Author Topic: Heat colored trigger. Too much?  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Underwhere

Heat colored trigger. Too much?
« on: February 05, 2018, 08:32:14 PM »
I suffer from excessive modding where occasionally I take something from tasteful to neon underbody lights. I have a hard time realizing where the line is.

I toyed with heat coloring an 85C trigger on my Matte Stainless. (also did the grip screw)

Thoughts? Too much?

I was thinking of doing the same to a polished if I could ever find one.

Pics are in normal light and then also in a light box. The coloring is dependent on light conditions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline ericbphoto

• Forget the torpedoes. Full Speed ahead!
Re: Heat colored trigger. Too much?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 09:16:10 PM »
That doesn't look outlandish to me. It's your gun. So if you like it, then it's fine. It can always be replaced if you get tired of it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they are not.

Offline Sacred-Avenger

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:23:26 PM »
I?ve never seen a heat colored trigger on a matte frame. First impression is it?s pretty nice. I will say that I really like the color/stain finish of wood grips on the matte frame.

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 09:47:42 PM »
I?m a traditionalist in most things. That said, it looks pretty good and not outlandish in any way IMHO.

Regardless, it?s your gun, refine it to YOUR tastes, not ours.

Nice looking gun
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 09:57:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing - would also look good on a rust blued frame!

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 10:01:14 PM »
I suffer from excessive modding where occasionally I take something from tasteful to neon underbody lights. I have a hard time realizing where the line is.

I toyed with heat coloring an 85C trigger on my Matte Stainless. (also did the grip screw)

Thoughts? Too much?

I was thinking of doing the same to a polished if I could ever find one.

Pics are in normal light and then also in a light box. The coloring is dependent on light conditions.

Hmm now that I'm looking at it. Maybe too much blue purple and I should push it to more brown tones.

Offline Rickytick

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 10:48:20 PM »
not bad at all

The Guardian

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 11:19:52 PM »
Well, not my taste......only reason being it reminds me of the 40th Anniversary finish on the controls/trigger, which really was a bit much for me, seems like a lot of manufacturers were attempting that same look, didn't really care for any of them all that much........though yours I do like better.  That said, I can appreciate the effort in trying something different, almost like a case coloring type finish....on that basis I have to say, "great effort".  I try/do a lot of different things, sometimes things turn out pretty cool, occasionally even by accident....other times, not so much. For me constructive feedback, either way, has always been good for a different perspective.......ask and yee shall receive  ???

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 06:51:43 AM »
Well, not my taste......only reason being it reminds me of the 40th Anniversary finish on the controls/trigger, which really was a bit much for me, seems like a lot of manufacturers were attempting that same look, didn't really care for any of them all that much........though yours I do like better.  That said, I can appreciate the effort in trying something different, almost like a case coloring type finish....on that basis I have to say, "great effort".  I try/do a lot of different things, sometimes things turn out pretty cool, occasionally even by accident....other times, not so much. For me constructive feedback, either way, has always been good for a different perspective.......ask and yee shall receive  ???
I appreciate it. I need someone to keep me balanced. Agree on the 40th anniversary.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 09:09:51 AM »
Yeah the 40th anniversary took things a little far. But in the lighting in the pictures this is much more subtle. I've polished some of the black triggers and I like the way yours looks. There's just a glint of color with a really nice shinny look.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline Chelanace

• Trying to hit the broadside of a barn
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 11:50:38 AM »
I think it looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hoser

Offline Inusuit

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 02:35:16 PM »
I think it looks good.  Are you willing to describe the process you used?  Thanks.

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 02:40:13 PM »
I think it looks good.  Are you willing to describe the process you used?  Thanks.
Polish the trigger. 800 grit, 1500 grit, buffing wheel with compound

Clean the trigger with acetone, brake cleaner or whatever will remove oil

Do not touch the trigger with your hands at this point to avoid oil contamination. Use clean needle nose or some non coated wire to hold it.

Use a small butane torch and go over the entire trigger briskly to remove any moisture

Sweep small areas for 3 to 5 seconds and remove from heat. After you remove the heat you should see slight color changes. Those color changes will spread as heat spreads.

Colors will go slowly yellow to orange/brown. Then a bit more will get to purple and then within a few seconds blue. So you need to go very slow and deliberate if you want blue.

Once the desired coloring is reached, quench in blue windex.

Oil it up.

If you screw up the coloring you can just repolish it and start over.

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 02:42:21 PM »
Polish the trigger. 800 grit, 1500 grit, buffing wheel with compound

Clean the trigger with acetone, brake cleaner or whatever will remove oil

Do not touch the trigger with your hands at this point to avoid oil contamination. Use clean needle nose or some non coated wire to hold it.

Use a small butane torch and go over the entire trigger briskly to remove any moisture

Sweep small areas for 3 to 5 seconds and remove from heat. After you remove the heat you should see slight color changes. Those color changes will spread as heat spreads.

Colors will go slowly yellow to orange/brown. Then a bit more will get to purple and then within a few seconds blue. So you need to go very slow and deliberate if you want blue.

Once the desired coloring is reached, quench in blue windex.

Oil it up.

If you screw up the coloring you can just repolish it and start over.
A closer pic