Author Topic: Remington bankrupt  (Read 2355 times)

Offline AZ_CZ

Remington bankrupt
« on: February 09, 2018, 08:32:04 PM »
Hard to imagine how badly managed a gun manufacturer must be if you can go out of business with the record sales in the USA over the last few years. The recent poor record of quality control, the R51 pistol fiasco and the 700 trigger controversy certainly haven't helped. The last original idea I can recall them bring to the market was the electronic primer ignition.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-remingtonoutdoor-bankruptcy-exclusive/exclusive-u-s-gunmaker-remington-seeks-financing-to-file-for-bankruptcy-sources-idUSKBN1FT04C
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: Remington bankrupt
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 09:54:19 PM »
The R51 killed them. They let it our BADLY flawed and then played games with the fix/recall, then the new release which I am told is almost as bad...maybe CZ-UB can buy them like they did Dan Wesson and rebuild the brand with quality. Just thinking out loud...

The Guardian

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 09:58:16 PM »
Hard to imagine how badly managed a gun manufacturer must be if you can go out of business with the record sales in the USA over the last few years. The recent poor record of quality control, the R51 pistol fiasco and the 700 trigger controversy certainly haven't helped. The last original idea I can recall them bring to the market was the electronic primer ignition.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-remingtonoutdoor-bankruptcy-exclusive/exclusive-u-s-gunmaker-remington-seeks-financing-to-file-for-bankruptcy-sources-idUSKBN1FT04C

Would have thought Marlin would have been first.......Remington is a bit of a surprise though there are so many innovations and so many smaller manufacturers making quality firearms if the larger gunmakers quality control slips they just plain won?t last. Brand loyalty from customers is one thing, but In exchange for that loyalty customers expect and really demand quality firearms.....it?s a fair trade!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:50:01 PM by The Guardian »

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 11:01:03 PM »
They are hardly dead; just a way to hose the shareholders and continue on.

I must admit the R1S 1911 is a fine machine with traditional looks.   I felt no need to send mine back to Remington for inspection / tune up despite their standard program in place back then.

Offline timetofly

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 11:51:12 PM »
This bites a little.  I was thinking of getting an 870 field grade.  I guess I'll have to wait and see. 

All of life’s journeys begin by putting one foot in front of the other.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 06:27:49 AM »
The R51 killed them. They let it our BADLY flawed and then played games with the fix/recall, then the new release which I am told is almost as bad...maybe CZ-UB can buy them like they did Dan Wesson and rebuild the brand with quality. Just thinking out loud...

Not just the R51 which yes both issues are scrap but they also own Marlin as well and took that great company to new lows in QC. Across the board Remington/Marlin are just no where near what they used to be. I've looked at some of the new offerings and there's nothing I'd consider bringing home. Clunky and junky and a shame.

Offline ssqman

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 01:08:17 PM »
Freedom Group strikes again. What does that make now? Bushmaster, Remington, Marlin? I'm sure there are more.
No, Google is not my friend

Offline eastman

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 03:57:17 PM »
Freedom Group strikes again. What does that make now? Bushmaster, Remington, Marlin? I'm sure there are more.

Don't forget - they bought out Para, then shut them down.

Have they ruined DPMS yet?

Hopefully someone actually interested in running a firearms business will acquire all of these companies from Cerberus.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline frgood

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 06:51:30 PM »
I can only hope that small builders remain. It is going to take a rebirth of the industry by the likes of the local custom builders and their patrons. Not necessarily producing high end custom guns. But those that simply bring quality craftsmanship to the common build.

That is my hope. To see the individual, each free American, step up and rebuild our tools of freedom and everyday life. Makes all those 80% kits more valuable.
It all sounded a lot funnier in my head.

Offline Glasspix

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 08:20:51 AM »
There are a lot of good people and top professionals who will lose their jobs at Remington, just imagine how they must feel being forced to manufacture sub-standard products for years and now not being able to support their families. I cannot imagine CZ has the buying power to rescue this venerable company, but whoever does should learn from CZ how one can create excellent quality products with very little financial capital and without top notch technology like they used to do behind the iron curtain, and how to turn such a company into one of the most respected cutting edge manufacturers that compete with the best in business.

Offline snakeye

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 08:38:30 PM »

Not Freedom Group anymore it's Remington Outdoor Company now.

Offline Swamp ash

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 09:40:46 PM »
Bummer. I liked the RM380, too.

Ruger rimfire fan

Offline Mastodon

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 09:43:30 PM »
I still mourn the Marlin buyout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chartered in 1845 by The Republic of Texas

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 10:35:57 PM »

I sure wish CZ would buy the rights to Rem. weapon designs and perfect that R51 into the great pistol it could/should have been.   The faults mine exhibited could have been fixed with properly machined replacement parts.
 Nothing in my house with a Remington name or logo except two stainless R51 mags they didn't want back.  They work fine.

Offline cremaley

• Retired but not forgotten
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 02:04:01 PM »
Very sad!
CZ 10-PC 9mm (HBI Trigger, CGW Striker 3lb spring, GGI Stainless Guide Rod 15lb spring)
Sig Sauer P365 9mm
Sig Sauer P320 X Carry 9mm
Springfield 911 .380
"Remember the first rule of gunfighting...have a gun"-Jeff Cooper

anything