Author Topic: Pavona, Tanfoglio Compacts- Worth having?  (Read 804 times)

Offline Marauderx

Pavona, Tanfoglio Compacts- Worth having?
« on: January 16, 2018, 11:42:15 PM »
Are the Pavonas and the Tanfo compacts worth having? or are they too pricey with the turks pressing hard? I know I could never but the wonder finish ones, because the front of the slide could be used to shave... The witness P-S has an amazingly thin grip...

Offline Barebow

Re: Pavona, Tanfoglio Compacts- Worth having?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 06:45:23 PM »
Are any of the Turkish guns winning like the Tanfoglio/Witness steel frames have ?

In Italy Tanfoglio is a well respected gun maker.  I thought about a P120 and found a Witness Compact locally. I couldn't buy sight unseen after handling the EAA steel frame compact. I really didn't need a full sized duty gun anyway. My wife found the Pavona, to bulky and picked a DA only .38 j frame S/W with Crimson Trace laser grip. 

Offline Marauderx

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 10:08:19 PM »
The PCR, 75 Compact, and RAMI get a fair amount of attention, but the Tanfoglio's are thinner through the grip, with the same capacity. I would think that they would get more press...

Offline nitzer

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 11:16:30 PM »
I actually have one of the Tanfoglio PINK compacts in 9mm.  I bid on it since it was going for $160 on Gunbroker.  Low and behold I won it.  Paid $15 to get it transferred and $20 to ship it.  I have shot it, but it has a bit of a trigger slap.  You really don't notice it until about the 6th shot when you finger starts to sting a little.  I actually really like how grippy it is in the hand.  I didn't think it would feel so nice, but it does with my medium hands.  I'm wondering how I can get rid of the trigger slap besides just "shooting the crap out of it".

Offline olfarhors

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 10:53:06 AM »
I can't speak to the EAA (Tanfoglio) compacts but I have 3 Full size Tanfoglio,  a 38 Super , a 10 MM and a Elite Match in 38 super and honestly I will put them up against my CZ as to reliabiity, accuracy, and quality of build.
 now all 3 of mine are the steel framed weapons, the Elite Match is actually the most accurate handgun that I own, more than my CZ Shadow 2 by a tad and more accurate than my 1911's.

Offline Marauderx

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 07:03:17 PM »
I actually have one of the Tanfoglio PINK compacts in 9mm.  I bid on it since it was going for $160 on Gunbroker.  Low and behold I won it.  Paid $15 to get it transferred and $20 to ship it.  I have shot it, but it has a bit of a trigger slap.  You really don't notice it until about the 6th shot when you finger starts to sting a little.  I actually really like how grippy it is in the hand.  I didn't think it would feel so nice, but it does with my medium hands.  I'm wondering how I can get rid of the trigger slap besides just "shooting the crap out of it".

I have found that If I take a firm hold of the hammer and pull forward firmly on it, and pull the trigger hard, it has the same effect as lots of shooting, only wearing the surfaces that need breaking in.  You will be surprised how 20 actuations will actually make a difference. That is my new break in method...

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
Pavona, Tanfoglio Compacts- Worth having?
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 12:05:12 PM »

I have found that If I take a firm hold of the hammer and pull forward firmly on it, and pull the trigger hard, it has the same effect as lots of shooting, only wearing the surfaces that need breaking in.  You will be surprised how 20 actuations will actually make a difference. That is my new break in method...

I did the same with my Tanfoglio steel compact 45 with great results.

Yes, this pistol is worth having.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline win308

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 01:54:38 PM »
I have the purple compact, 13 shot which I like, but I'm anxious to compare it to a Pavona.  Supposedly lighter hammer and trigger springs from the factory.  I'll get black/charcoal this time...no more purple guns, but it should be similar in feel.  I don't want to carry anything bigger/heavier. 

I usually carry a G23 but I don't carry a round in the chamber (don't want to blow a hole in my leg during a speedy draw).  With a Tanfo, I can carry a round in the chamber, hammer down and safety on.  A flick of the safety and the gun is ready. I'll get the Pavona in 40, which is my preferred carry round. 

So, to answer your question, yes I think the compact is worth having, especially for daily carry.  I have several full sized Tanfoglios, but too much weight for me to carry...especially in all steel.

Offline win308

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 06:08:46 PM »
The new Pavona came in today.  Same size as a Glock 19 but a little thinner.... and sleaker looking.  On the trusty trigger pull gage, single action is exactly 4.5 lbs and double action 8.5lbs....very nice for a stock gun.  The charcoal and silver isn't too glitzy compared to other  Pavona offerings, but it does stand out with the sparkles.  I'll see how she shoots this weekend.

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 09:06:26 PM »
I have a Tan. Steel compact in .45. It's great. Nicer for carry than the K2 45. Both are keepers. Sold my 97B. Sold my P-01, sold my PCR. Guess I'm liking .45
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline mig1nc

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 09:15:25 AM »
Very cool pics y'all. Good info here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 02:57:14 PM »
I usually carry a G23 but I don't carry a round in the chamber (don't want to blow a hole in my leg during a speedy draw).  With a Tanfo, I can carry a round in the chamber, hammer down and safety on.  A flick of the safety and the gun is ready.

That is also my practice as well, with Striker Fired Pistols and DA/SA Tanfo/Canik/SAR Cz Style Pistols.

The new Pavona came in today.  Same size as a Glock 19 but a little thinner.... and sleaker looking.  On the trusty trigger pull gage, single action is exactly 4.5 lbs and double action 8.5lbs....very nice for a stock gun.  The charcoal and silver isn't too glitzy compared to other  Pavona offerings, but it does stand out with the sparkles.  I'll see how she shoots this weekend.

Congratulations on your new .40 Pavona and may it serve you well!  8)  :)

Looking forward to reading your Range Report on it!  :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 03:03:16 PM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"