Author Topic: In the process of building an AR-15, experiences?  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Hemiscorpius lepturus

Re: In the process of building an AR-15, experiences?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 03:51:03 AM »
I am still waiting on the barrel (might be a while) but I figured I would go over the various additional required items I got so I could correctly build it.

Magpul BEV block
  Hell of a lot cheaper than a reaction rod, AND works on the lower too

Go/No-Go/Field gauge set
  Not expecting a problem but better safe than sorry

Wheeler FAT wrench
  Accurate in-lb torque wrench for installing handguard and other small screws, dont want to strip out the upper

Aeroshell 64 grease
  For the barrel install, also used on the buffer tube threads and on the ejection port cover
  Got it from MCARBO

Stuff I already had and have used so far (or will use):

Full size torque wrenches
  need 55 ft-lbs for the barrel nut

Tekton Punches and Grace brass hammer
  KNS Perma Pin requires a punch to go in and out

Craftsman and Kobalt precision tool sets
Husky hex keys, lots of them
#11 scalpel
Precision q-tips
Mil-Comm TW25B and MC2500
Finish Line Pro Road CR
Sentry Solutions Tuf Glide, Smooth Kote, BP-2000, Hi-Slip grease
Sandpaper: 800, 2000, 2500 grit
Nitrile gloves
99% technical grade isopropyl alcohol

And for later...
PMAGs gen3
150 rounds of M855
Maybe some Hornady Black SBR

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 06:22:37 AM »
Sounds like you're having enough fun there will be more after this one.

Oh, it's called BRD (Black Rifle Disease).   O0
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Mike Russell

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 12:43:03 PM »
Sounds like you're having enough fun there will be more after this one.

Oh, it's called BRD (Black Rifle Disease).   O0

Many, MANY more. It truly is addictive. I find myself looking for reasons to justify building another...and the reason may be "oh look, I've got a mag button sitting there, I need to build a lower so it's not just sitting there" LOL

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 03:32:48 PM »
My first was bought at a gun show.  I enjoyed it so much I decided to build one.

I built a 24" bull barreled vARmint rifle, big scope, bipod and all.  Man, is that thing heavy, shoots good though.

Next I built three 20" flat tops.  One for me, one for each son.  #1 son didn't have any interest so #2 and I built all three and I put one away relatively untouched after sighting it in (probably the most accurate AR15 I had.)

Then I wanted a 16" carbine.  Then my nephew and I built a 16" carbine for him.  Then a carbine for my wife.  Then my nephew wanted a 24" heavy barreled AR15.  And then....and then....and then....

I've stopped telling the lie that "this is the last one Honey, I really mean it, this time."
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Hemiscorpius lepturus

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 07:40:18 PM »
Finally received the barrel last week, checked the headspace and installed it on the upper, along with the gas block, handguard, and muzzle devices. Finally got to take it out for a spin yesterday and get the gas block adjusted, worked great. Finished torquing everything down today and applying loctite where required.

Other than awkwardness installing the barrel nut because of my small vice and limited workspace, there was no drama finishing the upper. I polished the inside of the gas block and outside of barrel where they meet with moly powder, it made installing it a breeze.

Here is the component list for the upper:

**upper
      Aero Precision M4E1, black
   **handguard
      Aero Precision 9" MLOK
   **dust cover
      Strike Industries enhanced UDC, black polymer
   **forward assist
      Stock upper part
   **charging handle
      Radian Raptor LT

**bolt carrier
      Superlative Arms
      Ionbond DLC black coating
      H-13 tool steel op rod
   **bolt
      LMT Enhanced Bolt
   **cam pin
      POF Roller Cam Pin
      NP3 coated
   **firing pin
      V Seven Weapon Systems
      Grade 23 Titanium, Ionbond DLC black coating
   **firing pin retaining pin
      KNS Precision Perma Pin

**buffer
      JP Silent Captured Spring
      std weight, std spring
   **buffer retainer
      V Seven Weapon Systems
      Grade 5 Titanium
   **buffer retainer spring
      Neverwear Inconel 600

**barrel
      Andro Corp 10.5" 5.56 1/7"
      41V50 steel, salt bath nitride finish
   **gas block
      Superlative Arms Piston Block, clamp type
      416 stainless steel, salt bath nitride finish
   **muzzle devices
      Precision Armament EFAB
      Indian Creek Design BFD
      1mil shim washers, 18-8 stainless steel

It took about 20 rounds to get the gas block adjusted and get optimal settings for the 5 different types of ammo I brought with me, all the 5.56 ammo seemed to have the same setting of 7.0 where the bolt failed to lock back, except for Hornady Black 62gr, which did lock back on 7.0. 7.0 on the gas block is turns from 0 (no gas), where 4.5 is fully open, and numbers above that bleed out the front of the block. The .223 required a quarter turn more gas, as expected. With final settings of 6.5 for 5.56 and 6.25 for 223, the recoil impulse was very low and soft. An additional 11 mixed rounds in 3 mags were shot after testing with the BFD was reinstalled to make sure it all worked correctly and to see how it did its job, which was quite well.

Upon inspection and cleaning, the only thing that was dirty was the bolt face and the chamber, the piston kit keeps the rest of it extremely clean. Aero had a note about their upper NOT being piston kit compatible, but others have run the Superlative kit with success, as did I. The machining on the gas block and bolt carrier is of the highest quality, and the op rod fits perfectly through the unusual gas tube hole in the upper. I added a rail cover over that area, that is where I added lube for the op rod and dont wait it spraying onto an optic. The op rod is H-13 tool steel, which is similar to 41V40 CMV, but has 5 times the chromium, molybdenum, and silicon, with about half the manganese. It is very strong and rigid.

I may add a bolt spring or change the forward assist at some point in the future, but it is ready to go now. After I throw some sort of sight on it I will shoot a few full mags and look for signs of abnormal wear in the BCG area. With a 10.5" barrel I am not expecting huge accuracy, 4moa will make me happy, the optics I have available to me at the moment will not be good enough for that, so I will pick up a 1-6x scope more than likely.

I will get some pictures and come up with a $ figure, which was more than I was expecting, but is still a lot less than a piston driven AR from HK or LMT, with a superior trigger, almost all stainless/rustproof components, and I fully trust the build work because I did it.

Offline Shadow knows

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 12:54:23 AM »
I am on #4.  I too have aeros M4E1 upper/lower set waiting for cerekote.  I also have JP silent springs. I guess I use a lot of seekings parts and triggers are a mix match of a lot.  Been using Midwes Ind hand guards a lot lately and have one for the new one. 
Thinking a 6mm of some sort. 

I enjoy building my own, a lot cheaper with better parts