Author Topic: Can I remove trigger bar without removing removing hammer group?  (Read 1446 times)

Offline MoRivera

Can I remove trigger bar without removing removing hammer group?
« on: February 08, 2018, 01:29:06 PM »
Hi all.  I might be trying a different trigger shoe and return spring on my Shadow 2.  My question is once I remove the sear cage, can I remove the trigger bar group without having to remove the hammer, with the safety detents on the side et al?  It still has the disconnector, but what I can tell that rotates up enough that the trigger bar can still be taken out from underneath.  I'd just rather not go through the extra removal of pins and detents/spring holding the hammer group in if I don't have to. 

Could it be done if the disconnector is already removed?  My 'smith left it in  when he installed my SAO trigger....so I bight have him remove it like I asked before I try a different trigger shoe later.  Advice is appreciated
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 01:33:11 PM by MoRivera »

Offline SlvrDragon50

Re: Can I remove trigger bar without removing removing hammer group?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 03:15:49 PM »
Pretty easy to remove the hammer group, takes maybe 30 more seconds? Maybe it's possible, but the amount of time you spend trying to get the bar in and out, you can remove the hammer.

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 03:17:38 PM »
Pretty easy to remove the hammer group, takes maybe 30 more seconds? Maybe it's possible, but the amount of time you spend trying to get the bar in and out, you can remove the hammer.
Makes sense.  After looking things over it really isn't that much of a difference...just got to be careful not to loose those little pins/springs.  Thx.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 03:18:36 PM »
Makes sense.  After looking things over it really isn't that much of a difference...just got to be careful not to loose those little pins/springs.  Thx.

Just take apart your CZ a few more times, and it'll become second nature. First time I removed my safety, it took me about 30 minutes. Now I can do it in maybe a minute or two.

Offline jDeLaBay

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 03:48:43 PM »
One of those magnetic bowls come in handy for all the miscellaneous parts. The magnet is nice insurance in case you knock the bowl on accident, won't send those tiny springs/pins flying everywhere.

Removing the hammer group is actually one of the easier parts of disassembly. Have fun putting the sear cage together for the first time!

Offline Mjolnir

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 07:28:42 PM »
One of those magnetic bowls come in handy for all the miscellaneous parts. The magnet is nice insurance in case you knock the bowl on accident, won't send those tiny springs/pins flying everywhere.

Removing the hammer group is actually one of the easier parts of disassembly. Have fun putting the sear cage together for the first time!
Where would one find a Bowl as you describe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 08:05:39 PM »
Home Depot, Ace, Amazon, probably Wallyworld etc. Just check in the automotive/hardware sections.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 08:27:30 PM »
Yeah it'll probably all become natural.  I've fully disassembled my Sig's and 1911's and feel very comfortable with them.  I don't do much filing or even polishing, just parts. I've got a lot of magnets laying around too from guitar pickups, they come in handy when it comes to little springs and pins.  And no way am I taking that sear cage apart.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:29:40 PM by MoRivera »

Offline SoCal

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 09:05:13 PM »
And no way am I taking that sear cage apart.
Taking it apart is easy... it's getting them back together that hurts! LOL
There are GREAT tutorials on this forum and once you do it you will have a better understanding and a sense of accomplishment.  It really is not that hard just "fussy".  If you do it you will be glad you did.
If I had known how much better being retired is than working I would have done it FIRST.

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 07:02:36 PM »
Did it.....wasn't so bad.  Did my fair share of cussing, but that's just me anyway.  O0  Today I installed:

- Armory Craft 'Tactical' profile trigger. Like this trigger reach a little better than the 'target' profile I had before.

- CGW Reduced Power Trigger Return Spring

- CGW 'Floating' Trigger Pin

- CGW Reduced Power Firing Pin Spring

- CGW 13-lb Hammer Spring

- Removed the Disconnector.  Took some effort but starter punch helped.

I'll definitely feel more comfortable next time if I have to take it apart.  My SP-01 Tactical with decoder....that's another story!

Offline redlightrich

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 09:21:11 AM »
Good work!!! Can you post a pix of that Armory Craft trigger's pre-travel screw please? You will need to hold the trigger fully rearward to show it. I want to see the angle on it please.
Also, how much was that trigger? I am in the process of something similar.

BTW, sometime laying small parts on a magnetic pan will transfer magnetism to them. This can be a blessing or a curse during reassembly if using a small steel tool.
I actually have a demagnetizing tool, that helps when needed.

Good job!

Rich

Offline redlightrich

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 09:23:23 AM »
Disregard. I have seen your other post that included pix of the trigger showing the pre-travel screw.

Thank you

Rich

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 09:54:07 AM »
Good work!!! Can you post a pix of that Armory Craft trigger's pre-travel screw please? You will need to hold the trigger fully rearward to show it. I want to see the angle on it please.
Also, how much was that trigger? I am in the process of something similar.

BTW, sometime laying small parts on a magnetic pan will transfer magnetism to them. This can be a blessing or a curse during reassembly if using a small steel tool.
I actually have a demagnetizing tool, that helps when needed.

Good job!

Rich

Yeah, the little detents and pins had some magnetism transferred and it was a bit of an aggravation.  Nothing crazy though.  I think I might invest in some good polymer tweezers for the future.

At one point I dropped the spring-loaded left-side safety detent on the floor, and boy did I holler out some bad words.  Like if I had a swear jar, it'd be a record week.  Thankfully found the spring on the floor but then started to panic when I couldn't find the actual detent tab.  Turns out it actually fell back into my bowl and was caught by the magnet.  :P

Trigger is 59.00 at Armory Craft.  Even with minimal or no pre-travel screw out, the pre-travel is very short and feels just right with a reduced power trigger return spring.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:40:06 AM by MoRivera »

anything