Author Topic: Red Dot effectivness for LEO -4 year study by Sage Dynamics  (Read 5815 times)

Offline bayouredd

Re: Red Dot effectivness for LEO -4 year study by Sage Dynamics
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 09:15:36 PM »
I had just decided recently that my next handgun was just going to get my P01 milled & fitted. I still have the 75 Matte for iron shooting. Double the pleasure/double the fun...

By the way, nice read...

Offline Vinny

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 09:34:28 PM »
IMHO fiber optic sights are kind of a "middle of the road" option in between irons and RDS, the better qualities of both and my personal preference all things considered......just felt like I "needed" to toss this into the fray  ??? (don't hurt me too bad  ;D )

Better iron sights is a step in the right direction.  I just added TFX Pro sights on my P-01. They're both fiber optic for daytime; with tritium behind the FO for low light conditions at night. Big improvement over factory sights. I'm also trying XS Sights 'Big Dots' on my RAMI.  My eye sight ain't what it used to be, so anything that will give me faster acquisition on target in a defensive handgun is a plus.

However, I understand the financial limitations of agencies adopting significantly more expensive sight systems.  The TFX Pro sights only cost about $120 so that's probably more realistic.

Having BOTH FO/Tritium Co-witness sights AND a good RDS is my ultimate preference.  But that's JMO.

"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Vinny

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 09:39:15 PM »
I had just decided recently that my next handgun was just going to get my P01 milled & fitted. I still have the 75 Matte for iron shooting. Double the pleasure/double the fun...

By the way, nice read...

Yeah, I wouldn't have the heart to mill that  beautiful 75 Matte, so TWO guns is the ideal solution.  O0
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline 1down

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 12:24:50 PM »
I have a couple red dots.  Don't really care for them much.  Not even sure they are better than the iron sights.

Now a laser I can get behind!

Offline cremaley

• Retired but not forgotten
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 05:42:28 PM »
Definitely takes some getting use to. Helps to have co-witness sights. Once you master thought it make for very accurate shooting.
CZ 10-PC 9mm (HBI Trigger, CGW Striker 3lb spring, GGI Stainless Guide Rod 15lb spring)
Sig Sauer P365 9mm
Sig Sauer P320 X Carry 9mm
Springfield 911 .380
"Remember the first rule of gunfighting...have a gun"-Jeff Cooper

Offline Criz

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 09:13:33 AM »
I have TFX Pro sights on my P01 (which I think has pretty good sights already).  Like Vinny said above the combo is great for day and night on my older-ish eyes.
I will have to ask the SRO at my school his thoughts on using a RDS and how cost might impact the decision for the department to outfit.
Army - 67N Crewchief
Italian Motorcycles
German Cars
Northwest Coast IPAs

Offline Nimdabew

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 04:10:47 PM »
Now make it so I can afford it and sturdy enough for every day carry. Since Trijicon is miles outside my price range, I suppose I will continue to use irons - they never grow dim or die. :) I do like red dots on my long guns - the AR Optics TRS 32 is a good dot for the BREN.

The best option, for me at least, would be a fiber optic + battery option instead of a tritium + fiber optic. I am guessing this isn't as easy as it sounds because of space restrictions, so a type 2 RMR is going to be my next optic. I "like" the DPP that I have on my first M&P, but it is freaking huge relatively speaking compared to an RMR.
snakeye, no worries, I don't need someone in a leotard. :)