Author Topic: Introduction and Questions  (Read 2706 times)

Offline FALex

Introduction and Questions
« on: January 30, 2018, 10:34:49 PM »
Hello everyone.  I found this forum as I have been suffering "analysis paralysis" with regards to one of my next purchases.  My research led me here...hopefully my final spot for information.

Anyhow, I am a lifelong shooter, precision/long range rifles (bolt and gas) being my bread and butter but I am also a firearms instructor for my department, thus pistols have quickly taken over a major portion of my life as well.

Not certain if I should post my question here or in a different area, but what the hell, I'll start at the beginning.  Basically, I am wanting a CZ pistol.  The primary uses for this pistol will be plain and simple target shooting, precision shooting, potential competitions, and some combat pistol drills (so, pretty much everything ;)

I like the looks of the SP-01 Tac and the Shadow 2 Tac.  Is it true that the Shadow 2 is basically a refined SP01?

I know there are some great companies out there, such as Cajun Gun Works, and CZ Custom, that do excellent work on these pistols, so I guess my next question is: isn't it substantially cheaper to just buy the SP01 and send it to one of these fine companies for the "works," or is the Shadow 2 going to be a better product than even the smiths could churn out?  I would assume that the Smiths would be putting out a better firearm just due to the fact that their sole focus is custom work, no mass production issues involved.  From my rudimentary math skills, it appears the Shadow 2 can be had for about 12-1300, but I can get the SP01 and send it to CGW for their "Pro Package" deal and be into the gun for a little less than 1000.00.

What would you folks do? Anyone have the opportunity to shoot a Shadow 2 and a custom SP01?  Any recommendations on any of the CZ-specific shops that do this type of stuff?  Anything I am missing or you more experienced CZ owners think I should know or consider?

Sorry to pound the questions, but I'm hoping to get some answers.

Will the mods forgive me if I post this in another section (if I don't get many answers here)?

Thank you all very much.  Take me to school ;)

Offline SP01bob

Re: Introduction and Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 10:44:10 PM »
I'm buying a S2, so when it gets out of layaway jail I can compare it to my cajunized sp01 tactical. On the sp01, it shot great out of the box, but the cajun pro package made it pretty incredible. I'm glad to have done the upgrade. I'm now CZ addicted thanks to that gun and upgrade. Good luck on your quest. Wish I could offer you more.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline Alcoy

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 03:45:35 AM »
Welcome from Virginia.

S2 does not have a firing pin block, while sp01 has.  I heard it makes S2 trigger a lot better.  I have the sp01 and I don't have the S2 to compare.  I am sure others will jump in.

Again welcome.

Offline dave33

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 09:45:56 AM »

Basically, I am wanting a CZ pistol.  The primary uses for this pistol will be plain and simple target shooting, precision shooting, potential competitions, and some combat pistol drills (so, pretty much everything ;)

The Shadow and SP-01 are fine pistols no doubt, but if you haven't yet you may want to consider a CZ P-09.  You mention target and precision shooting, the P-09 is one of the most mechanically accurate guns money can buy, and its cheap too.  I reload my own ammo and have had several sub one inch 25 yd groups with many different loads and bullets, Ive even shot a 4" group at 100 yds with it.  Throw in a CGW race hammer, lighter hammer spring, and some different sights and you have a very soft shooting gun that's hard to beat.

There is a member here, Joe, that shoots bullseye competition with a P-09 and regularly puts to shame guys shooting high dollar custom built guns. 

Im sure you will be happy with which ever you choose, hope I havent muddied the water for you.  Welcome to the forum.

Offline Rickytick

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 09:59:16 AM »
Welcome aboard

Offline SP01bob

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 10:22:19 AM »
Good review here:

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=94784.0

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 11:03:27 AM »
Shadow 2 price is down to 1000-1100. I would go for the Shadow 2 every time. Sure the trigger might feel the same after CGW, but you won't have the ugpraded ergos.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 05:02:05 PM »
Welcome! Good to see LE here! I would say for you, the best choice might be the Shadow 2, and work from there. Don't discount the gun from the factory as all the ones I carried were factory stock until I discovered CGW, BUT, I was quite happy.
Again, welcome to the Forum, stick around a while, take a load off.

Offline FALex

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 10:50:28 PM »
Wow, you guys rock! Thanks for the info.  And to the gentleman who suggested the P09, I haven't discounted it completely, but I was thinking if I went with a CZ pistol, I was going to run all metal.  I did get a chance to fondle a Phantom, and that is also a really nice pistol.

After reading all of the comments, it seems there is almost a split where you guys have some lovely things to say about getting a gun worked over from Cajun, but that the Shadow 2 is hard to beat.

I did find out from a little birdie that the S2 is actually cheaper than I believed.  Furthermore, I have read that the S2 does lack the firing pin block, which allows the trigger to be worked to an even lower squeeze weight than the SP01 can go down to (not sure if that's true, but I've read that in two different locations by folks who seem to say it very emphatically).  For these reasons, it kind of makes buying it a no brainer.

However, if anyone else reading this has any further input, please don't hesitate.  The place where I would need to purchase the S2 is out of stock, so I will have a bit of time to continue my search.  If any of you has any lines on decent CZ deals, holler at me!

Thanks again all.  Looking forward to joining a new forum (I've been a long time member of Snipershide and ar15.com).  Nice to type about something different for a change.

Offline copemech

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 11:51:18 PM »
The shadows do have an "improved" trigger from the factory, and there are SP-01 shadows as well, which set the mark for many years, the S2 just weighs more even and has new ergos, but the original is better than most shooters will ever  be.

the FPB in a standard 75 or sp-01 does not necessarily increase pull weight, but the lack of it in a comp gun may remove a mm or two of pre-travel required to activate it, and alco may be removed on a gun with safety as opposed to decocker.

If you actually call David at CGW he can explain more, but suffice to say that a stock shadow may still be improved upon depending on what you want.

The Guardian

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 11:52:22 PM »
Shadow 2 price is down to 1000-1100. I would go for the Shadow 2 every time. Sure the trigger might feel the same after CGW, but you won't have the ugpraded ergos.

This is good advice........I've worked on a lot of CZ's, the ergo's on the S2 are "better", there are some improvements I would make even to the S2, but nothing very major....even if you wanted to improve on some aspect of the S2 it would be a small investment as opposed to a costlier one.  For the activities you mentioned the CZ would be used for ("everything") the S2 is really the best place to start...... ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 11:54:30 PM by The Guardian »

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 12:41:50 AM »
The S2 has a different ergos (noticeably better in my opinion) and a little longer barrel and sight radius. 

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 06:53:55 AM »
CZeck out the weights of the guns, generally heavier is less apt to move during trigger pulls (yet many here probably have a strong enough grip, experience to minimize the the feature of weight).

The correct answer is to get he SP01 (or 75B) now to shoot while searching for the S2.  Shoot the S2 while you are waiting for he first to come back from CGW, etc.  Then, realize that you'll also want to cagunize your S2.

Online Joe L

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 07:05:54 AM »
For your first CZ, the Shadow 2 would be hard to beat, I think.  But you can take even a standard CZ-75B and make it in to a match gun.  I, too, prefer the weight and feel of the steel guns over the polymer ones, but, since I first took mine out of the box, I've shot a P-09/07 very well, and carry a P-07.  My suggestion, get the steel gun first, shoot it a bunch, then consider a polymer model later, maybe even a P-10C later this year.  Upgrades for all of the CZs are easy to do yourself, except for the CGW 10x bushing for the older model steel pistols, which I highly recommend.  I like 'em all, I'm afraid.  I've won small local bullseye matches with a P-09, P-07, 97B"E", and 75B.  They are all good for sub 2" groups at 50 yards.  Several 1" groups with the 75B with the 10x bushing.  Sub 4" at 100 yards with the P-09...I could go on.  Go to Joemustang99 on Youtube if you want to see some bullseye and 100-200 yard videos.  My CZ guns are never a problem.  Trigger control can always be improved. 
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 08:19:30 AM »
The correct answer is to get he SP01 (or 75B) now to shoot while searching for the S2.  Shoot the S2 while you are waiting for he first to come back from CGW, etc.  Then, realize that you'll also want to Cagunize your S2.

But don't do what I did ! I thought $1200 was too much. So I took a SP-01 Tac and modified it step by step over the years and ended up with a near facsimile at twice the price !!

;D
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

anything