Author Topic: Braces Suck!!  (Read 398 times)

Offline marcoc

Braces Suck!!
« on: February 13, 2018, 09:11:21 AM »
Naahhh!! Because of what has been made available recently and a revised interpretation on whether they can be shouldered, the braces have become more practical and a more comfortable way of shooting shorter firearms. Enjoy while they last!

Offline John A.

Re: Braces Suck!!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 11:13:33 AM »
revised interpretation that they can be shouldered?

Nope.

Those words just come from people with lack of reading comprehension skills and only want to hear what they want to hear.

I truly wish people would stop repeating that stupid stuff.  I cannot express enough disdain for that.

What ATF essentially said was say they wouldn't come and shoot your dog and kick in your door if it accidentally brushed up against your shoulder while you were out shooting.

It didn't say that a brace was legal to use as a buttstock.  On the contrary, they affirmed that anything designed or redesigned to be used as a shoulder stock would still classify the gun as an SBR.

https://www.atf.gov/file/11816/download

"NFA defines both rifle and shotgun to include any “weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder,” any person who redesigns a stabilizing brace for use as a shoulder stock makes a NFA firearm when attached to a pistol with a rifled barrel under 16 inches in length or a handgun with a smooth bore under 18 inches in length.
The GCA does not define the term “redesign” and therefore ATF applies the common meaning. “Redesign” is defined as “to alter the appearance or function of.” See e.g. Webster’s II New College Dictionary, Third Ed. (2005). This is not a novel interpretation."

"The pistol stabilizing brace was neither “designed” nor approved to be used as a shoulder stock, and therefore use as a shoulder stock constitutes a “redesign” of the device because a possessor has changed the very function of the item. Any individual letters stating otherwise are contrary to the plain language of the NFA, misapply Federal law, and are hereby revoked.
Any person who intends to use a handgun stabilizing brace as a shoulder stock on a pistol (having a rifled barrel under 16 inches in length or a smooth bore firearm with a barrel under 18 inches in length) must first file an ATF Form 1 and pay the applicable tax because the resulting firearm will be subject to all provisions of the NFA."

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:17:39 AM by John A. »
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline marcoc

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 11:23:32 AM »
What you are quoting is accurate but they did issue a more recent clarification,  “Therefore, an NFA firearm has not necessarily been made when the device is not re-configured for use as a shoulder stock — even if the attached firearm happens to be fired from the shoulder.” Which in my limited comprehension states that the brace can be shouldered.

Offline John A.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 12:29:59 PM »
Federal law specifically includes the verbiage "shoulder fired".

26 U.S. Code § 5845 - Definitions

(c)  Rifle 

The term “rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed cartridge.

Emphasis highlighted above is rather self explanatory.

And regardless of which opinion letter that you are reading, doesn't change what the law actually says.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:32:24 PM by John A. »

Offline marcoc

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 12:59:43 PM »
It doesnt change the legislation, you are right. The opinion letter changes how it is enforced though.

Offline Arndog123

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 01:25:32 PM »
Do they make the Tailhook brace for the MP5 clones now?  Nice collection btw. 8)

Offline marcoc

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 01:40:11 PM »
There's one company that I read somewhere that does it.
Tech Smith?  I mangled this one myself.

Do they make the Tailhook brace for the MP5 clones now?  Nice collection btw. 8)

Offline Atomic Punk

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 04:17:37 PM »
Check out the new Strongarm Brace from Doublestar. The thing is more solid than half the stocks on the market. You would knock someone out with a bracestroke.   

Manufacturers are certainly pushing this to the limits.

Offline John A.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 04:26:13 PM »
brace construction material doesn't really change anything or matter.

Most buttstocks are made from wood or plastic these days.

Offline texasmojo

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 09:20:46 PM »
Thats alot of brace investment!!

Offline 1down

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 12:23:24 PM »
I know some fellers that shoot with just the action spring tube shouldered.  No brace needed.  At least that is what I was told. 

anything