with loading shorter.  If the bullet is good for the pistol, just load shorter.  ;)

It's just something to factor in.  It's not harder or risky somehow.  It's not really even something you have to take extra consideration for.  If you're employing the proper methods of determining max OAL for your pistol, it's the same process no matter what the diameter bullet. 

As to crimp diameter, if you're trying to get as narrow as possible, there might be an adjustment to make between bullets of different calibers, but if you simply went with .378 or .379 (.380 is the actual SAAMI spec), that would cover your bases for whatever diameter bullet you had. It's when you get down to .377, .376, .375 crimp where you need to start worrying about crimping differently for different diameter bullets.

Your plan to use Precision Delta will work well for you.  Great bullets.  Just saying you don't need to limit yourself.   And by avoiding the issue, you're potentially denying yourself valuable experience.  ;)