Author Topic: 147gr plated photos?  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: 147 gr plated photos?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 08:38:43 AM »
Thanks. Do you think it would change if I was shooting an extreme or a Rainer?

I know it will. How much and in which direction (plus or minus) friends here will be glad to tell you. I certainly have no idea, have never loaded those other brands.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
Re: 147 gr plated photos?
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »
Not so in this case.   My plunk test allows a max of 1.11 unless I can find a bullet with a more narrow ogive and that is what I an trying to do. Thanks for your suggestions though.

I think the question here hinges upon the definition of his "plunk test" and the manufacturer of his bullet. I see 2 options...

Either the OP's "plunk test" is not the equivalent of this forum's "Push Test", OR his bullets have been mixed up and he has blunt nose 115gr plated bullets from Rocky Mntn Reloading in the Berry box. Quite possibly he ordered 115gr Berry from RMR and they made a substitution.

Mr. U.Shooter -

You could save us all a lot of time and trouble. In stead of us posting photos of every known 115gr RN plated bullet in the universe, why don't you simply post a photo of your bullets ??

Thanks.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:05:36 AM by Wobbly »

Offline Utah Shooter

Re: 147gr plated photos?
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 01:39:18 PM »
Not so in this case.   My plunk test allows a max of 1.11 unless I can find a bullet with a more narrow ogive and that is what I an trying to do. Thanks for your suggestions though.

I think the question here hinges upon the definition of his "plunk test" and the manufacturer of his bullet. I see 2 options...

Either the OP's "plunk test" is not the equivalent of this forum's "Push Test", OR his bullets have been mixed up and he has blunt nose 115gr plated bullets from Rocky Mntn Reloading in the Berry box. Quite possibly he ordered 115gr Berry from RMR and they made a substitution.

Mr. U.Shooter -

You could save us all a lot of time and trouble. In stead of us posting photos of every known 115gr RN plated bullet in the universe, why don't you simply post a photo of your bullets ??

Thanks.   ;)
I assure you all it is a berry's 115 gr. I've been dumb before but...   I will take a photo when I get home today.   I have not checked the chamber though.   

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:43:54 PM by Utah Shooter »

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 02:58:45 PM »
I don?t doubt they?re Berry?s.  I?m just positive there is something else going on.   Those bullets will plunk longer than SAAMI max of 1.169.  There is no degree of variation in factory reaming that would account for a max OAL of 1.11 with that bullet in a CZ. 

I would advise figuring THAT issue out before moving on to anything else. 

Again, load a dummy round to maybe 1.160".

Size
Bell
Seat to 1.160"
Crimp mouth to 0.378"

Then pull your barrel and clean with a brush and solvent, then a cloth, and then plunk and spin that dummy cartridge.  If it won?t plunk and spin freely, re-measure OAL And Cade mouth diameter, and if those numbers are right, visually inspect chamber for burrs, and if that?s good to go, send the barrel back to CZ with that dummy cartridge and ask why every other CZ owner on the planet can chamber that bullet at the SAAMI max of 1.169, but you have to go down to 1.110".

But I suspect if you start over from scratch with a fully sized, seated, and crimped dummy cartridge, you?ll find you can load out to 1.160, no problem.  ;)

[Mods have added trailing digits to some of the dimensions given to increase clarity.]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:44:17 AM by Wobbly »

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 08:11:12 AM »
Again, load a dummy round to maybe 1.160".

Size
Bell
Seat to 1.160"
Crimp mouth to 0.378"

I agree with this concept and direction.

As we all know from reading the Stickies, the 9x19 Luger uses a tapered chamber, and therefore all sorts of cartridge and taper crimp issues mimic OAL problems. Before you can ever start to diagnose OAL and bullet ogive problems, it is very wise to rule out chambering issues using multiple test cartridges, each made to ID's dimensions, if necessary.

Allow me to state this another way... the fit of multiple contact points between the cartridge and the chamber is less than the diameter of a human hair. You're working with interface tolerances equal to about half the thickness of common office copy paper. So it doesn't take a glaringly large screw-up to upset the apple cart.

? My point is, if there is an anomaly in your test cartridge, it can be so small that you cannot see it or feel it.

? It also occurs to me, that since test cartridges are key to the solution... in a full Risk Analysis, it's much more likely that your reloading dies are at fault rather than the CZ barrel. Allow me to send you a test cartridge made on trustworthy dies.

Hope this helps.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:18:05 AM by Wobbly »