Author Topic: Bren Gas tube wear  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Wusteadler

Bren Gas tube wear
« on: January 25, 2018, 03:19:29 PM »
I searched for this issue, but did not see it mentioned. I bought a Bren 805 rifle from Buds Gun shop a few months ago. After 90rds I couldn't shoot it anymore due to the excessive gas and metal debris flying back at my face. I took it home and noticed the gas tube hole had enlarged and what appeared to be very bad pitting/deep holes all around the gas tube hole.

I called and emailed CZ, and they assured me that it was normal wear. I ended up sending it in and after 6 weeks, received a letter stating it was normal and to try different ammo.

I loaded up some other ammo in 10rd increments and got thrpugh 30rds before calling it quits. I had 2 small holes in my cheek from metal fragments and an even worse looking gas tube. There was quite a lot of copper shavings in the gas system.

CZ denies there is a problem, and the rifle os currently at their warranty dept once again.

The only thing I can think of is a barrel burr, or gas port to large? Some others have reported the same issue, and they have also not had any resolution from CZ. Anyone else seeing this?

http://imgur.com/TnGqM65

http://imgur.com/YQzoZ1A

Any help, or ideas would be very welcomed!

Offline fakahatchee

Re: Bren Gas tube wear
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 04:51:20 PM »
   Here is my gas tube after 900 rounds. Lots of wear and CZ say that it is normal. Measured the orifice in the barrel, .110 which seem large when the ports in the gas tube are .043 and .048. Lets hope these are not US made barrels. I got this gun from Buds.

Offline dso970

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 11:05:50 PM »
https://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=75647.0

old thread, but seems same issue your having
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 11:07:33 PM by dso970 »

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 11:23:25 PM »
interesting - two members with one post each complaining about the same issue. Interesting.
I don't really have any idea how many rounds mine has been through, several thousand by now, with almost no discernible wear. I haven't done a real detailed look at the gas port, but I will try as soon as I get some time. I will say my rifle has been 100% perfect.

Offline Wusteadler

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 11:38:50 PM »
Yes, we two new people decided to take our issue here, since the AKFiles only had a few people that own the Bren. Thought we may find some more info.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 01:21:37 AM »
You guys came together? Welcome to the Forum, and we have some fairly knowledgeable people here. 8)
Starting off your post - if after 90 round my rifle's gas port had expanded to the point that I had actual metal debris coming back into my face, I would have done the same thing. You mention copper shavings in the gas system - is there a small "lip" in the barrel from the gas port scraping off passing bullets? Mine shoots cast bullets without depositing lead in the gas tube, so that might be something I'd be concerned about.
Yours is the first I've heard of in several years, please keep us advised what CZ says. I might also look for another barrel - the rifle is just too darn good to throw away if you can get it running right.

Offline Czech-m8

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 08:02:13 AM »
Maybe try shooting it with a linear compensator and a welding mask for a few thousand rounds.

Offline fakahatchee

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 10:54:42 AM »
  Looked at that post from 2015, his erosion at 10,000 rounds is way less than mine at 900. Something has changed in either the barrel or gas tube. I wonder if  some of you 805 owners could measure the orifice in the barrel, a 7/64 drill bit, .1093, will drop right in on mine with maybe a couple of thousands clearance. That .110 - .112 orifice seems large for a .223 and is causing jacket material to get blown through the gas system. By the way I've been a longtime lurker here. My CZ'S are a kadet, 83, 75 compact,527 in 7.62/39 and a CSA vz 58. I'm still liking my bren, if this is normal erosion I'll live with it. I bought a spare gas tube over the black friday sale, 20% off of the segular price of 80.00. missed one an American 452.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:06:20 AM by fakahatchee »

Offline Wusteadler

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 11:17:24 AM »
Funny you mentioned the gas port hole in the barrel. Mine (pictured above) seemed pretty bleep large as well. I wondered if it was wrong.

Offline Wusteadler

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 12:33:26 PM »
CZ just called me. They can't find anything wrong with the Bren and offered to refund it... now I am torn. I realllllly wanted that rifle.

Offline Czech-m8

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 03:40:47 PM »
Fwiw the bren 806 will have 3 holes with the 3rd being the biggest. Perhaps the rifle is fine with the larger hole there otherwise why add a larger one? Just my 2 cents.

Offline Kenneth

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 03:52:20 PM »
That’s seems like a huge gas port for a .223.

I want a Bren as well but it will be running suppressed. I want SMALLER gas options not something I can fit a drill bit in to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dso970

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 05:28:19 PM »
CZ just called me. They can't find anything wrong with the Bren and offered to refund it... now I am torn. I realllllly wanted that rifle.

nothing wrong with it and they offered to refund it?  thats strange

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 09:24:16 PM »
Actually, that's good customer service, one where they may think the customer just doesn't have a good fit for the product, and by offering a full refund for what is a used product they assume the fault, and try to make the customer happy. What you MIGHHT ask is if you get a refund, can you get a different BREN and try again -  I have had no issues with mine whatsoever, and haven't been hit in the face by anything.

Offline Wusteadler

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 09:48:53 PM »
I just can't believe they keep sticking with "your gas tube will look like that after 110 rounds". Uhm, no. Maybe 10,100 rounds. On FA.

anything