Author Topic: Scope for a CZ 550 FS 6.5x55  (Read 871 times)

Offline Wrinkleburn

Scope for a CZ 550 FS 6.5x55
« on: February 12, 2018, 05:01:46 PM »
Hello everyone,

Looking to pick up a scope for my CZ 550 FS 6.5x55. I have a set of the medium height Warne QD rings already. I don't have much experience with scopes, so any help is much appreciated. My budget is $250 or less and want something that will look at home on this rifle style. It will be used at the range occasionally for a bit of target shooting as well as hunting deer size game, no further than 200 yards.  I believe I may have found a few options:

-Leupold VX-1 Shotgun/Muzzleloader 1-4x20mm Turkey Plex 113861
The duplex doesn't seem to be a good idea. This is a shotgun/muzzleloader scope but I suppose it would work just fine? I found this online new for about $180.

-Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20
Again, the duplex doesn't seem like it would be too versatile. They have a "Pig Plex" that seems like it would work OK.

-Leupold VX-1AR, 1.5-4x20mm
Tac-hunter reticle. Not sure of the benefits of this one over the VX-1 to justify the slight price increase.

Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5-20mm does not seem to be made anymore.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these, or other suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Edit: Reading up on the reticle types, it seems that the duplex may be a good option after all.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:12:22 PM by Wrinkleburn »

Offline painter

Re: Scope for a CZ 550 FS 6.5x55
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 05:14:12 PM »
Any of those scopes will work fine for deer sized game.

None of them will be much good for punching paper, and the ones with the heavy reticles less so.

For target use out to 200 yards you'll want something like 16x, unless your target is 18".
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:10:03 PM »
Why use a variable scope? You can get a far better optics in a fixed power 4x or 6x scope that will look great on that rifle. At the high end of your budget take a look at a Leupold FX-II in 4 or 6 power. Weaver K series scopes will run about $200 and have outstanding quality. The Sighton S2 4x and Burris Timberline 4x are also fantastic bargains.

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 09:52:12 PM »
Looking at those, I would go with the Freedom with a Duplex reticule.  I started my centerfire shooting odyssey back in 1963 with a fixed power Leupold 4x with a Duplex, shooting mostly paper, and it did fine.  If you are not going for precision shooting, and I would not think so with that gun, but more a learning what it will do and some recreational target shooting it should be fine.  I would stay away from the fancy reticules.  I think the freedom model would look "cleaner" on the FS rifle than an AR tactical type.    I have not checked on the shotgun types, but think parallax would be set closer than on those other scopes. 

Optics planet still has the 2.5x ultralight scope listed.  and it should be excellent for hunting, the lower power more marginal for target shooting, but not impossible.  It would really look good on that rifle.

Personally I would look at a Leupold Fx II 4x33 , fixed 4 power.  I like Leupold scopes, been using them like I said since 1963 and have lost count of how many I have.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 12:56:30 AM »
I used a Burris Fullfield 3-9 with the BDC reticle on my 243. Wanted it to match my Browning BLR to keep things simple. I have never felt handicapped at close range with a 3x and like the versatility of 9x for longer shots. Don't think it looks too awful.

The Vortex Crossfire 1-4 is nice for the money. Cabelas had them for $120 recently. Looked through it in the backyard but have not mounted or used it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Wrinkleburn

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 12:48:25 PM »
Thank you all for the suggestions and comments. I ended up ordering the Nikon Monarch 3 1-4x20mm. Found a deal I couldn't pass up.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 05:55:39 PM by Wrinkleburn »