Author Topic: Cold weather bullseye practice with the 97B"E"  (Read 311 times)

Offline Joe L

Cold weather bullseye practice with the 97B"E"
« on: February 11, 2018, 03:54:28 PM »
My schedule this morning included a sunrise visit to the dog park with my 75 lb Labradoodle followed by 120 rounds of bullseye practice.  Same as most weekends when I am in town.  I cleaned the 97 and the Kadet on Saturday, but underestimated the conditions for early Sunday morning.  With lots of layers I was fine at the dog park, but none of my dog's playmates or owners showed up due to the mid-teens (F) chill factor temp, with gusts out of the north and an overcast sky. 

I knew no one would be at the range!!  So I dropped the dog off and headed to the range, fully expecting conditions to be pretty good if I was shielded from the wind.  Wrong.  It was cold, ammo was cold, guns were cold.  I decided 60 rounds through the 97, without video, and without fooling with the MantisX or video camera through the red dot, was appropriate for the conditions.  I still learned a few things, as documented in the following, after the fact, video.  I will shoot the 97 in our club match in two weeks.  I hope. 

Video should finish uploading by 3:15 pm CST. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline Scarlett Pistol

Re: Cold weather bullseye practice with the 97B"E"
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 10:23:47 PM »
I went out early Saturday morning with some friends. The weather forecast changed drastically overnight. From the first time I walked out to my car at 6:45 AM to when we left at 7:30 it dropped at least 10 degrees,  and as we drove out it started snowing. I thought it would be a passing flurry but it kept snowing for an hour. I had some moly grease on my slides and it definitely thickened. Luckily it wasn’t much and I had no issues with cycling. Had the weather forecast been correct for temperatures I would have put a lighter lubricant on the pistols. Is pretty crazy how much of a difference it makes when the temperatures drop that much.

Nice shooting! I didn’t even set up paper targets to take pictures of. The wind would of ripped them apart and at those temperatures it i shot horribly for a bit. I didn’t improve until I realized how numb my hands were and this had caused my grip and trigger pull to change. Shooting in those conditions wasn’t too fun, but it was a good lesson for me just in case I ever needed to.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline Scarlett Pistol

Re: Cold weather bullseye practice with the 97B"E"
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 10:34:06 PM »
I was watching another video of yours that showed up in my feed after watching today’s. The video was facing you from your 2 or 3 o’clock. It made me wonder, do you do any shoulder exercises for holding lighter weights out for longer periods of time or lots of reps?
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

anything