Author Topic: Anyone here with a 9MM AR15? I'm thinking of building one.  (Read 3998 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Anyone here with a 9MM AR15? I'm thinking of building one.
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 06:31:51 PM »
Well, the sling attachment pieces, the KAK flash can and the four metalform magazines came in today.

Pulled the upper and lower apart, got the buffer/spring/spacer out of the tube and started to unscrew the buffer and shot the detent and spring that hold the buffer/spring in the tube across the kitchen (you'd think I'd know better by now).  Found them (had to move a table in the mud room to find the detent, spring was on the rug on the other side of the table, wife didn't hear me cussing.)

Got the tube out, put the sling attachment ring on the tube and installed it.  Got the castle nut locked down (no loctite or dimpling, yet) and reinstalled the buffer/spring/spacer.  Put the lower back together and tried to pull the charging handle to the rear and it would only move about 1/2".  For a bit I thought it was the detent sticking up just a tad to far since I twisted the blade out just a tad before locking the castle nut down.  Finally figured out the charging handle was hitting the sling attachment ring.  Checked all three of the ones I orders and all three are too large in outside diameter to clear the charging handle.  Got out the stone and started removing metal (should have gone to the garage to use the hobby belt sander but didn't want to disturb the dogs an hour before their afternoon walk/doggy treat time).  Got it down enough to clear the charging handle and then used to Brownell's cold bluing stuff to blacken the metal again.  Looks great, very black looking.

Reinstalled everything, locked the castle nut back down, reinstalled the detent, spring, buffer, spring and spacer and put the upper and lower back together.  Works great again.  I hate it when those little thing get in the way.

Took the free float tube off and then I found I had to remove the handstop and the flashlight rail to get the tube off over the flash suppressor.  Took the upper to the garage (yup, let the dogs out, petted them a bit, till the big guy came back out from under the pine trees with cat crap breath and then put them in the pen with a big doggy buscuit).  I got out the barrel vise blocks, clamped them and the upper in the bench vise and used a 19 mm wrench (think it was the 19) to get the flash suppressor off.  Came off pretty easy.  Then I installed the KAK flash can and got everything out of the vise. 

Came back inside and reinstalled the free float tube before putting the hand stop and flashlight rail back on the tube.

Ready for the range......
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

anything